fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

another engine swap question.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
69rat

69rat

Male Number of posts : 485
Drives : ratty 69 bug, 88 mk2 golf
Registration date : 2008-07-08

another engine swap question. Empty
PostSubject: another engine swap question.   another engine swap question. EmptyFri Mar 06 2009, 22:21

just out of interest really. i have a mk3 golf 1600 its got the polo type engine in it and to be honest ive never been a fan of these engines. slow,thirsty and problematic. how easy would it be to fit a 8v 1800 or maybe 8v gti. is it a matter of plugging new engine loom in or is it mayjor wiring issues?

obviously ecu would have to be changed too.
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: another engine swap question.   another engine swap question. EmptyFri Mar 06 2009, 22:40

The sub frame will no doubt be different due to the way the engine leans over or you might be able to get away with different mounts on the same subframe. Guessing the front crossmember will need changing too that the front engine mount sits on. Different manifold and exhaust obviously but you will know about that. Engine wiring is only 2 plugs in the back of the fusebox for whatever engine you decide, for the work it is to put in you might as well put in a 2.0 8v gti engine you MIGHT need a stronger fuel pump with it being multi point injection which is a bit annoying in the mk3 as its an in tank lift pump so you have to drop the tank out.

In short dude i dont really think its worth the hasstle considering you can pick up an 8v gti mk3 for peanuts now.
Back to top Go down
69rat

69rat

Male Number of posts : 485
Drives : ratty 69 bug, 88 mk2 golf
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: another engine swap question.   another engine swap question. EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 00:02

well the car is gonna be kept as my girlfriend is having it end of summer. so needs to be reliable. plus its so slow lol. also she wants this car as its her favourite colour. (dont ask!) fuel pump shouldbe ok the car is already multipoint injection

so basically if i had a smashed up 8v gti its a matterof swapping subframes with engine etc and pluging it into the fusebox? sounds to easy!

by the way i still want them wheels if you still got them?
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: another engine swap question.   another engine swap question. EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 09:29

yeah if you can get a whole donor car would make it easy. Everything would unbolt and unplug from the other car and bolt in and transfer straight into your car that goes for the 1.8 8v, 2.0 8v, 2.0 16v and the VR basically all mk3 engines use the same fusebox setup and everything.

Doubt you would even need to find a smashed up mk3 ive seen them go with tax and test for £300 so try and find a rotten one and your onto a winner.
Back to top Go down
Ashley

Ashley

Male Number of posts : 1165
Drives : Vento 1.9TDi
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: another engine swap question.   another engine swap question. EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 10:39

you probably should think about brakes too, to be fair..

what engine code is the 1.6 you've got? if you thought 1600 was slow you should try a 1.4 Cool
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: another engine swap question.   another engine swap question. EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 12:24

if he gets a whole donor car he can swap everything over cheers
Back to top Go down
Ashley

Ashley

Male Number of posts : 1165
Drives : Vento 1.9TDi
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: another engine swap question.   another engine swap question. EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 12:45

choice of 5 stud too Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: another engine swap question.   another engine swap question. Empty

Back to top Go down

another engine swap question.
Page 1 of 1