fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another engine swap thread

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jonnyboy17

jonnyboy17

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Another engine swap thread Empty
PostSubject: Another engine swap thread   Another engine swap thread EmptySat Aug 28 2010, 19:03

Right guys..

ive got a 1988 (F) Mk2 Jetta.. currently 1.8 8v Carb.. and im looking to put an ABF into it..

ive heard that the tank, fuel lines, etc, need changing? but is this so?

also.. if i was to purchase an ABF engine and wiring loom, kr fuel pump, would it be a case of swapping the engines over (mounts the same?), using my 4+e gearbox while fitting a 16v flywheel and clutch, and wiring up the engine loom into my fusebox (with a bit of splicing?) or would i need different fusebox etc?

ive searched and read many other threads, just not sure, as all others are about 1.3,etc so need different mounts, etc.

The mechanical swap im ok with doing, its just i need to be sure what exactly wants swapping, joining, modifying, etc.

any info would be great.

Jonny
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Another engine swap thread   Another engine swap thread EmptySat Aug 28 2010, 19:44

With the abf being digifant, you'd only need a gravity fed inline pump. No need for the accumilator crap that k-jets need.

Yeah the engine will bolt up fine with the 4+e box, just use a gti clutch kit and flywheel

Unfortunately as your jetta is on a F plate, its the pre90 spec so has the older fuse panel to what the abf engined cars had. In other words, Not plug and play.

ABF running original injection has been done a fair few times into older model cars though so gaining the info for wiring should be easy Another engine swap thread 51732
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
jonnyboy17

jonnyboy17

PostSubject: Re: Another engine swap thread   Another engine swap thread EmptySat Aug 28 2010, 19:51

so i should be able to just get away with an inline pump? not replace lines etc?

cheers dude

Jonny
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

PostSubject: Re: Another engine swap thread   Another engine swap thread EmptySat Aug 28 2010, 20:07

jonnyboy17 wrote:
so i should be able to just get away with an inline pump? not replace lines etc?

cheers dude

Jonny

Yep, the lines should be fine mate
Back to top Go down
jonnyboy17

jonnyboy17

PostSubject: Re: Another engine swap thread   Another engine swap thread EmptySat Aug 28 2010, 20:16

cheers dude.

just need to find the balls to actually start it when ive got the bits!!

since its my daily i need it done over a weekend or similar. so i now gotta do all the homework i can!! haha

Jonny
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

PostSubject: Re: Another engine swap thread   Another engine swap thread EmptySat Aug 28 2010, 20:20

You'll be doing well to get it done in a weekend mate. You best get a bike loaned from ya works Another engine swap thread Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
jonnyboy17

jonnyboy17

PostSubject: Re: Another engine swap thread   Another engine swap thread EmptySat Aug 28 2010, 21:35

haha dont do biking. i may book a weeks holiday and do it then!
Back to top Go down
alpinecraigmk2

Male Number of posts : 117
Drives : Mk2 white 3dr 2.0 WIDETRACK, ZX636R NINJA for sale
Registration date : 2010-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Another engine swap thread   Another engine swap thread EmptyThu Dec 02 2010, 20:37

tried to do myn over a weekend but now just over 2 weeks lol, (but only cos of the weather)
i used the mk3 tank and lines well easy straight fit. and i also used the mk3 fusebox and full car loom and mk3 subframe, literally a bolt together and plug in job, you can use the mk2 subframe but may have inlet/bonnet clearance issues and the downpipe hitting the bulkhead . as the mk3 subframe lets the block sit about 20mm lower you can get round the mani/bulkhead issue with a 20mm spacer between the mani and dowpipe.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another engine swap thread   Another engine swap thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Another engine swap thread
Page 1 of 1