fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrisCannon

ChrisCannon

Male Number of posts : 61
Drives : MK4 Golf TDI
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems   Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems EmptyMon Aug 29 2011, 21:31

Evening all

I seem to have some very heavy steering. It's only come about in the past few days and having driven a mates car of the same model and various other cars i have a feeling its not normal.

Possible contributing factors would include just having the wheel balanced and new tyres fitted to the two front wheels at ATS in Cambridge. I did ask them to check the tracking aswell but there is no evidence on the invoice and nothing was mentioned to me. Since then (almost immediately) the car has been pulling to the left quite a bit.

Could use any help before i forfeit and take it back to ATS.

Much appreciated

Chris
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems   Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems EmptyTue Aug 30 2011, 05:12

my mk4 pulls to the left and there is nothing obvious to answer why; coilovers are level, tracking, ballancing all good, no obvious worn bushes and bent parts.

also my Fiances uncles mk4 also pulls to the left and again his has nothing obvious wrong with it
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems   Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems EmptyTue Aug 30 2011, 07:44

YOu do have wider wheels than mitch on there, if you're about this morning I can check the fluid etc.
Back to top Go down
ChrisCannon

ChrisCannon

Male Number of posts : 61
Drives : MK4 Golf TDI
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems   Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems EmptyTue Aug 30 2011, 12:08

The steering has changed in the time i have had those wheels on there. It got slightly lighter when new tyres went on but got heavy after a bit more driving.

Just had the tracking done and its worse, the guy did the tracking right and showed me where it was out and i could watch the gauge as he did it.

Its pulling more to the left now and the steering is off centre to the right when it was to the left before.

Will check tyre pressures but it shouldn't be low only two weeks after new tyres went on surely??

can't remember the last time i didn't have a problem on a car :/

Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems   Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems EmptySun Sep 18 2011, 07:10

Look guys its fairly simple.

Steering geometry is an arse. It's as important to have the camber and tracking done at the same time by someone who really understands what's going on.

I'm betting the camber is out, or the track is wrong (note not tracking)

Then to complicate matters it can all feel perfectly ok round the car park but as soon as you hit the road the camber pulls you to the curb.

All cars pull to the left a little. Oh the other thing that makes em pull is worn ball joints or track rod ends and these won't show by getting your tracking done.
You just have to break the tre or bbj and feel for play, putting a bar on it does not always show it. whenever I get a new motor that pulls I inspect the joints, its free and i have a known starting point.

If I were you I'd take it to Cambridge performance tyres , explain what's up and get it properly aligned, be prepared for a nice bill though, getting it done right is not cheap, get the fitter to test drive it with you. Two hundred yards is not a test drive. Two miles is.
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems   Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems EmptySun Sep 18 2011, 21:22

I've driven it guy its just it tracking in the ruts in the road. You cant adjust the camber on mk4's anyway. The a6 is awful for getting in the lorry grooves!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems   Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Mk4 Golf GT TDi Steering problems
Page 1 of 1