fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MK2 Golf steering noise?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dezbo

Dezbo

Male Number of posts : 39
Drives : 1991 MK2 Golf GTi 8v
Registration date : 2008-06-20

MK2 Golf steering noise? Empty
PostSubject: MK2 Golf steering noise?   MK2 Golf steering noise? EmptySat Jun 12 2010, 11:34

My MK2 golf has developed a graunching noise from somewhere in the steering/suspension.

It only happens when moving slowly or at a standstill and can be heard and felt through the steering wheel when about 2/3 of the way through lock to lock. Sound more like it is coming from the N/S. Gets worse when the weather is hot, so something must be expanding with the heat. Will not happen when the car is jack up or on a ramp with no weight on the front.

I've replaced the top strut mount on the N/S but the noise is still there.

Any suggestions would be great.
Back to top Go down
Dezbo

Dezbo

PostSubject: Another noise on the MK2   MK2 Golf steering noise? EmptyWed Jun 16 2010, 21:43

Now the golf has developed another noise which is even worse that the above.

Noticed it yesterday for the first time after travelling to up the A14/M6 to Drayton Manor and whilst slowly moving along in second gear on tickover there is a loud grinding noise coming from the front. Noise will disappear when accelerating but then reappear when decelerating but lightly feathering the throttle. Can also get the noise when decelerating in 3rd gear, again lightly feathering the throttle.

Noise sounds rotational and makes no difference if the clutch is pressed or not.

Also can happen in first gear just creeping along. but will always go when accelerating.

Car is lowered on 40mm Spax springs, one side seems to have dropped by about 5mm but not sure if this would have an effect.

Can be felt through the top strut on the driver side.

Any help please people??
Back to top Go down
red_MK2_ryder

red_MK2_ryder

Male Number of posts : 89
Drives : Mk2 Ryder 1.3 - MK2 GTI 8V
Registration date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf steering noise?   MK2 Golf steering noise? EmptyThu Jun 17 2010, 22:42

Could possibly be the driveshaft joint? but to be honest it could be a lot of things, from your post you are in St Ives, i could come and have a look it you want? MK2 Golf steering noise? 460227
Back to top Go down
Dezbo

Dezbo

PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf steering noise?   MK2 Golf steering noise? EmptyThu Jun 17 2010, 22:51

red_MK2_ryder wrote:
Could possibly be the driveshaft joint? but to be honest it could be a lot of things, from your post you are in St Ives, i could come and have a look it you want? MK2 Golf steering noise? 460227

Cheers for the offer but managed to sort the second noise out today. Turned out to be the o/s/f spring was knackered so I put the standard springs back on.
Back to top Go down
red_MK2_ryder

red_MK2_ryder

Male Number of posts : 89
Drives : Mk2 Ryder 1.3 - MK2 GTI 8V
Registration date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf steering noise?   MK2 Golf steering noise? EmptyFri Jun 18 2010, 09:13

Thats good, glad its sorted, only resason i offered is that i am in St Ives myself, and always happy to help a fellow dubber MK2 Golf steering noise? 651561
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MK2 Golf steering noise?   MK2 Golf steering noise? Empty

Back to top Go down

MK2 Golf steering noise?
Page 1 of 1