fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Polo won't start.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Schern

Schern

Male Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Polo won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Polo won't start.   Polo won't start. EmptyMon Dec 29 2008, 23:43

Came to fire the car up after it had been stood for 3-4 days over Christmas and it wouldn't fire. Engine turned over fine to start with but just wouldn't fire. Fuel gauge wasn't registering anything so I figured I'd run it pretty low before Christmas so maybe I'm out or it had evaporated or something. Bunged 5 litres in and the fuel gauge has moved to just over empty so there should be enough now, but it still won't fire. Battery went flat so I jump started it off the other car but still no joy. Is it possible that I've got an air lock somewhere? I took the air filter cover off (1.05l single point) and it looks like I can see fuel squirting from the injector although it doesn't smell particularly petrol-ly. If I crank the car for 5-10 seconds and cut the ignition it sounds like its firing slightly (you get a couple of quiet coughs and the engine seems to kick over a tiny bit) but it never fires and smoke/fuel vapour gets kicked out of the inlet manifold around the injector. Anybody got any ideas? I've not got any WD40 at the moment so haven't been able to squirt any over HT leads or in the dizzy cap etc, and I've not checked yet if I've got a spark from the plugs as it was cold and dark! What's the easiest way to check for a spark? Pull the plugs out one at a time and watch?
Back to top Go down
LewisG

LewisG

Male Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Polo won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polo won't start.   Polo won't start. EmptyTue Dec 30 2008, 11:24

I had exactly the same problem with my polo, same model and engine, and found it was damp in the ignition circuit and a bad coil earth.

I used some spark testers first to see if i was getting a spark (these look like plastic spark plugs, that go inbetween the ht lead and spark plug, you can pick them up from halfreuds etc for a couple o quid) took apart all ignition connections, wiped them clean and dry, and bolted down the earth lead from the coil.

Worked for me.
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Polo won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polo won't start.   Polo won't start. EmptyTue Dec 30 2008, 12:35

yeah saying bout the earth leads an old gti that i used to own had starting troubles so i removed all earth straps and cleaned up alll the connectors before putting them back and it helped a bit
Back to top Go down
Schern

Schern

Polo won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polo won't start.   Polo won't start. EmptyWed Dec 31 2008, 14:38

Got it started in the end. Managed to snap one of the HT leads off in the dizzy cap whilst spraying WD40 everywhere so I replaced the cap, arm and leads. Once I'd got the firing order sorted (school boy error) it struck up fine. The earthing strap from the coil is a bit crap really so that'll be the next thing I try if it happens again as I'm not sure I've located the issue, but at least I've got it started!
Back to top Go down
Tom

Tom

Male Number of posts : 314
Drives : MK4 Ibiza PD130
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Polo won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polo won't start.   Polo won't start. EmptyWed Dec 31 2008, 17:38

I've had issues with my girlfriends mk3 today i cant get hers started either. Have you checked the battery voltage? Just measured the girlfriends and its 11.2v so i think her battery is knackered. Older polos sure like to test you don't they!
Back to top Go down
Schern

Schern

Polo won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polo won't start.   Polo won't start. EmptyThu Jan 01 2009, 20:17

I put a new battery in it a couple of months ago so I know it wasn't that! Worried that by flattening it I'd have knackered it but it seems to be charging fine now its back up and running.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Polo won't start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polo won't start.   Polo won't start. Empty

Back to top Go down

Polo won't start.
Page 1 of 1