fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

fitting a 4-2-1 manifold

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
brynt

brynt

Male Number of posts : 211
Drives : lupo gti
Registration date : 2008-05-13

fitting a 4-2-1 manifold Empty
PostSubject: fitting a 4-2-1 manifold   fitting a 4-2-1 manifold EmptyFri Nov 27 2009, 14:47

how easy is it to change a standard manifold for a 4-2-1 on a drive way witht he car on axel stands ??

any advice much appreictated
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: fitting a 4-2-1 manifold   fitting a 4-2-1 manifold EmptySat Nov 28 2009, 11:22

on a mk2? 8v?

it can be an absolute arsehole depending on if you can get manifold bolts undone.

the first way todo it is to remove your inlet manifold, this maybe 6 6mm allen key heads and then you will have 8, maybe 12-13mm nuts to undo on the exhaust manifold. then you will then have to undo the downpipe from your middle box.

other than this there is a a guard/bracket that bolts to the inlet and exhaust that you will also have to take off in turn to get to the bolts behind it.

basically this can be a painful job because the existing nuts and bolts have been tight for 20years.

my prefered method is to remove the head with all the mannifolds still attached. this way you can fight/struggle with any tricky seized fixings on the floor/workshop bench etc.

this method relies on the fact that you can undo 6, i think 17mm, nuts that attached the standard exhaust mani to the downpipe. the easiest way to remove these is to be underneath your car and use various extensions and knuckles to get to the nuts.

unfortunately these also maybe tight as f**k. if you do manage to undo this then take the head off put new 4 branch on and then see if you can feed the lot back onto the block with the mani attached.

if your doing it this way you can put a new headgasket etc on your car effectively giving it a decent service.

other people may agree/disagree with these brief how to's but ive took a number of mk2's apart for engine conversions etc, the last one was last week, and going the loing way about a 4branch can often be the easiest in the end.

youll at least need some;
quality allen keys
socket set with various extensions and a knucle
spanners

failing that you might also need some penetrating fluid and a GRINDER
Back to top Go down
brynt

brynt

PostSubject: Re: fitting a 4-2-1 manifold   fitting a 4-2-1 manifold EmptySun Nov 29 2009, 13:48

ok cheers mte thats givin me enough info on what i need to do and its alright i got from hal two on friday to sunday evening to get it on lol
Back to top Go down
ml bob

ml bob

Male Number of posts : 82
Drives : ml merc,mk3 cl golf
Registration date : 2009-12-24

PostSubject: Re: fitting a 4-2-1 manifold   fitting a 4-2-1 manifold EmptySat Dec 26 2009, 16:42

ill give you a hand mate.well sort it.got the whole system to go on aint ya?
Back to top Go down
brynt

brynt

PostSubject: Re: fitting a 4-2-1 manifold   fitting a 4-2-1 manifold EmptySat Dec 26 2009, 23:00

yer man i booked it in garage now as part of a xmas presant Smile
Back to top Go down
azzeer

azzeer

Male Number of posts : 837
Drives : polo mk3 breadvan
Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: fitting a 4-2-1 manifold   fitting a 4-2-1 manifold EmptySat Dec 26 2009, 23:07

brynt wrote:
why dont u and bob do it for free lol
Back to top Go down
Dan34

Dan34

Male Number of posts : 1409
Drives : DC5
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: fitting a 4-2-1 manifold   fitting a 4-2-1 manifold EmptySat Dec 26 2009, 23:43

azzeer wrote:
brynt wrote:
why dont u and bob do it for free lol

Cause its an absoloute ball ache of a job, took my mate like 8 ish hours to do mine in the end.

Dan
Back to top Go down
http://www.ec-dc.co.uk
ml bob

ml bob

Male Number of posts : 82
Drives : ml merc,mk3 cl golf
Registration date : 2009-12-24

PostSubject: Re: fitting a 4-2-1 manifold   fitting a 4-2-1 manifold EmptySun Dec 27 2009, 10:06

i got all the time in the world and i would be free.Makes sense to me.Or you can pay me if it makes you feel better bout it fitting a 4-2-1 manifold 651561
Back to top Go down
brynt

brynt

PostSubject: Re: fitting a 4-2-1 manifold   fitting a 4-2-1 manifold EmptySun Dec 27 2009, 17:24

lol i didnt know bout it my dad just gives it you wont have a car on the 5th cos its goin in the garage
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fitting a 4-2-1 manifold   fitting a 4-2-1 manifold Empty

Back to top Go down

fitting a 4-2-1 manifold
Page 1 of 1