fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cupra16vgeezer

cupra16vgeezer

Male Number of posts : 470
Drives : 205 gti 1.9..defected to the darkside!!!
Registration date : 2009-01-14

ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! Empty
PostSubject: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptySun Aug 23 2009, 20:57

After me and lee (admittedly mostly lee!!!!) spent 6 hours changing my gearbox on friday my bloody clutch seems to be slipping now!!! but not all the time! I came off a roundabout in 2nd and floored it all the way to 7k rpm in 4th up a hill with no troubles (on a private road I managed an easy 120mph) and yet coming back later down the hill it slipped from around 5k rpm and the revs shot up but with no extra speed, and the same when i shifted to 5th. I tried letting the clutch out in gear when stationary and stalled straight away. it also seems to slip on an aggressive 1st to 2nd sh1te when I tried it. it wasn't slipping before!!! also the clutch bite point is very high. the slightest touch on the clutch pedal will disengage the clutch. any ideas? i'm at my bloody wits end now:x first the engine died, then after buying it a new interior the gearbox died. and now this!!! it's doing my head in!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptySun Aug 23 2009, 21:55

adjust the cable?
Back to top Go down
cupra16vgeezer

cupra16vgeezer

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptySun Aug 23 2009, 22:29

i'm being thick as fcuk here but how?scratch
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptyMon Aug 24 2009, 07:12

depends if you gota manual adjusting cable though.

go out and check whether your clutch cable has threads on it on the piece that sits above the clutch/gearbox arm that it goes throug.

does this make sense?

if it has then its a question of loosening the nuts and turning it until happy with the bite point
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptyMon Aug 24 2009, 07:13

if it hasnt got the threads then you got a self adjusting cable whih you cant really do anything with.....then you need to buy a manual adjust cable
Back to top Go down
cupra16vgeezer

cupra16vgeezer

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptyMon Aug 24 2009, 08:02

ah that explains it then! I don't have any threads on the cable. I remember on my old 8v the cable had threads and a locking nut to adjust but the one on my car now has a spring under the rubber boot and thats it. could it just be that the lever that the cable pulls to disengage the clutch needs to be in a slightly different position on the new 'box compared to the old one then? the clutch is a brand new exedy that I put on when I did the bottom end.
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptyMon Aug 24 2009, 08:23

put that auto adjust cable in the bin they are sh1te... go and buy a manual adjusting one.
Back to top Go down
cupra16vgeezer

cupra16vgeezer

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptyMon Aug 24 2009, 11:37

do they cause this type of problem then I take it?
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptyMon Aug 24 2009, 15:16

cupra16vgeezer wrote:
do they cause this type of problem then I take it?

yup all the time they are shite
Back to top Go down
cupra16vgeezer

cupra16vgeezer

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptyMon Aug 24 2009, 18:00

hope so cos it slips whenever I boot it from 3rd onwards! also there is about 1.5" of "dead travel" before the clutch pedal actually pulls on anything! i'm gonna change the cable this weekend and if that don't fix i i'll be selling it cos i'm getting very fed up now.Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptyMon Aug 24 2009, 18:08

you really are having the worst luck dude... im sure somebody said VWs are meant to be reliable
Back to top Go down
cupra16vgeezer

cupra16vgeezer

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptyMon Aug 24 2009, 22:23

this is my 4th mk2 gti! the brake disc sheared and ripped the caliper off the 1st one, the second was a non mot'd project that I had to sell before I could finish it, the third one was a 63k mile minter that suffered excessive bore wear and scored pistons that killed it by 70k miles and now this one!!!! oh yeah....not forgetting the very reason I now only drive sub £1500 cars! my corrado G60....over £6k spent and got rammed off the road by some arse overtaking on a blind bend! I could only afford 3rd party F&T too!!!!!
Back to top Go down
cupra16vgeezer

cupra16vgeezer

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptyTue Aug 25 2009, 18:32

yeah!!!!! fixed it!!!!!! I bodged the cable with tywraps to sit further down and even though I now have about 3" of dead travel in the clutch pedal the clutch no longer slips!!! for the first time since i've owned it I had a perfect high speed drive out down a nice country back road with no issues!!!! rock on!!!!cheers Basketball sunny
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! EmptySat Aug 29 2009, 06:40

cupra16vgeezer wrote:
yeah!!!!! fixed it!!!!!! I bodged the cable with tywraps to sit further down and even though I now have about 3" of dead travel in the clutch pedal the clutch no longer slips!!! for the first time since i've owned it I had a perfect high speed drive out down a nice country back road with no issues!!!! rock on!!!!cheers Basketball sunny

good to hear this mate! you have had some real bad luck though. chin up Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!   ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

ffs!!! i think my clutch is slipping now!!!
Page 1 of 1