fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A couple of running issues

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cipher

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-09-21

A couple of running issues Empty
PostSubject: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyFri Apr 20 2012, 16:19

I recently had some problems with my 1.8 16v KR Mk2 Golf that I sorted. A vacuum hose came off and was causing the car to idle at 3000rpm and run like a bag of .... Sorted that and then the car was hunting very badly and idling very badly, cutting out a lot. Set up the CO to 2.05% and the idle to 1000rpm. Now that I've sorted those problems I've run into some more.

The car doesn't like starting from cold unless I feather the throttle. The car had been running ok for two days until this morning. Car started after a few seconds of feathered throttle and then about 5 miles down the road the car started to idle where I last had my foot on the throttle. Turned it off for a few minutes and then it just started hunting very badly again but the throttle didn't stick.

Got to where I needed to be and then turned the car off. Came back an hour later started it and it was ok, then suddenly it started hunting again. Then I disconnected the ISV and the revs dropped a lot and the hunting went away. Reconnected it and then restarted the car and it was fine?

When I disconnect the electrical connection to the ISV, the revs drop and then when I reconnect it while the car is running; should the revs return to normal or should I have to reconnect it? Should the car cut out when I disconnect the electrical connector on the ISV, like it does on my other golf?

Also, when adjusting the CO on the metering head with the allen key should I be able to move the VAF/metal dish in the head as well. When I was setting it up, if i pushed down the car would cut out. I presume this is because the car isn't getting any air. Is this movement of the VAF normal?

The problem seems to be very intermittent, and hasn't come back yet on my return journey home.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cipher

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyFri Apr 20 2012, 20:55

Quick update. Just been out in the car and it was fine for a bit before it started to hunt again and then very slightly kangerooing at low revs and low speeds. Again it didn't like starting from cold and idled quite poorly for the first few minutes. When it started hunting again I pulled over an disconnected the fifth injector and it made no difference. Then I disconnected the ISV while the car was running and it idled fine and no longer hunted. Reconnected it and them restarted the car and it hunted again. Drove home with it disconnected and it drove and idled perfectly fine. I'm going to try and test the temperature sensors for the ISV and see if it has any impact on it, tomorrow.

If the ISV controller was playing up what symptoms would it give?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptySat Apr 21 2012, 06:26

There's a thread about hunting 16vs on edition38
Back to top Go down
Cipher

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptySat Apr 21 2012, 06:33

I've looked through it, and loads of others. And usually I can sort the problem. But it's only happening when the car is warm, after about 15 minutes of driving. Which is what is confusing me. Then as soon as I disconnect the ISV the problem goes away!
Back to top Go down
Cipher

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptySun Apr 22 2012, 11:10

No joy so far today. Took off crankcase breather pipe to air box, double checked vacuums and breathers. Disconnected overrun electrical connector and the car just idled at 2000rpm. Reset the idle speed and CO again with the red connector disconnected and it idled at 1050rpm. Switched off the car and then started it and it idled at about 900-950rpm? This has me thinking the idle controller behind the dash could be faulty. Tried disconnecting the cold start valve while it was hunting and it didn't make a difference. I am running out of ideas now!
Back to top Go down
Cipher

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyMon Apr 23 2012, 21:07

Anyone got any ideas?
Back to top Go down
ra man

ra man

Male Number of posts : 119
Drives : mk2 20v, defender 90, ccm r30, yzf r6
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyTue Apr 24 2012, 12:10

i always set idle with idle valve disconnected and warm engine.
then it has a lot less work to do.
Back to top Go down
Cipher

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyTue Apr 24 2012, 22:51

I did that but the problem still consists. It only hunts when hot!
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 11:02

It certainly sounds like an odd one,

but if it goes away with the isv disconnected could that mean that the isv is jammed or not set correctly ?
Back to top Go down
Cipher

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 11:43

I've tried a known working isv and it didn't change anything. What is bizarre is how the problem only starts when the car is warm. I've replaced or of the temp sensors which made no change either.

Idle speed and co have been done twice. Both times with the red lead disconnected
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 12:13

I used to have a book on kjet on how to maintain, set up etc.
I haven't seen it in ages but I'll go look for you.
Back to top Go down
Cipher

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 12:32

Briliant, thanks very much. I'm running out of ideas!

If it is the wur that is causing the problem then it would be all the time wouldn't it? And if the CSV was leaking then it would be all the time? I think the CSV is at fault anyway as the car hates cold starts.
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 12:43

Right I've just been to look and it's not where it should be so I'm guessing someones borrowed it and not returned it...typical really

My suspicions are the csv getting stuck, not uncommon if i remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
Cipher

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 12:54

I'll replace the CSV as soon as it stops raining! Is replacing the CSV and the wur just a case of unboting the fuel lines and the bolts to the manifold? And then rebolting it all back up?
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 12:57

As I haven't been near a kjet in what must be about ten years I'm totally guessing yes.
Back to top Go down
Cipher

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 13:19

On second thought, if the wur or CSV was leaking it/causing idle issues then it would happen regardless of whether or not the isv electrical connector was disconnected. Although it could be causing my cold starting issues I don't believe it is causing my idle issues
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A couple of running issues   A couple of running issues Empty

Back to top Go down

A couple of running issues
Page 1 of 1