fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mk4 golf driveshaft problem

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Crispy

Crispy

Male Number of posts : 13
Drives : Mk4 Golf
Registration date : 2010-11-28

mk4 golf driveshaft problem Empty
PostSubject: mk4 golf driveshaft problem   mk4 golf driveshaft problem EmptySat Oct 15 2011, 10:52

got a mk4 golf, had a reconditioned gearbox fitted less then 3000 miles ago and keeps popping the near side driveshaft inner joint/bearing gearbox end, had a new flange and still does it, any thoughts on whats wrong?

many thanks in advance..
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: mk4 golf driveshaft problem   mk4 golf driveshaft problem EmptyWed Oct 19 2011, 16:13

Has the car been lowered ?

If so it could be due to that, if not then I'd look at the ball joint, lower arm bushes and suspension leg as it could be dragging that side putting undue pressure on the shaft causing the wear.

Has the car been in an accident ? it could have a sub frame out of alignment.

Does it pull to one side or have uneven tyre wear on the front ?
A wheel bearing slowly trying to sieze could have a similar effect too so worth checking that out.

Have you ever had the car four wheel aligned and camber adjusted , potentially this would show this up (assuming the fitter knows what hes looking for/at)

It could be a combination of all the above, none of them on their own should cause these symptoms but accumilativley they could.

Back to top Go down
Crispy

Crispy

Male Number of posts : 13
Drives : Mk4 Golf
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: mk4 golf driveshaft problem   mk4 golf driveshaft problem EmptyThu Oct 20 2011, 14:51

nope the car hasn't been lowerd..

its been shunted up the rear, as the rear bumper dont quite fit as its been pushed forward..

but, it didnt do it with the old gearbox so could it be ratios wrong or something? as it is always that side and not the other, but i have noticed that sides steering rack has slight play but wouldnt of thought it could cause this?
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: mk4 golf driveshaft problem   mk4 golf driveshaft problem EmptyThu Oct 20 2011, 18:42

Changing ratios wont make any diference what so ever.

The rack may affect it but ive had racks with massive play and not had this kind of issue.

The more I think about it the more I think I'd be looking at your wheel bearing as that may be why your last box ate itself (and the fact they're made of chocolate)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mk4 golf driveshaft problem   mk4 golf driveshaft problem Empty

Back to top Go down

mk4 golf driveshaft problem
Page 1 of 1