fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

seem to have a bit of a problem.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

seem to have a bit of a problem. Empty
PostSubject: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 19:12

so today i go to start the golf, key in ignition, turned it and nothing at all... no dash lights nothing. so i thought it must be a dead battery, fully charged it and still nothing, the battery was brand new in the summer, started fine just a few weeks ago when i last moved it.

what the f**k is wrong with it?
Back to top Go down
vw clarkson

vw clarkson

Male Number of posts : 196
Drives : mk 2 golf
Registration date : 2011-01-11

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 19:29

Could be the igntion switch. Car you turn the key as far as you would to start the car? If so it could be the switch or a broken wire
Back to top Go down
vw clarkson

vw clarkson

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 19:29

And is it auto or manaul?
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 19:36

i dont see it being the ignition switch as nothing is working, headlights, brake lights, interior lights and hazard lights, they would all work even with a broken ignition switch.
Back to top Go down
vw clarkson

vw clarkson

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 19:50

Dont know then mate sorry. Is it manual or auto?
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 19:53

vw clarkson wrote:
Dont know then mate sorry. Is it manual or auto?

i dont either :(

its a manual
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 19:58

Sounds like either a blown master fuse (check the ones on the top on the battery) or an earthing fault that induced by your weather conditions. Check the one leading of the neg battery terminal billy and where it joins to the chassis make sure its making good contact no rust etc.
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 20:17

Lupton_20vt wrote:
Sounds like either a blown master fuse (check the ones on the top on the battery) or an earthing fault that induced by your weather conditions. Check the one leading of the neg battery terminal billy and where it joins to the chassis make sure its making good contact no rust etc.

yeaaa i didnt think to check them haha, gonna try another battery too tomorrow just incase this one is fucked
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 20:29

might just be the cold weather has shagged it tbh. It isnt uncommon.
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 20:45

might be, f*****g Canada.
Back to top Go down
vw clarkson

vw clarkson

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 21:59

billybug wrote:
might be, f*****g Canada.

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptySun Mar 06 2011, 23:24

the earth wire was corroded alot so cleaned it all up still didint work so i tried a different battery and it started straight away, so i guess the stupidly cold conditions killed the battery.
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyTue Mar 08 2011, 11:07

Cold snaps will kill a battery in no time , especially as it'll be under extra load with lights/rear screen/wipers/blowers all on at the same time.

Cold+worn battery = Fail.
Back to top Go down
todd

todd

Male Number of posts : 765
Drives : 75 beetle, 72 beetle back on the road
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyTue Mar 08 2011, 13:53

I just started my beetle this morning for the first time since late October and I had forgotten to disconnect the battery. It was in a leaky garage and started straight away so thank you to our mild winters for not killing my battery Smile
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. EmptyTue Mar 08 2011, 19:56

guy wrote:
Cold snaps will kill a battery in no time , especially as it'll be under extra load with lights/rear screen/wipers/blowers all on at the same time.

Cold+worn battery = Fail.

the battery was new, was replaced few months before i bought the car, i think it was a super cheap one though. next winter it will be in a warm work shop for most of it and will be spending a few weeks in California so it shouldnt see the winter at all!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: seem to have a bit of a problem.   seem to have a bit of a problem. Empty

Back to top Go down

seem to have a bit of a problem.
Page 1 of 1