fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby

Go down 
+24
BigMonty
Em-Dub
Sam
greased-up-deaf-guy
Whitegt
Z-Dubber
Shaun
bobs vw
DrunkenDubber
martinb
mk1g60phill
CaddyRage
Tom
billybug
Ed
pinky
MarkGTX
curtis_caddy
polo steph
bridgedubber
Dejan1983
matty_mk1
g6tey
Tiz
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 11 2008, 19:53

no pictures over the last few days cause ive been working my ass off to get it on the road and sorted out properly, every time i put something on i find i need to change something else. Just the problems you face when your making a hybrid i suppose of mk3 and mk2 parts.

Well yesterday i was putting the brakes on and found out the calipers i had planned to use were no good for the 280mm conversion as they weren't wide enough to fit over the new pads, the alternative so i read was to shave down the pads or run used pads and shave down the slider pins.... Neither of these i was going to do cause i didnt want a bodge up i wanted it done right. After that i found out the donor i have being a K reg used the early 280mm calipers rather than the 288mm the later ones used so i had 2 calipers to rebuild as they were knackered seals wise and corroded pistons, so took the pistons out and polished them up, i happened to have 2 very good 256mm calipers which are the same girling 54 so i used the seals from them and built up my new bigger calipers. Anyway now got my g60/vr6 brake hybrid swap done and they look fecking huge, i had to shave down the caliper a bit to fit it inside my borbets which i thought was quite cool considering they are 16s lol so i will have plenty of stopping power coupled with the bigger master cylinder. Bled the brakes and the new hydraulic clutch setup, everything went well, bleed easy and no leaks, great feel on the clutch and brakes now.

Then decided it was time for some gears so i welded the mounting tabs from the rod shifter to the cable shifter and mounted that all up, got that all working now, of course the bloke who took the engine out lost some MORE parts getting really pissed off with this now as im missing the shifter weight from the selector which affects changing quite a bit so if anybody has an 02a shifter weight i would like to buy it please.

So its now driving, tried it all out and it seems to work fine just trying it in reverse and first checking the bite point......

Came to bleed the power steering to find out contrary to what everybody says on the mk2vr6 forum 4stud mk3 subframes ARE widetrack so i had the wheels pointing in oppersite directions so ive had to go through all that crap today of changing the wishbones for mk2 items and of course you cant get the drivers side front bolt out so had to release an engine mount and jack the engine up to get enough clearence....

Anyway now got that all sorted and seems to have brought the wheels back into line... let it all off the jack and.... powersteering is leaking from somewhere :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale:.

So now my mission tomorrow is to find the power steering leak, fix it and refill the power steering then ive just got to sort the wiring out inside, mount my ecu(its inside the car Wink), put the dash back in, grille and bonnet then after a quick test drive come back check everything is still tight and good. Then im just gonna drive round all bloody day long enjoying the new sound track and power hopefully cause its bloody hard work lol!
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 11 2008, 19:59

Oh the joys of engine conversions hey mate Very Happy

Sure it be worth it when all plays ball Basketball
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 11 2008, 20:05

CaddyRage wrote:
Oh the joys of engine conversions hey mate Very Happy

Sure it be worth it when all plays ball Basketball

No kidding you think everything is fine then all of a sudden you got another huge job to do.
Back to top Go down
bob_drinks_beer

bob_drinks_beer

Male Number of posts : 515
Drives : Polo 6n 1.4 16v
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 12 2008, 09:49

Tiz wrote:

4stud mk3 subframes ARE widetrack so i had the wheels pointing in oppersite directions so ive had to go through all that crap today of changing the wishbones for mk2 items

so mk3 wishbones are wider than mk2? have been thinkin bout making the polo wide track for a while, and as thats basicly a m2 chassis, i may have found the answer... and lots more problems! lol
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 12 2008, 11:00

bob_drinks_beer wrote:
Tiz wrote:

4stud mk3 subframes ARE widetrack so i had the wheels pointing in oppersite directions so ive had to go through all that crap today of changing the wishbones for mk2 items

so mk3 wishbones are wider than mk2? have been thinkin bout making the polo wide track for a while, and as thats basicly a m2 chassis, i may have found the answer... and lots more problems! lol

Thought the polo was a whole different platform on its own? The rear you could space out with stub axle spacers, spacer plates behind the stub axles rather than behind the wheels, saves your wheel bearings and has none of the disadvantages of wheel spacers. Got the old wishbones you can borrow to compare if you want mate?
Back to top Go down
bob_drinks_beer

bob_drinks_beer

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 12 2008, 11:32

Tiz wrote:
bob_drinks_beer wrote:
Tiz wrote:

Thought the polo was a whole different platform on its own? The rear you could space out with stub axle spacers, spacer plates behind the stub axles rather than behind the wheels, saves your wheel bearings and has none of the disadvantages of wheel spacers. Got the old wishbones you can borrow to compare if you want mate?

yeah that'd be cool. dunno if ill ever do it, but it would be nice to know i could! lol
Back to top Go down
Z-Dubber

Z-Dubber

Female Number of posts : 80
Drives : Silver Polo GTI
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 14 2008, 15:47

Cant believe what happened last night u didnt look too happy...

Im gettin quite worried about u because u said u hated life and u hate cars Mad
Hope ur ok!
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 14 2008, 20:27

Z-Dubber wrote:
Cant believe what happened last night u didnt look too happy...

Im gettin quite worried about u because u said u hated life and u hate cars Mad
Hope ur ok!

Something you did'nt tell us earlier today hudson?? scratch

Pleased you had the bo11ocks to show the vr in the end, not many peeps on here woulda done that in a week. Now you know its all good, ya can get on with doing the bay properly like you planned Very Happy

Nice 1 mate. oh yeah, pleased you dint smash it up and burn it the other day lol. All the silly troubles are worth it in the end.
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15 2008, 13:58

haha no just went it was missing like a twit the night before the show i got pissed off and sounded quite suicidal LOL.....

Anyway just put in an order for leads, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm, oil and oil filter so if i change every serviceable item that only leaves me with the wiring and the coilpack tbh, I cleaned the plugs last night and took it out last night and it ran LOADS better so it sounds like it needs new plugs and leads to me buh.
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15 2008, 18:24

well shes all done, few little niggles to sort out but shes getting a full big service tomorrow, new plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, oil, filter

This is how she stands now, plate isnt yet transferred but i have bought it should be transferred by next weekend :

MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00842
Put this on for a laugh
MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00843

MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00844
MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00845
MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00846
MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00847
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15 2008, 18:29

Orange stripe grille ftw Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
mk1g60phill

mk1g60phill

Male Number of posts : 2918
Drives : Seat leon fr 20vt & a t4 land barge hippy van.
Registration date : 2008-02-21

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 15 2008, 18:33

Bet your lovein the vr power now:twisted:
Back to top Go down
http://deborah.ball703@ntlworld.com
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 16 2008, 06:25

matty_mk1 wrote:
Orange stripe grille ftw Cool

for sure!
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

Male Number of posts : 3070
Drives : mk2 driver
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 16 2008, 09:15

and orange detailed centre caps aswel Laughing if you do want them doing im off this week so u can come drop em off tongue wont cost you much either hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18 2008, 16:54

so after getting my 2x2 adapter cable i whacked her on the old vag com to see what the crack was and why it was running crappy and had no power. Fault code that kept appearing was the hall sender. Cleared the code, drove it for a bit and it was mental untill it threw the code again and lost all power so i thought right time to take the dizzy off to check if there is anything obvious....

Pulled the dizzy and the bottom with slots into the cam had a massive crack in it, gave it a tap and it fell apart so that was never going to stand being viced up to change the hall sender.... so it was the time again. VW main dealer time... I went in with my pot of lube and bent over at the parts desk to the tune of £290 for a new one study. £100 is surcharge when i take my old unit in so its not TOO bad i suppose but when i only paid £300 for the donor car its ramping up a bit lol... But if it means im gonna get another 50bhp or so back(as ive read you lose this or more for a knackered dizzy as it controls spark and fuel injection) its cheapish. Plus it will be there saturday in a nice VW parts box.

MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00851

Also sorted out the reason it wouldnt restart off the key anymore the other night. The crappy alarm that got installed in 1943 i think was cutting it out, removed the alarm wiring and rejoined the original cables, now starts without the shitty immobiliser having to be plugged in and also starts loads better and runs nicer so im thinking that was draining power from the engine and fuel pump as it affected both. Wired in my diagnostic port into the original wiring so i can plug my laptop in and scan for fault codes so thats all cool and sorted out the intermitent electric windows with a new relay. So once shes got this new dizzy the engine conversion side of things getting it working right should be done. Just got the asthetics to think about now.. Tidying up the loom, making a cover for the rad and fans(probably a fibreglass one) then its onto some bodywork mods over the winter and some paint.

Winter is gonna be tidy up a freshen up time to get all the little niggles im not happy with sorted out. My main goal is to get it show and shine worthy next year i would be chuffed if i can get it inside at ultimate dubs after im done with all my plans. Just depends how money flow goes i guess.

And to keep you all happy a little video of how it sounds revving with the exhaust etc on. I will get a driveby video when i get it running spot on.

MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 Th_MOV00848
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18 2008, 16:57

oh and the orange stripe grille and orange badges are definately gonna happen just want peoples opinions on 2 things.

The twin lamp grill i have at the minute...

or

A Quad lamp grille

Along with the orange stripe, orange side gti badges and rear orange golf gti badge(black VW) do i orange the front badge or keep it black to tie in with the black rear vw?

Also any suggestions on other things to do bodywork wise cause im always open to new ideas to try out.
Back to top Go down
bob_drinks_beer

bob_drinks_beer

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18 2008, 21:23

i think the orange on blue looks really smart, but recon ya gotta be carefull not to go over the top with it lol. you got spare badges to try out black and orange?
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18 2008, 21:39

yeah think i need to keep the orange down a bit and do more black stuff. Think just the orange round the grille will do. Could always photoshop the other stuff to see what it will look like.
Back to top Go down
bob_drinks_beer

bob_drinks_beer

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 18 2008, 21:45

ive seen some absolute abortions in the past where people have gone colour coding mad! lol
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 20 2008, 10:02

went to pick my new dizzy up today and bloody VW wouldnt take my old one as i hadnt left the dizzy cap and rotor arm on it?!?!?!... apparently they NEED them to be able to take them in exchange even though a rotor arm is like £2 and £8 for a dizzy so had to come all the way home again and gotta take it back in monday complete to get my £105 surcharge back. They love leaving out all these little details and telling me when i get there... Vindis in cambridge from now on cooks piss me off...

hmmmm manky old one

MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00853

oo whats this

MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00854

Yeah boyyyy almost makes me not worried about the £290 it cost lol
MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00855
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 20 2008, 18:04

decided i wanted to change it up a little bit so i have gone for the quad lamp grill and gave her all a good detail on the outside and a good wax. Will get some hard wax before the winter really sets in and give her a couple of good coats so i can just wash it over winter. Anyway this is how she sits at the moment.

MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00856
MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00859
MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00861
MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00863
MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 DSC00864

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 20 2008, 18:30

looks bad azz
Back to top Go down
bob_drinks_beer

bob_drinks_beer

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 20 2008, 19:46

sweet. think the quad grille makes it look even harder. lovin the taped up spots!

what would it look like with one of the spots removed and a cold air inlet in its place? bit chav i know, but id try it Embarassed
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 20 2008, 19:56

liking the 4lamp, not so keen on the taped spotlamps though and still needs an orange surround imo.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 20 2008, 20:16

looks hard as fook mate Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby   MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

MK2 VR6 - Orange and Blue 76 baby
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next