fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?

Go down 
+6
Lupton_20vt
whatalotafun
millfischk69
red_MK2_ryder
guy
whittle
10 posters
AuthorMessage
whittle

whittle

Male Number of posts : 1882
Drives : along the pavement
Registration date : 2009-09-11

do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? Empty
PostSubject: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyWed May 05 2010, 20:46

as title?
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyWed May 05 2010, 21:29

Nope.
Back to top Go down
red_MK2_ryder

red_MK2_ryder

Male Number of posts : 89
Drives : Mk2 Ryder 1.3 - MK2 GTI 8V
Registration date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyWed May 05 2010, 21:58

guy wrote:
Nope.

/\/\/\/\/\ Wot he said do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? 651561
Back to top Go down
whittle

whittle

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyWed May 05 2010, 22:02

what about a fog light?
Back to top Go down
millfischk69

millfischk69

Male Number of posts : 997
Drives : MK1 Golf GX 1457cc, 53 plate MK4 R32 in DPB, Kawasaki Ninja J1
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyWed May 05 2010, 22:10

I am 99% sure you need a fog light
Back to top Go down
red_MK2_ryder

red_MK2_ryder

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyThu May 06 2010, 07:14

thermal wrote:
what about a fog light?

assuming you mean rear not front, then yes, but only legal requirement is one on the drivers side do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? 460227
Back to top Go down
whatalotafun

whatalotafun

Male Number of posts : 1656
Drives : fiesta zetec, eunos roadster, 1970 bug, honda vt 250
Registration date : 2009-06-26

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyThu May 06 2010, 09:51

do you need the foglight if there is no switch?

cos i had an old z650 and it had no indicators, although it was made with them, i had to take the switch out to get it to pass the mot.

but i'm sure this was an age related thing, because the bike was tested as the test were in the time of the bike.

same reason i don't need side repeaters on my cabby but (for example) nelds needs them on his cabby for the MOT.

best asking the mot station to be honest.
Back to top Go down
whittle

whittle

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyThu May 06 2010, 09:58

whatalotafun wrote:
do you need the foglight if there is no switch?

cos i had an old z650 and it had no indicators, although it was made with them, i had to take the switch out to get it to pass the mot.

but i'm sure this was an age related thing, because the bike was tested as the test were in the time of the bike.

exactly, and ive had kit cars with no fog lights or indicators, and bikes with no lights at all!
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyThu May 06 2010, 10:03

pretty definate you have to have one on the drivers side.
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyThu May 06 2010, 11:22

Deffo got to have a fog light.
You don't need a screen but you do if you have wipers.
Back to top Go down
red_MK2_ryder

red_MK2_ryder

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyThu May 06 2010, 12:20

You could (once upon a time) take a car in with no engine for an MOT, as long as you didnt mind pushing it in and out again..... how times have changed do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? Icon_lol

Of course, you would fail now, as the emmisions test cant be done, and the test cant be completed....do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? 298631
Back to top Go down
Jake mk2

Jake mk2

Male Number of posts : 413
Drives : Mk2 Golf GTI
Registration date : 2010-01-30

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyFri May 07 2010, 21:31

red_MK2_ryder wrote:
You could (once upon a time) take a car in with no engine for an MOT, as long as you didnt mind pushing it in and out again..... how times have changed do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? Icon_lol

Of course, you would fail now, as the emmisions test cant be done, and the test cant be completed....do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? 298631

Would it not just have no emissions? Similar to an electric car
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=742850927
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

Male Number of posts : 877
Drives : 76 bus..superfly Tdi
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyFri May 07 2010, 22:02

As above, you dont need emissions on aged related cars as most wont go through .....

On the mk1 you will need the rear fog........

and why dont your dash handbrake light work dude... ok, ive only glanced through your build but it's tight...........make it happendo i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? 651561
Back to top Go down
red_MK2_ryder

red_MK2_ryder

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptySat May 08 2010, 06:33

Jake mk2 wrote:
red_MK2_ryder wrote:

Would it not just have no emissions? Similar to an electric car

Sorry, i am going quite a long time back, when emiisions were not even tested (showing my age i think......do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? Icon_rolleyes )
Back to top Go down
jonnyboy17

jonnyboy17

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptySun Jun 06 2010, 18:40

mk1rolf wrote:
As above, you dont need emissions on aged related cars as most wont go through .....

and why dont your dash handbrake light work dude... ok, ive only glanced through your build but it's tight...........make it happendo i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? 651561

Older cars DO still need an emissions test...

thats what my mk1 kept failing on on its last MOT.. as well as 'too stiff' suspension.
Back to top Go down
millfischk69

millfischk69

Male Number of posts : 997
Drives : MK1 Golf GX 1457cc, 53 plate MK4 R32 in DPB, Kawasaki Ninja J1
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptySun Jun 06 2010, 21:52

Can a car really fail an mot for suspension being 'too stiff', bit worried about my coileys now then lol
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyMon Jun 07 2010, 08:28

yes they can, i have had several fail for it before.
Back to top Go down
red_MK2_ryder

red_MK2_ryder

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyMon Jun 07 2010, 10:39

Tiz wrote:
yes they can, i have had several fail for it before.

Thats a bit of a worry, i know broken springs, and leaking shocks can fail, and i know that in-effective suspension can also fail (too much bounce.. ) i imagine that being too stiff can be a problem too. but i havent had one fail for that yet (fingers crossed)
Back to top Go down
whatalotafun

whatalotafun

Male Number of posts : 1656
Drives : fiesta zetec, eunos roadster, 1970 bug, honda vt 250
Registration date : 2009-06-26

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyMon Jun 07 2010, 13:45

jonnyboy17 wrote:
mk1rolf wrote:

Older cars DO still need an emissions test...

thats what my mk1 kept failing on on its last MOT.. as well as 'too stiff' suspension.
it sounds like your mot man either didn't know what he was doing or you had a late mk1 cabby.

as cars before a "J" platedon't have no emissions test for the mot
Back to top Go down
red_MK2_ryder

red_MK2_ryder

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? EmptyMon Jun 07 2010, 14:15

interesting link, gives quite a lot of info about the MOT :_

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Feature_MOTView?langid=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001

and from that, all cars after 1975 (old p reg) need an emmisions test do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? Icon_lol

Also says if a cars suspension is seized it will fail, so possibly a tester could say that stiff suspension is seized, even though we all know it isnt do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? 11737
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?   do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot? Empty

Back to top Go down

do i have to have a handbrake warning light for an mot?
Page 1 of 1