fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!!

Go down 
+2
james.
MK1G60
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MK1G60
Admin
MK1G60

Male Number of posts : 1015
Drives : MK1 ABF Bike Carbd, MK1 G60/20vt Project, MK1 Caddy 1.6D
Registration date : 2009-08-01

Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!!   Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! EmptyThu Feb 24 2011, 18:32

Had a little problem today removing old top mounts!

Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! P1210954Medium

Bit snapped/twisted off into the end of the strut slaphead

Anyone know somewhere that may be able to remove it? Ive tried to weld to it, no go. Ive tried to drill it, no go....
Back to top Go down
james.

james.

Male Number of posts : 719
Drives : bmw 740
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!!   Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! EmptyThu Feb 24 2011, 19:43

Looks like it has slipped round in the hex aswell hasn't it? Will be propper jammed in..

First thing i'd do is use an air gun to get the nut off and get the strut off the car & on a bench to save damaging the wings ect especially if you're like me and end up wanting to hit things when jobs don't go right lol!

Have had this happen a few times mostly due to cheap nasty bits, only use snap-on bits now. But it might be possible to dot punch the bit back round so it sits in the hex's properly, may come out easier then.

Or prahaps somehow try and cut a small 'slice' off the strut around the broken bit to try and expose it so mole grips can get hold of it. Kind of in a similar way to stripping wire if you see what im trying to say..

Alternativly as the bit is tool steel it will shatter eventually if hit hard enough with a good quality sharp punch in the centre.. but obviously this will also force it in harder untill/if it does shatter lol!

I expect most engineering firms would have a bash at it but not sure how they would do it.
Back to top Go down
MK1G60
Admin
MK1G60

PostSubject: Re: Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!!   Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! EmptyThu Feb 24 2011, 20:20

Thanks for the reply dude. I have it off the car so that's not a problem, nut probably wont spin off with air gun as that was the problem - tight as.

It is twisted in there so guna be pretty hard to budge, will try some heat on it tomorrow but if that doesn't work I need professional help before I bugger up the end of the strut...
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!!   Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! EmptyThu Feb 24 2011, 21:47

mole grips tight on the damper rod mate and airgun. It WILL come off. I have never ever used a tool in the end of the socket always gun the nut off and back on either with cordless impact gun or air gun
Back to top Go down
nelds

nelds

Male Number of posts : 1816
Drives : 2.5TDI T4 LWB
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!!   Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! EmptyThu Feb 24 2011, 22:33

what he said, Lupton used mole grips to remove my beetle front shocks the same way and the air gun shifted it
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!!   Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! EmptyFri Feb 25 2011, 09:06

Tiz wrote:
mole grips tight on the damper rod mate and airgun. It WILL come off. I have never ever used a tool in the end of the socket always gun the nut off and back on either with cordless impact gun or air gun

Always a winner Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! 680462
Back to top Go down
MK1G60
Admin
MK1G60

PostSubject: Re: Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!!   Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! EmptyFri Feb 25 2011, 18:07

Sorted cheers guys. Tried impact gun as suggested but no go to begin with, added some heat Twisted Evil and she flew off...

Phew! Fendubbers to the rescue Thumbs up cheers king
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!!   Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! EmptyFri Feb 25 2011, 18:23

I have seen this thread too late but just for others reference I'd like to add

that if you cant grip the strut then get an old cam belt and wrap it round a couple of times then grip it with F. OFF big pair of grips (mine are 16in long)
and then apply a little heat and get a GOOD impact gun and buzz it off.

If you ever have this kind of trouble again then message me and my impact gun WILL undo this sort of thing, Its actually strong anough to snap the strut when doing it up.

Heat works wonders and you dont need much of it either,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!!   Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Engineering Company to remove "bit" from strut!!!!
Page 1 of 1