fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine conversion advice.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cabrio19

cabrio19

Male Number of posts : 250
Drives : mk2 gti 8v
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Engine conversion advice. Empty
PostSubject: Engine conversion advice.   Engine conversion advice. EmptySun Jul 19 2009, 18:59

I have finally found a mk2 without rot!! It is a 1.6 carb engine which has been pulled out. I am going to put a 1.8 gti in it and need some advice. But before anyone says 'don't do a convertion that vw already made a car with,' I have got a pretty much complete 1.8 gti and another sitting there to rob the bits from.

The plan was to get a mk2 to play with but the first 2 aren't in the best condition and the 3rd one which is only a 1.6 driver is absolutely rock solid. I want to turn it in to some thing real nice but i'm concentrating on getting it up and running first and drive it until the winter when the real fun happens. The thing is the engine wasn't running properly in the first place so i thought i'd make it a gti. i want to have the wiring, fuel system and anything else it hasn't got ready for the winter.

I should be ready to put the engine and loom in in the next few days after mopping and polishing the paintwork first and was wondering if anyone has any tips before i start? The donor car is a pre-90 1.8 gti k-jet which was up and running until the day i got it. (the floor has rotted quite bad so that's why i'm not using this one!!)

I'm hoping to put a 2ltr engine in over the winter so if there is anything i should be putting in now then let me know!

Will post some pictures up soon.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down

Engine conversion advice.
Page 1 of 1