fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tyre advice

Go down 
+2
matty_mk1
martinb
6 posters
AuthorMessage
martinb
martinb

Male Number of posts : 1760
Drives : Corrado G60
Registration date : 2008-01-31

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 08:29

just a quick question - i need 2 new tyres for the Bora quite quickly as i've just noticed the fronts are shot on the inside edge, being 225/40/18's they are not cheap and because of my upcoming holiday and weekend at silverstone for the f1 i dont really wanna fork out £200 on tyres so i have been considering buying a couple of part worns from ebay just as a stop gap for the next couple of months.

I have seen some that are the right size, have ok tread (4mm) to get me by for a couple of months and dont look too expensive but the listing states they came from a 4wd car - does this matter when fitting them to a fwd car?

I will probably put the virtually new rear tyres on the bora on the front then the part worns on the back.

cheers
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 08:40

camskill, falken912s in that size for 64quid m8.

id never buy part worns, you wouldnt buy part worn brake pads would ya? and the tyres the only thing keeping you on the road so are kinda important lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
martinb
martinb

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 09:06

lol true...its not normally something i would consider!

the other option i have looked at is a cheap set of standard mk4 gti alloys or something as i've seen these for sale very cheap with tyres (although still technically part worn! Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Ashley

Ashley

Male Number of posts : 1165
Drives : Vento 1.9TDi
Registration date : 2008-07-12

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 09:48

I'd buy some wheels with tyres, then sell them once you're done..

are they 4x100?
Back to top Go down
martinb
martinb

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 10:18

5x100 mate, yeah might be a plan to just buy some cheapies - might even flog the A8's and put the cash towards something else as not that keen on them anyway.......
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 12:32

nothing wrong with part worn tyres... its a bit different to part worn brake pads, they normally havent been taken off because something is wrong with them. I got a 205/50/15 off ebay which was almost like brand new for £20 it had barely lost the new marks and still felt very new. I have given it some serious abuse and its still fine. If you bought a set of wheels with tyres on with plenty of tread would you replace them for no reason with brand new tyres?
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 12:36

Buyin tyres that are already on a wheel and up to pressure is abit different to just gettin a part worn through the post from ebay, you can see the it hold pressure for a start.
Back to top Go down
Tiz

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 12:37

matty_mk1 wrote:
Buyin tyres that are already on a wheel and up to pressure is abit different to just gettin a part worn through the post from ebay, you can see the it hold pressure for a start.

True but sometimes its worth a chance, there are a lot of reputable part worn sellers on ebay that offer returns and refunds etc and most of them tell you if they have had puncture repairs etc.
Back to top Go down
martinb
martinb

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 12:50

Tiz wrote:

True but sometimes its worth a chance, there are a lot of reputable part worn sellers on ebay that offer returns and refunds etc and most of them tell you if they have had puncture repairs etc.

that was my original thinking - they only need to be on there for about 6weeks until i have been on holiday etc then i would probably either buy 2 new tyres or change the wheels altogether........

scratch
Back to top Go down
Tiz

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 12:53

Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat
Registration date : 2008-01-19

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 14:58

i would rather not buy part worns myself, but i would if it was a stop gap. there are many times i have bought wheels for there tyres though. i see this as being slightly different as i know the car hasnt been in a big smash up. i just got jimmy midnights A4 alloys off him. i know the tyres are cool cos he used them and i know they havent been in a crash.

you get a part from somewhere and its probably been shipped over from germany after who knows what happened to the car that was wearing it
Back to top Go down
Tiz

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 15:39

MarkGTX wrote:
i would rather not buy part worns myself, but i would if it was a stop gap. there are many times i have bought wheels for there tyres though. i see this as being slightly different as i know the car hasnt been in a big smash up. i just got jimmy midnights A4 alloys off him. i know the tyres are cool cos he used them and i know they havent been in a crash.

you get a part from somewhere and its probably been shipped over from germany after who knows what happened to the car that was wearing it

as long as the tyres still good why would that matter though?

and that doesnt always work... everybody knows how bad that seat was that i crashed, wheels and tyres were perfect didnt even look like they had seen a car, cleaned up like new so how would you know if they hadn't been in a crash...

i find it a bit daft that people are saying dont buy part worns cause they could be knackered etc.... But you buy wheels... what if they are buckled? You wouldnt know till you got them on a balance machine.

Nothing wrong with part worns people have been doing it for YEARS... its not like they are remolds they are just tyres that have been on wheels then taken off... A lot of them time they are for when people go in for a complete set of tyres cause they just have 2 worn tyres etc.
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 15:47

Obviously you have a different opinion on it tom, which is fair enough, its all good, i was just voicing mine. i just think there ara parts you can get away with saving money on but there are certain vital parts that shouldnt be scrimped on.
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 15:58

ive heard of people buying part worn motorcycle tyres Shocked
Back to top Go down
Tiz

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 15:59

matty_mk1 wrote:
Obviously you have a different opinion on it tom, which is fair enough, its all good, i was just voicing mine. i just think there ara parts you can get away with saving money on but there are certain vital parts that shouldnt be scrimped on.

yeah i agree there are parts i would never scrimp on, i have heard of people reusing pads and discs from scrapped cars they have taken bigger calipers and stuff off though now thats dangerous :cyclops:
Back to top Go down
Ashley

Ashley

Male Number of posts : 1165
Drives : Vento 1.9TDi
Registration date : 2008-07-12

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice EmptyTue Jun 09 2009, 16:32

Im of the opinion that if you know they're evenly worn and definitely don't have any defects to them, what's the problem? It's up to the end user to put a value on the tyres and how many miles they want out of them

I, by the way, have 2 absolutlely mullered tyres I'm selling if you want them Laughing 205/45/16s with arch scrubbing. lovely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

tyre advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: tyre advice   tyre advice Empty

Back to top Go down

tyre advice
Page 1 of 1