fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rixy

Rixy

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-09-09

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! Empty
PostSubject: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptyWed Dec 03 2008, 19:02

How do peeps.....i some how managed to persuade my boss to sell the business combo, and buy me a mk1 caddy to rip about it, ha ha! So we went to mr rage's and bought this old beast.....

My boss couldnt believe it when we got there, i'd told him (lied) about how awesome it was gonna be lol, and when we got there, it wouldnt start, had no seats, no tailgate, a marhooooooosive puddle on the floor, amongst other things, lol.

However, we had it anyway, and after tow starting it, i drove it home to my mates workshop, and spent 6 hours that evening grinding and welding ready for an mot

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 25112008295
My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 25112008294
My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 25112008293

Anywayz......i ended up finding more holes than anticipated, as usual, but somehow it was still very very straight in all other areas, so worth it in the end. I also replaced a split cv boot, replaced the interior and carpets, gave her a good clean, fitted fog light, front indicators etc etc.

Somehow, last friday she passed the mot......with a 2 page advisory list, lol. Something to keep me going over winter i suppose, lol! Was told by mot man i had a water leak...so i checked it out sunday, and thought i'd cured it........until...

I drove it to work with no tax, ready to tax it durin the day monday. however.........on the way there, after about 3 miles, the water light started flashing....so i stiopped, and seen that the water flange on the front of the head is cracked. So i put some spare water in (as id taken some just incase, lol) and carried on....

But i ended up stopping 9 times on my way to work, to fill the water up as it was pissing out faster than i could put it back, lol. Even got some puddle water in there for good measure after i ran out of nice clean water, ha ha!!!!! Kinda funny driving along until i see a big puddle, then slamming on anchors and filling her up, he he.

Anyway, i eventually made it to work, and all was good. However, i phoned lee, to see if he had a flange, and he didnt, so i tried tiz....and he gave me Mark GTX's number.

I text mark...and i gotta say, what a cool guy.....saved my bacon...said i could go to his early tues morning, and remove the part from his caddy while he was at work...so i've slapped this on for now, until the new one arrives from VW.

Anyway, enough of the banter......here are a few more pics of her!!

Soon to be matt blacked 2 tone, hand painted sign writing, and matchin truckman lid (when i find one locally) Also, gonna service her, new leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm gonna be fitted, along with removing brakes and servicing them etc.

ha ha

what ya think?

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 01122008319
My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 01122008317
My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 01122008316

not bad, for free....and paid petrol, paid servicing, and paid insurance, lol!!! i love caddy's ha ha!!

Last edited by Rixy on Sun Jan 04 2009, 16:49; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rixy

Rixy

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptyWed Dec 03 2008, 19:03

and here's a quick pic of a olished section on the bonnet, can u tell which is which though??

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 27112008303
Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptyWed Dec 03 2008, 19:25

looking loads better than the sorry state it was in.

glad i could help, will have the engine out on friday if the weathers good.
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptyWed Dec 03 2008, 23:16

Reminds me of my old ratty we used ryan with those wella's on it lol.

Pleased its all going well for ya Very Happy

cant wait for some more progress pic's

Edit, you may have noticed i rolled the O/S/R arch so just the passenger side to do now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
Rixy

Rixy

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptyThu Dec 04 2008, 18:55

oh...that was you was it? we couldnt work out at davo's y one arch was rolled and the other werent, lol. yu practising again, ha ha!!!

the new part from vw turned up today, so can fit the proper water housing now, and get her all sensored up properly, lol!!!

gotta try and find a cheap aaz lump, and chuck it on now, lol. more economy and more power needed, lol.
Back to top Go down
Rixy

Rixy

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptyWed Dec 31 2008, 17:07

the caddy has now been transformed..........

How it used to be....3 days ago :-

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 29122008430

then removed :-

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 29122008431
My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 29122008432
My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 29122008433

Mk2 GTD lump fitted over the last 3 days, and drove it home 2night....all seems to be ok, apart from speedo not working, and a water light flashing constantly......

The conversion was fairly easy from petrol to diesel, but involved me cleaning / blowing the tank out, and the fuel lines etc. I also had to find and fit a mk1 caddy diesel engine loom etc.

The mk1 engine mount also needed modifying to fit the MK2 engine...

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 29122008435

I had the engine out and new one in in about 3 hours ish. I had to remove the flywheel assembly and clutch etc from the GTD engine and fit my spare ones from my old 1.8 gti 8v, as the TD one was too large to fit inside the bell housing on the GTi box.

Also, ended up making me some 100mm drive shafts as for some reason what i thought was an early mk1 gearbox turned out to be a 16v one or similar with 100mm inner cups.....so there's another problem in the works!!!Suspect

The petrol downpipe did not fit the GTD manifold, so the gtd one was modified to fit, and welded into shape etc.

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 30122008438
My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 30122008439

and then when i'd got it all back together, wouldnt turn over.....then realised that diesel starters are far larger than their petrol counterparts......so swapped these, and away she went.:alien: :alien:

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 31122008448

I then made me some brackets to hold the fuel filter, and air filter assembly in place, and put some nutserts in the inner wings to bolt them to.

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 31122008450

And here she is......all finished....well ...kinda...until i get to TIZ's and let him have a play ha ha!!Twisted Evil

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 31122008449

what ya think...........im so glad i've done it.....much nicer to drive, with 5 gears, and that feint turbo whistle :-)

can i just say a HUGE thanks to tiz for his help answering questions etc throughtout the last couple of days....ur a star!!!! i owe u a beer!!!afro
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptySat Jan 03 2009, 22:31

Well done mate afro

Gotta love TD daily's Wink
Back to top Go down
Rixy

Rixy

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptySun Jan 04 2009, 16:43

cheers mate.......got it running properly now........new glow plugs all round, and new injector leak down kit and rubber stops etc. Then fully bled up the pump and injectors, and she's purring at the first hint of cranking over, even on a frosty morning!!!

awesome!!!

oh...and got a bit bust this morning, slapping a few bits on her, giving her a bit of a make over?? what ya think?? bit better now than when i got her eh m8??

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 04012009480
My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 04012009481
My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 04012009482
My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! 04012009483

next up (2morra night) is rear bumper removal as they look shite......but i havent had time yet :-)

all comments welcome please...

(its not staying primer grey btw......its just so i can repair bits, then paint them, and it'll always look tidy...then when im finished smarting her up....a respray will happen!!!)
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptySun Jan 04 2009, 17:04

Haha that looks wicked now mate. see ya gone for the yellow lights like ya old caddy Cool
Back to top Go down
Rixy

Rixy

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptySun Jan 04 2009, 17:16

yup.........the spare set, ha ha!!!! i love yellow lights.........and they look so right on the grey...its ace!!!!! look out for me now caning about the ely / littleposrt / newmarket area....ya cant miss me now eh!!!afro
Back to top Go down
Rixy

Rixy

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptyWed Feb 25 2009, 12:20

all going well, she's going to a new home tomororw, a veryvery very very long way away :-( i'll miss her..but now toys r needed :-)

will let u kow if everything goes as planned 2mo.

woop woop
Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! EmptyWed Feb 25 2009, 17:18

what you getting then?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!   My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

My Mk1 Caddy GTD and Resprayed - UPDATED!!!
Page 1 of 1