fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tool chests and tool kits

Go down 
+3
matty_mk1
CaddyRage
Henry
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Henry

Henry

Male Number of posts : 218
Drives : Polo G40, Audi S4, Mk2 Golf GTI, Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Tool chests and tool kits Empty
PostSubject: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyWed Sep 28 2011, 09:19

I've just got a new job up in Cheshire and I'm going to need to get myself a new tool kit to go with it. I'm not going to be able to afford full blown snap on to begin with, but will be able to build it up over the next few months after some pay cheques.

I need something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teng-TCW807N-7-Drawer-8-Series-Roller-Cabinet-Toolbox-/180471877986?pt=UK_Garage_Equipment_Tools_Tool_Boxes_Storage&hash=item2a04f65162

I'll be moving the tools too and from a few different areas and it would be nice to have the option of buying a top box to go with it at a later date. Anyone have any experience with Teng tool chests? Which other companies should I try looking at?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyWed Sep 28 2011, 10:10

Teng tools are pretty good mate.

Maybe try britool, beta and mac tools. Good quality without the snap on price tag
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
Henry

Henry

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyWed Sep 28 2011, 10:21

Cool thanks mate, I had heard of those companies but for some reason could only remember Teng! It seems for a brand new bottom box the prices are all around the £350-450 mark which isn't too bad. Saying that, there are some second hand full kits going for bargain prices on the auctions... I think I could easily get carried away, it's good to have a genuine reason to splash out on good tools Laughing
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyWed Sep 28 2011, 10:31

ive got a full teng chest, seems really good.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyThu Sep 29 2011, 07:13

HA HA HA HA, good luck with the job. but accept nothing but the best.

Get on the bay and buy some second hand snap on stuff, if you choose wisely you can do well. all the stuff is covered by the lifetime guarantee (except power and air tools (12mths))

An extensive array of snap on can be bought them from the bay and from the dealer.
If money (in a lump) is the issue then snap on have an account that you can take with them where you pay a bit each week, theres no interest charged and you can have as much as you can aford its called a revolving account(RA), then as you pay some off you can get some more tools, BONZA !!

Every single one of you that have bought other tools have all used my gear have said theres no denying its good, but wouldnt pay for it, then leave their cheaper tools all over the place and can never find what they need, if you paid more then it makes you look after it especislly if you earn your living from them, accept nothing less.

Get a top box thats big enough first time, dont buy a smaller one and upgrade later, its false economy and a good waste of hard earned cash.

Ring snap on directly and ask for the number of the dealer nearest to where you are going to work and ask him to come and visit you at work, it'll take ten minutes out of your day.(01536 413800)

Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyThu Sep 29 2011, 09:45

I leave my tools everywhere cuz I'm lazy, my garage would be eactly the same if everythin was snap-on Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyThu Sep 29 2011, 10:12

I used to leave my tools all over the place when I had a small top box. Now I have a big snap on roll cab. My tools are always in the rightly place so now I can actually use my garage to put my golf in Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
VW Mike
VW Mike

Male Number of posts : 2138
Drives : LWB T5 and 69 bug - we will see who is fastest on the strip hey Mark ;)

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyThu Sep 29 2011, 10:34

posh fuckers...whats wrong with tools from poundland Thumbs up wave
Back to top Go down
http://www.mightymetamorphicracing.co.uk
Henry

Henry

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyThu Sep 29 2011, 11:29

I can understand what you're saying about snap-on, but the problem with buying a load of tools on finance is that the job is a 3 month contract to begin with and I'm already having to fork out for a new place to live etc and I don't want to put myself in a couple of grands worth of debt until it's a permanent thing.

this may dismay many of you but I've been offered this pair of cabinets for £250 pretty much unused:
https://2img.net/h/i183.photobucket.com/albums/x23/elitearmadillo/DSC01054.jpg

Spoken to many ex and current snap on owners that rate the quality as really quite good so I'm trying not to be put off by the name. And unless I get a bargain on ebay in the next couple of days, it's a tiny fraction of the price of brand new snap on. I'll be working on 3 different engine development test beds so essentially I just need a box on wheels, and they also come with a lifetime guarantee if they do happen to break. I keep a 150 piece halfords pro kit in the back of my car all the time and have used it for about 5 years with nothing breaking, so I'm willing to give it a go for that sort of money.

saying that though, we're still negotiating on the salary, so maybe I will be able to splash out sooner than I think lol!
Back to top Go down
Henry

Henry

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyThu Sep 29 2011, 11:33

Also by saving money on the cabinets, I can spend more on tools, which I think is a good way to prioritise Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
VW Mike
VW Mike

Drives : LWB T5 and 69 bug - we will see who is fastest on the strip hey Mark ;)

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyThu Sep 29 2011, 11:33

Henry wrote:
Also by saving money on the cabinets, I can spend more on tools, which I think is a good way to prioritise Thumbs up

Those cabinets are good dude
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyThu Sep 29 2011, 17:13

dont knock those halfords ones they really are good quality providing you go for a roller bearing one.
Back to top Go down
Henry

Henry

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyThu Sep 29 2011, 17:37

Lupton_20vt wrote:
dont knock those halfords ones they really are good quality providing you go for a roller bearing one.

just picked up the cabinets now mate, both halfords industrial ones with roller bearings etc, dead pleased with them, they feel really good quality and look great. And with the money I've saved I can splash out on some nice tools to go in them cheers
Back to top Go down
VW Mike
VW Mike

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyThu Sep 29 2011, 17:45

Good times dude Smile

And Lupton your signature is ace! I just rubbed my balls on your drum set
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyThu Sep 29 2011, 19:03

Youll be really happen with them mate.

Ha cheers Mike I love that film..... Hey Dale sprechen ze dick!
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyFri Sep 30 2011, 07:08

yup those drawers are fine, fill it with snap on, and matty you lazy sod.
Back to top Go down
james.

james.

Male Number of posts : 719
Drives : bmw 740
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits EmptyFri Sep 30 2011, 14:10

I started out as an apprentice a few years ago now and from the begining buying snap on and mac tools, it is very expensive but it is brilliant stuff! Just do as Guy said and pay £10-£20 a week or more if you can afford it. It doesnt really take that long to pay off if you buy sensibly. I just used to buy one set of things at a time like a set of spanners, pay them off, then a socket set, pay them off and so on. But i was allowed to use the other mechanics tools untill i was fully kitted out though. Now at 21 im all payed off, zero debt and have a full mac tools roll cab and top chest. Wont need to buy another spanner or socket for the rest of my life lol! as long as i dont lose any or they get stolen Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tool chests and tool kits   Tool chests and tool kits Empty

Back to top Go down

Tool chests and tool kits
Page 1 of 1