fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

overheating alternator belt snap? after checks

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Oz

Male Number of posts : 26
Drives : MK2 Golf 4+e
Registration date : 2010-03-14

overheating alternator belt snap? after checks Empty
PostSubject: overheating alternator belt snap? after checks   overheating alternator belt snap? after checks EmptySun Jun 12 2011, 01:45

hey

Got a mk2 golf 1988 1.6 4+e, So im driving home and the battery light flashes up and then all of a sudden the temperature gauge goes almost of the dial and i drive with it close to full temp for about 5 mins just to get home. So i let it all cool down then take a look under the bonnet and there is no alternator belt scratch Mad so it probably just snapped off anyone else ever had this problem?

So im gunna buy a new belt and fit it, but are there any checks i should do since the engine did overheat quite alot, for 5 mins? block warpage? any serious problems or will it be fine to drive?

Also does the belt break from general wear or from some other problem?

Please could you give your views Smile
cheers
Back to top Go down
tomstanforster

tomstanforster

Male Number of posts : 1385
Drives : Mk1 Karmann cabby,Mk1 caddy,B3 waggon,2011 caddy van
Registration date : 2009-10-19

PostSubject: Re: overheating alternator belt snap? after checks   overheating alternator belt snap? after checks EmptySun Jun 12 2011, 08:20

1 had a 1.6 derv caddy that threw off one a month,but we found that one of the pulleys was bent
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: overheating alternator belt snap? after checks   overheating alternator belt snap? after checks EmptyMon Jun 13 2011, 16:08

tomstanforster wrote:
I had a 1.6 derv caddy that threw off one a month, but we found that one of the pulleys was bent

Or was it three in one night Tom ? lol!

Check the water pump and the alternator turn freely BEFORE putting the new belt on as if either has siezed you wont spot it till it kills your new belt.

Back to top Go down
whittle

whittle

Male Number of posts : 1882
Drives : along the pavement
Registration date : 2009-09-11

PostSubject: Re: overheating alternator belt snap? after checks   overheating alternator belt snap? after checks EmptyMon Jun 13 2011, 17:34

Ozram thats mental!

if you want a hand ill cycle over x
Back to top Go down
Oz

Male Number of posts : 26
Drives : MK2 Golf 4+e
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: overheating alternator belt snap? after checks   overheating alternator belt snap? after checks EmptyMon Jun 13 2011, 21:03

Thanks for the tips Smile but i had to use 2 belts lol as the first wasn't on the pully properly and cut up! total waste of £3.90 !

All sorted now, my dad helped me fit a new belt and checked all systems over and it should be running fine now Smile but only concern is that it overheated so much possible engine or component damage? but i haven't seen any so should be okay? Also my dads fault as he totally forgot to replace the belt last year! excited
Back to top Go down
tomstanforster

tomstanforster

Male Number of posts : 1385
Drives : Mk1 Karmann cabby,Mk1 caddy,B3 waggon,2011 caddy van
Registration date : 2009-10-19

PostSubject: Re: overheating alternator belt snap? after checks   overheating alternator belt snap? after checks EmptyTue Jun 14 2011, 07:12

guy wrote:

tomstanforster wrote:
I had a 1.6 derv caddy that threw off one a month, but we found that one of the pulleys was bent

Or was it three in one night Tom ? lol!

lol ,not a good night
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: overheating alternator belt snap? after checks   overheating alternator belt snap? after checks EmptyTue Jun 14 2011, 16:29

Long too ! bash
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: overheating alternator belt snap? after checks   overheating alternator belt snap? after checks Empty

Back to top Go down

overheating alternator belt snap? after checks
Page 1 of 1