fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops Empty
PostSubject: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptyFri Feb 18 2011, 10:09

The fan on my laptop has started making some strange noises (i think the shaft bearings are worn, if these things have some?) used to be an intermittent problem now its constant. A good slap used to get it to shut up. Its doing my head in. I have no idea about this computer stuff.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptyFri Feb 18 2011, 10:09

Its an HP pavilion dv5 for reference.
Back to top Go down
whittle

whittle

Male Number of posts : 1882
Drives : along the pavement
Registration date : 2009-09-11

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptyFri Feb 18 2011, 17:03

hard disc platter.

probably worth backing it all up in case it fails, but i wouldnt be too worried it just happens
Back to top Go down
Dan34

Dan34

Male Number of posts : 1409
Drives : DC5
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptyFri Feb 18 2011, 17:22

Take the plastic cover off the back and see if you can get to it. If you can replace the fan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ec-dc.co.uk
Stampers

Stampers

Male Number of posts : 1553
Drives : BMW 32HATE
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptyFri Feb 18 2011, 17:38

It's most probably the spindle where the cooling fan is.
Usually solved by cracking open the fan cover, and popping a tiny bit of grease on the fan spindle.
Or the spacers holding the fan in the centre have worn and its slightly rubbing against the grille.

Not a big issue (you won't lose any data), but i've seen laptops overheat from fain failure.
Usually caused by incessant 'slapping'.
Bring it over tomorrow if you're free mate. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to sort.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ghettofresh.co.uk
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptyFri Feb 18 2011, 17:44

whittle wrote:
hard disc platter.

probably worth backing it all up in case it fails, but i wouldnt be too worried it just happens

Cheers breh.

Dan34 wrote:
Take the plastic cover off the back and see if you can get to it. If you can replace the fan.

Tried and tbh I dont have an earthing strap so i dont want to go pokin about in there.

Stampers wrote:
It's most probably the spindle where the cooling fan is.
Usually solved by cracking open the fan cover, and popping a tiny bit of grease on the fan spindle.
Or the spacers holding the fan in the centre have worn and its slightly rubbing against the grille.

Not a big issue (you won't lose any data), but i've seen laptops overheat from fain failure.
Usually caused by incessant 'slapping'.
Bring it over tomorrow if you're free mate. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to sort.

Sweet man, text me your postcode. When is best for you?
Back to top Go down
whittle

whittle

Male Number of posts : 1882
Drives : along the pavement
Registration date : 2009-09-11

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptyFri Feb 18 2011, 17:51

if you do deceide to get a new hard disc i can mirror the old one for you no probs x
Back to top Go down
Stampers

Stampers

Male Number of posts : 1553
Drives : BMW 32HATE
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptyFri Feb 18 2011, 18:16

Just an FYI Chris, I just did a little digging around and this would be the process to get it lubed up...

http://picasaweb.google.com/chrisdavis999/HPDV5000LaptopDismantle#

Quite laborious just to get to the fan.

Thing i'm thinking of is it might be advisable for you to buy a spare fan from eBay first.
Only as if lubricating it and cleaning out the innards doesn't sort the noise, we'll have to rip it open again and replace the fan.
The worst thing could be that the fan stops completely, and then you've got a dead machine (data will be fine, just no action).

Might make more sense to give it to me next friday (FD meet) and i'll pop a new fan in, clean it out and get it back to you on the saturday afternoon.
Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Stampers on Fri Feb 18 2011, 18:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ghettofresh.co.uk
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptyFri Feb 18 2011, 18:18

Yeah i didnt think it was easy to get apart. Okay mate yeah meet sounds good I'll be in touch.
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptyFri Feb 18 2011, 18:20

Seems mine is slightly different man, its an hp pavilion dv5-1110em
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptyFri Feb 18 2011, 21:00

Just spent two hours stripping and rebuilding it, regresed the fan spindle and cleaned some dust out. Seems like new dude. Let you know if it plays up again, thanks for the offer tho dude Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops EmptySat Feb 19 2011, 19:15

Yeah all seems fine now dude, better than it ever was tbh FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops 680462
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops   FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops Empty

Back to top Go down

FAO Stamps or anyone good with working on laptops
Page 1 of 1