fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Talk to me about vans..

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
james.

james.

Male Number of posts : 719
Drives : bmw 740
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Talk to me about vans.. Empty
PostSubject: Talk to me about vans..   Talk to me about vans.. EmptyFri Feb 11 2011, 22:27

I'm going to be looking to buy a van in the near future, it has to be a high top version as it will be a mobile workshop so would be nice to have the room to stand up properly ect and ideally long wheelbase, a medium wheelbase might be ok though.

I've got a few possibilitys of mercedes sprinter, iveco daily, LDV maxus and obviously a ford transit Laughing

I used to be a mechanic and i know from past experiences that merc sprinters do have alot of problems, had one that snapped the cranshaft Shocked but i think this is mainly the newer ones. The older style sprinters seemed to be more reliable.

Ford transits seem to be pretty reliable but im not really a fan of having to press the wheel bearing out everytime front brake disks need changing, but i guess its a small compromise if the van is going to be reliable.

Never really had much to do with iveco dailys or the LDV maxus.. I don't suppose anyone has experience of owning or heard things about them?

Or if anyone has any other suggestions based on the requirements of being a high top and long wheel base... I have approx how much my vr will be worth to spend lol!
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about vans..   Talk to me about vans.. EmptyFri Feb 11 2011, 22:52

go with the transit dude, tried and tested really.
Back to top Go down
whatalotafun

whatalotafun

Male Number of posts : 1656
Drives : fiesta zetec, eunos roadster, 1970 bug, honda vt 250
Registration date : 2009-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about vans..   Talk to me about vans.. EmptyFri Feb 11 2011, 23:12

Lupton_20vt wrote:

"job done"
lol
Back to top Go down
Pistacheuro

Pistacheuro

Male Number of posts : 1343
Drives : '95 6N.
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about vans..   Talk to me about vans.. EmptySat Feb 12 2011, 00:17

The old man's got a LWB Daily, absolutely huge. His is a mobile workshop too, he's got benches both sides and still plenty of room for chests, boxes etc.

His is the 2.8, which he had chipped, can't remember the horsepower figure, but torque is well over 400 lb fts. Still returns a decent MPG, depends what kind of mileage you cover though I suppose.

Probably no help whatsoever, but my two pence.
Back to top Go down
james.

james.

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about vans..   Talk to me about vans.. EmptySat Feb 12 2011, 18:01

Lupton_20vt wrote:

Yeah i suppose there is that arguement for a transit

Pistacheuro wrote:
The old man's got a LWB Daily, absolutely huge. His is a mobile workshop too, he's got benches both sides and still plenty of room for chests, boxes etc.

His is the 2.8, which he had chipped, can't remember the horsepower figure, but torque is well over 400 lb fts. Still returns a decent MPG, depends what kind of mileage you cover though I suppose.

Probably no help whatsoever, but my two pence.

Nah thats the kind of stuff i want to hear mate cheers. Think its between a transit and an iveco, whatever comes up nearest/cheapest Laughing
Back to top Go down
tomstanforster

tomstanforster

Male Number of posts : 1385
Drives : Mk1 Karmann cabby,Mk1 caddy,B3 waggon,2011 caddy van
Registration date : 2009-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about vans..   Talk to me about vans.. EmptySat Feb 12 2011, 18:08

ive had 3 brand new transits and they have alway broken with lecky faults one at the cost of £2500 as it was'nt coverd by warranty,ive had 2 vivaros and there a pile of crap and ive had a lwb vito and by far it wins,and if your looking for a larger van get a crafter same as the sprinter but cheaper and its a vw
Back to top Go down
james.

james.

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about vans..   Talk to me about vans.. EmptySun Feb 13 2011, 16:25

tomstanforster wrote:
ive had 3 brand new transits and they have alway broken with lecky faults one at the cost of £2500 as it was'nt coverd by warranty,ive had 2 vivaros and there a pile of crap and ive had a lwb vito and by far it wins,and if your looking for a larger van get a crafter same as the sprinter but cheaper and its a vw

What year transits were they mate? I've currently got my eye on a W reg year 2000 one

Have looked at the VW LT vans and they look alright, the crafters are way out of my price range for now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talk to me about vans..   Talk to me about vans.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Talk to me about vans..
Page 1 of 1