fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GTI Greg

Male Number of posts : 101
Drives : MK1 GTI (in the making) Berlingo work pony! (Electrician spec)
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! Empty
PostSubject: Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!   Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! EmptyTue Mar 16 2010, 23:45

My corrado has very dim lights. I know it is extremely common on most earlier vw's, i have seen that people make "uprated looms" to fix this and have heard they are very good, but at £55 a pop i don't fancy it, especially when they don't use o.e.m connections (i've had enough of pissing spade connectors to last me a life time!) is there any other o.e.m looms that i can use to combat this problem? I don't fancy having a million different wires in my bay i'm trying to clean it.

Thanks

Greg
Back to top Go down
nelds

nelds

Male Number of posts : 1816
Drives : 2.5TDI T4 LWB
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!   Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! EmptyWed Mar 17 2010, 09:39

i got my loom from ebay for £40, its only a 2 relay setup tho so both headlights run from one relay so its a singe point of failure. I found a scrapper rado and chopped the OEM connectors to use. I haven't got round to fitting it yet as i've stuck 50% brighter Halfords bulbs in for now which has been an improvement. I know G60 Nick is a loom on his.
Back to top Go down
cdem

Male Number of posts : 66
Drives : VW Corrado
Registration date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!   Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! EmptyWed Mar 17 2010, 09:51

Ive got a spare loom in the garage if you want one Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! 651561 I think all the upgraded looms are spade connectors though. The only other way will be the brighter bulbs and to clean the reflectors Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! 460227
Back to top Go down
http://www.eurocar-club.co.uk
GTI Greg

PostSubject: Re: Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!   Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! EmptyWed Mar 17 2010, 13:57

Didn't think changing the bulbs alone made much difference? What about HID's although i heard you might have to change the reflector to fit these? Your spare loom you wanna sell it? I'm sure i can butcher it to my liking.

Edit just found out hid's are illegal with standard reflectors on a corrado, was just thinking do mk3 golfs suffer with this problem if not i'll use a loom out of that. For now i'll try brighter bulbs and see how that goes, if they're still dim surgery will commence.

Thanks
Greg
Back to top Go down
GTI Greg

PostSubject: Re: Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!   Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! EmptyWed Mar 17 2010, 15:49

Found some looms on the bay that use oem connectors, they only use ring crimps for the battery connection, only £35.00. Downside is they are only 2 relay ones and i really want a 3 relay one.

Thanks
Greg
Back to top Go down
nelds

nelds

Male Number of posts : 1816
Drives : 2.5TDI T4 LWB
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!   Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! EmptyWed Mar 17 2010, 15:58

mines a 2 relay also, the reason i wanted OEM connectors is if the fuse or relay fails i'll lose both headlights at once and want to be able to swap back to old loom to get me home......lol.....
Back to top Go down
cdem

Male Number of posts : 66
Drives : VW Corrado
Registration date : 2009-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!   Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 13:59

GTI Greg wrote:
Didn't think changing the bulbs alone made much difference? What about HID's although i heard you might have to change the reflector to fit these? Your spare loom you wanna sell it? I'm sure i can butcher it to my liking.

Edit just found out hid's are illegal with standard reflectors on a corrado, was just thinking do mk3 golfs suffer with this problem if not i'll use a loom out of that. For now i'll try brighter bulbs and see how that goes, if they're still dim surgery will commence.

Thanks
Greg

If you want i can send some photos to you of the loom mate??
Back to top Go down
http://www.eurocar-club.co.uk
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!   Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! EmptyThu Mar 18 2010, 14:49

make the loom yourself i made one for about a fiver, think the guide is on matey matey, its not the loom its self that is the problem its the fact it takes such a long route to get to the lights whereas the new loom uses the original supply to switch a relay which has power straight from the battery. Adding brighter lights wont make any difference to already dim lights if it cant supply the wattage for standard lights it sure cant supply higher demand and you are likely to melt your loom
Back to top Go down
GTI Greg

PostSubject: Re: Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!   Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! EmptyFri Mar 19 2010, 17:49

Bought a loom now, i know i could make one cheaper but time is off the essence on this project and i couldn't be arsed. But i'll make one for the mk1 i think. The corrado is just a daily smasher.Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! 460227
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!   Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Fighting the fade, very dim lights help!!
Page 1 of 1