fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

car not starting but got power

Go down 
+2
billybug
brynt
6 posters
AuthorMessage
brynt

brynt

Male Number of posts : 211
Drives : lupo gti
Registration date : 2008-05-13

car not starting but got power Empty
PostSubject: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 22:07

my car isnt starting but i have power and it is making a clicking noise which seems to be coming from the air flow meter any help in trying to help me solve the problem and i was only driving the car half an hour to 45 minutes before this happened and it was running fine

cheers ben
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 22:14

starter motor!, try tapping it with a hammer usually works for me
Back to top Go down
brynt

brynt

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 22:15

cheers fella ill give that ago also i got a toad alarm on it if that help or mates it worse lol
Back to top Go down
brynt

brynt

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 23:05

tried hitting it and had no luck any ideas on what else or could it just be a loose earth??
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 23:22

Is the battery still strong?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
billybug

billybug

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 23:24

hmm it may have completely packed up then, to me sounds like theres a problem with starter, try holding a screw driver on teh starter and get some one to turn the key and short it out, that worked on a mates civic.
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 23:43

Yeah my first thoughts was starter but then i thought maybe the alternator has stopped charging the battery and now thats lost its balls to spin the engine over
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
billybug

billybug

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptyThu Nov 05 2009, 23:52

CaddyRage wrote:
Yeah my first thoughts was starter but then i thought maybe the alternator has stopped charging the battery and now thats lost its balls to spin the engine over

but wouldnt the battery light come on? mine did when my alternator wasnt charging properly and when it packed up, but you could be right i would have thought the light would come on though
Back to top Go down
whatalotafun

whatalotafun

Male Number of posts : 1656
Drives : fiesta zetec, eunos roadster, 1970 bug, honda vt 250
Registration date : 2009-06-26

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptyFri Nov 06 2009, 00:00

sounds like the ignition barrel to me. Try turning the ingnition on fully, then get a big cable and connect the spade that is nearest the top of the starter, to the possative on the battery. Hopefully it should turn over. You will need to unplug the fat wire off the starter.
Back to top Go down
nelds

nelds

Male Number of posts : 1816
Drives : 2.5TDI T4 LWB
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptyFri Nov 06 2009, 06:53

when hitting the starter motor dont you need someone else turning the car over..???......i know the wifes cabby is a 2 person job but it works after 2 or 3 sharp blows from a 2x2 lump of wood and a hammer car not starting but got power 51732
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptyFri Nov 06 2009, 21:28

nelds wrote:
when hitting the starter motor dont you need someone else turning the car over..???......i know the wifes cabby is a 2 person job but it works after 2 or 3 sharp blows from a 2x2 lump of wood and a hammer car not starting but got power 51732

yea forgot to say have someone to turn the key when tapping it, worked straight away on a friends civic
Back to top Go down
cabrio19

cabrio19

Male Number of posts : 250
Drives : mk2 gti 8v
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power EmptySat Nov 07 2009, 00:19

put the car in 2nd gear then rock it backwards and forwards. if its the starter motor it will un-jam. you should then be able to start it with the key.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: car not starting but got power   car not starting but got power Empty

Back to top Go down

car not starting but got power
Page 1 of 1