fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

anyone got any magical spanners

Go down 
+8
james.
baker
grumpy
lazzaman
Cupra20
MarkGTX
kill_switch
vr6dub
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
vr6dub

vr6dub

Male Number of posts : 153
Drives : mk2 golf
Registration date : 2008-02-05

anyone got any magical spanners Empty
PostSubject: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptyThu Mar 05 2009, 22:15

anyone got any magical spanners that will get into the most awkward of places to get my manifold off got 3 nuts i cant get anything on?
Back to top Go down
kill_switch

kill_switch

Male Number of posts : 532
Drives : mk2 1.6 driver 3 door
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptyFri Mar 06 2009, 15:51

try puttin a few ujs on the rachet and the do it or there is a flexable extension you can buy for not a lot
Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptyFri Mar 06 2009, 16:46

or get the grinder out Twisted Evil maybe the answer is lifting the engine up slightly?
Back to top Go down
Cupra20

Cupra20

Male Number of posts : 553
Drives : Ibiza Cupra
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptyFri Mar 06 2009, 18:11

Why not bend/weld up some normal spanners to suit what you want?
Back to top Go down
lazzaman

lazzaman

Male Number of posts : 118
Drives : golf gti turbo ,89 velle,66 bug
Registration date : 2008-03-27

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptyFri Mar 06 2009, 18:47

Back to top Go down
grumpy

grumpy

Male Number of posts : 9
Drives : mk2 gti 8v
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptyFri Mar 06 2009, 21:41

the bolts on the bottom are easy to get to from underneath. i never use special spanners. having skinny hands helps
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 14:47

cheers for all the advice chaps, got one nut left to do. good old trusty screwdriver and hammer did the trick nicely on a couple off them. which i couldn't get a socket on because of the studs hitting the manifold:roll:
as it isn't a vag one (running garrett turbo) just tried a crows foot on the last one but even that is to big to get it on:x
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 14:54

Cupra20 wrote:
Why not bend/weld up some normal spanners to suit what you want?

like this Wink

anyone got any magical spanners DSC00088
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 14:56

anyone got any magical spanners DSC00095

anyone got any magical spanners DSC00093

anyone got any magical spanners DSC00092

anyone got any magical spanners DSC00091-1
Back to top Go down
baker

Male Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 15:06

co*k lover have tried to push it round with a dot punch and hammer ??? but use that at the last option as that will screw the nut !!! but anyway shed will be round to save the day cheers
Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 15:07

i see your point there! but the biggest question is....how did they do them up?
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 15:28

baker wrote:
co*k lover have tried to push it round with a dot punch and hammer ??? but use that at the last option as that will screw the nut !!! but anyway shed will be round to save the day cheers

nob jockey, he sure is:)
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 15:29

MarkGTX wrote:
i see your point there! but the biggest question is....how did they do them up?

exactly what i thought, i know when it was built it was all bolted on the engine before it went in
Back to top Go down
james.

james.

Male Number of posts : 719
Drives : bmw 740
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 16:25

good idea on the spanner dude. Might just be me but i'd be a bit carefull having your full address on show on an envolope in one of the pics..
Back to top Go down
Cupra20

Cupra20

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySat Mar 07 2009, 18:14

Exactly what i mean mate top quality engineering at it's best, is that a 1.8t 20v your working on?

Could you drop the front engine mount and tip the engine forward so to speak so access is better?
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySun Mar 08 2009, 09:19

james. wrote:
good idea on the spanner dude. Might just be me but i'd be a bit carefull having your full address on show on an envolope in one of the pics..

yea might have to remove that pic, don't live there anymore now tho. it only worked on one nut
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySun Mar 08 2009, 09:25

Cupra20 wrote:
Exactly what i mean mate top quality engineering at it's best, is that a 1.8t 20v your working on?

Could you drop the front engine mount and tip the engine forward so to speak so access is better?

sure is mate, I'm hoping if i can get hold of a shallow socket and use the usj i might just get it. i still might have to take the rear engine mount off and jack the engine up to get one of the nuts of the downpipe:roll:
I just hope after all this it is the oil seals in the turbo that is gone.
Back to top Go down
Cupra20

Cupra20

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySun Mar 08 2009, 13:53

You may want to look on seatcupra.net and vw vortex about how to get them undone, i know of loads of people that struggle with them but cant remember how they do it. Can you not just unbolt the turbo from the manifold rather than take the manifold off aswell?
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySun Mar 08 2009, 16:20

no it all has to come off to get to the nuts unfortunately.
will take a look at them forums
Back to top Go down
Cupra20

Cupra20

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptyMon Mar 09 2009, 18:03

What a bind, i hope you've got a spare pair of knuckles cos i think your going to need them when your finished!lol!
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptyFri Mar 13 2009, 18:58

little update, got the last nut of earlier in the week after buying a new socket to fit.
finished work at 3 today so got home a bit earlier, after picking up some axle stands up from a friend. so went about removing the rear engine mount to gain access to the nut on the down pipe. once that was off i undone all the pipes to the turbo and tried to slide it out.

anyone got any magical spanners DSC00103

anyone got any magical spanners DSC00102

it didn't want to come any further than this so i lowered the engine down put the mount back on which gave me a bit more room but not quite enough Mad
so decided to unbolt the turbo where it was, when on the second nut turned the turbo the slightest bit to get a better angle on the nut with the spanner and it slid out cheers

anyone got any magical spanners DSC00105

anyone got any magical spanners DSC00104

anyone got any magical spanners DSC00107

anyone got any magical spanners DSC00108
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptyFri Mar 13 2009, 19:14

oh and does anyone know any good places to get it rebuilt?
Back to top Go down
Cupra20

Cupra20

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySat Mar 14 2009, 16:24

Well done mate, is that gt2860rs you've got there?

You could try owen developments, turbo dynamics, turbo technics, backdraft motosport, jabbasport.

i'd try any of the first 3 myself and then try the others as i think they send them away to be done anyway but they be worth a call and see.
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySat Mar 14 2009, 17:16

cheers don't think i would want to do it again tho. its a hybrid gt38rs. will give them a ring come Monday and find some prices out.
Back to top Go down
Cupra20

Cupra20

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners EmptySun Mar 15 2009, 13:32

You've got to mate to get it back together again!!

if your running a garret i'd give owens a ring as there a garret dealer and know there stuff or you could try who ever did the hybrid treatment to it cos anything that might need replacing could be a one off so to speak
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: anyone got any magical spanners   anyone got any magical spanners Empty

Back to top Go down

anyone got any magical spanners
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next