fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?

Go down 
+3
caddyman
MK1G60
DanE30
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DanE30

DanE30

Number of posts : 76
Drives : E30 320is
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? Empty
PostSubject: Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?   Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? EmptyWed Mar 09 2011, 16:25

Hi guys,

I've had E30's for the past ten years and with my 320is staying firmly as a garage/show vehicle I'd like a Rado as a evening/weekend car.
I'm after some advice as to what to look for when viewing one of these. Fuel econmomy isn't an issue so I'm leaning towards a VR although other engines will be considered if the rest of the car is very good. Fire away with your pointers guys.
I've been scouring pistonheads, ebay, car & classic etc and have seen some very nice Rado's but I'm not going to view any without a bit of knowledge behind me.

Thanks in advance guys.

Back to top Go down
MK1G60
Admin
MK1G60

Male Number of posts : 1015
Drives : MK1 ABF Bike Carbd, MK1 G60/20vt Project, MK1 Caddy 1.6D
Registration date : 2009-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?   Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? EmptyWed Mar 09 2011, 16:40

http://the-corrado.net/forum.php

I had a Corrado VR6 for just over 1 year and still one of the best cars Ive ever owned so I say go for it BUT mine only had just over 50k on it and was mint - never had a problem. Remember you are buying an old motor now and if you go VR then chains/rebuild around the 100k mark....
Back to top Go down
caddyman

caddyman

Number of posts : 1127
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?   Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? EmptyWed Mar 09 2011, 17:19

check sunroof tilts and slides
ele3ctric mirrors work
rear spioler gos up at 50mph and down at standstill
and works off the button on under side of dash right side check bottoms of front wings as thay go there
electric windows are quite slow going up just need a good grease
if its a late corrado make sure the heater fan works on all speeds as the switches are a lot of money 50+ for a second hand one
make sure headlamp refectors arnt showing signs of going yellow its the coating coming off
pull headlamp switch out to makesure wires arnt burnt common problem if its got a inline fuse in one of the wires its ok as its a mod to stop the dash fires
Shocked
think thats most of the probs hahah
me mates got a mint m plate vr6 hes selling its on piston heads at the minute red one think plate ends in ccv its a stanard car not even touched Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
DanE30

DanE30

Number of posts : 76
Drives : E30 320is
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?   Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? EmptyWed Mar 09 2011, 17:38

Thanks for the info' guys, duly noted and I'll take it with me.

I have seen the red VR6 based in Cambridge on pistonheads, more than I want to spend unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Fenboyd

Fenboyd

Male Number of posts : 74
Drives : The Top Gear Corrado (VR6)
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?   Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? EmptyWed Mar 09 2011, 20:27

In response to caddyman's spoiler speed, they vary when they 'pop'. Both my former 2.0 16v and my current vr rose/raise at 58 mph and once I go under 15 it lowers. I did hear many years ago that in some rados they didnt rise until you hit 70, but I cant varify that in print or by an actual car.
Join the corrado forum if you already haven't - http://the-corrado.net/forum.php
When searching for my vr I looked on here first. I chose mine cos it had been looked after, no expense spared and came with a giant box containing a folder full of reciepts for work done, dating back to its first owner, along with various sprinter mags and other corrado club stuff. When I went and saw the car it was in mint condition and continually garaged. The seller was a sound guy who, because of our love for the car,became a good friend of mine. I think as much history and recipts as poss helps to choosing a 18-14 yr old car!
Back to top Go down
nelds

nelds

Male Number of posts : 1816
Drives : 2.5TDI T4 LWB
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?   Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? EmptyWed Mar 09 2011, 20:40

my spoiler raised up at 35 MPH Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
whittle

whittle

Male Number of posts : 1882
Drives : along the pavement
Registration date : 2009-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?   Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? EmptyWed Mar 09 2011, 21:14

Fenboyd wrote:
In response to caddyman's spoiler speed, they vary when they 'pop'. Both my former 2.0 16v and my current vr rose/raise at 58 mph and once I go under 15 it lowers. I did hear many years ago that in some rados they didnt rise until you hit 70, but I cant varify that in print or by an actual car.

thats what mine does too ;-)
Back to top Go down
Fenboyd

Fenboyd

PostSubject: Re: Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?   Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? EmptyThu Mar 10 2011, 17:33

nelds wrote:
my spoiler raised up at 35 MPH Thumbs up

Shocked blimey, but that just goes to show they vary Laughing

Also, here are some after thoughts :
*when you go for a test drive put both the heated seats on to see if they work,
*check the rear wiper works,
*check the headlights for bullet-holes from stones.
*its common for the front bumper indicators and fogs to retain condensation, become opaque and or crack / tend to be cracked. Ive found the indicators not too much of a prob to replace via ebay but the fogs are hard to get,most seem to be from early model rados.In pvw Aug 05 their project rado was fitted with new OEM fogs and indicators from Euro Car Parts. Don't know if you can still get these through them as the majority of parts are now obsolete. I used ebay so replacements were somewhat cheaper although second hand, but still good as new.
*Some vr's have a oil temp and tach meter ( tells you how charged the batt is ) below the ash tray, mine didn't.
Back to top Go down
mk1g60phill

mk1g60phill

Male Number of posts : 2918
Drives : Seat leon fr 20vt & a t4 land barge hippy van.
Registration date : 2008-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?   Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? EmptyThu Mar 10 2011, 18:27

Dont buy one that ritchard hammond has driven either Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
http://deborah.ball703@ntlworld.com
Fenboyd

Fenboyd

PostSubject: Re: Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?   Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? EmptyFri Mar 11 2011, 16:12

Yeah cos you'll get texts from your mates saying " I just seen your car on Dave ", and everytime a mag prints how much top gear loves the rado or when someone talks about that episode you'll know that it's your car they are talking about. How uncool and annoying would that be! Rolling Eyes Very Happy lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?   Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying? Empty

Back to top Go down

Corrado pitfalls & issues, what to look for when buying?
Page 1 of 1