fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

abf in corrado fuelling issues

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GTI Greg

Male Number of posts : 101
Drives : MK1 GTI (in the making) Berlingo work pony! (Electrician spec)
Registration date : 2009-07-06

abf in corrado fuelling issues Empty
PostSubject: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptySun Mar 14 2010, 20:53

Evening all.

Bought a mongrel rado about a month ago was originally a 1.8 16v kr, however some time in its past the engine has been swapped to a 2.0l abf (or so i was told). I'm pretty damn sure it is a abf its definatley got a mk3 2.0l 16v gearbox, its a peach of an engine its been rebuilt with a metal hg, its got piper cams, and pulleys, but the only thing is its running on the original 1.8 k-jet fuelling. Aswell as being sinfully ugly I think i'd gain more from the engine if it was running full abf fuelling.
So my question to you lovely v.a.g loving people is what will i need to convert to abf fuelling and is this easy enough?? Any pics, links, hints and tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Greg
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptySun Mar 14 2010, 22:38

I'd just like to ask why change it ?

As it's on kjet leave it alone, the motronic that is on the mk3 is generally cack and I've seen abf's on kjet running near as damn it 200 brake .

Why fix whats not broken ?

Find someone who knows how to set the kjet up properly and use some porsche 924 injectors and you're in the right ball park.
Make sure you are running enough pressure on the fuel line and you'll have a cracking little combination.
Its less hassle than fitting all the injectors and swapping the injector seats over with all the inlet at the same time plus all the associated ecu possible problems (keys immobilisers relays fuse boards wiring transponders)
The mk3 inlet is a little like a switch and the mk2 throttle body is a lot more progressive than the on/off motronic one.

I think you are already on the money mate just get it properly set up.
Back to top Go down
GTI Greg

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptySun Mar 14 2010, 23:28

I was under the impression k-jet was pretty cack, and you couldn't do alot with it? Thats what AmD told me anyway? My cams and pulleys are quite recent and are yet to be setup ( pulleys currently set on zero) i think there's gains to be had there. TBH i've only just started to really research it, you probably know more than me. I just hate the look of the metering head and all the fuel lines. Was the thinking of carbing it but didn't want to loose its daily reliability? Do you know of anywhere that can set everything up for me or any links to do it myself?

Thanks
Greg
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 09:02

theres a place in boston, lincolnshire that can set up kjet. they have a dyno.

kjet gives a more agressive feel to the 16v engine than the mk3 digifant
Back to top Go down
GTI Greg

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 09:54

Bridgedubber do you know the name of this place in boston by chance? Seems that i may be better off keeping the k-jet.

Thanks
Greg
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 11:27

GTI Greg wrote:
I was under the impression k-jet was pretty cack, and you couldn't do alot with it? Thats what AmD told me anyway? My cams and pulleys are quite recent and are yet to be setup ( pulleys currently set on zero) i think there's gains to be had there. TBH i've only just started to really research it, you probably know more than me. I just hate the look of the metering head and all the fuel lines. Was the thinking of carbing it but didn't want to loose its daily reliability? Do you know of anywhere that can set everything up for me or any links to do it myself?

Thanks
Greg

AmD will have told you that as its a remap that they will want to sell you.
Kjet is an old system now but there is no reason to discount it, it works well, still produces good power.
Newer ecu controlled injection systems are in place to be more fuel effiicent and better for the enviroment, pah phooey use your kjet and live a little, it'll use a little more fuel but save you a lot of headache.
K-jet can be set up to tune individual cylinders accordingly, its alot better than people give it credit for.

Go get it on the rollers and get it done fella, you'll be glad you did.
Back to top Go down
GTI Greg

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 12:12

Thanks for your advice Guy i've done abit of research into it now i'm going to keep the k-jet and get it setup at mv developments next week.

Got another tiny technical question that i want to put to you. The wiring that goes to the thermo switch thing that screws into the rad on a 1.8 16v rado ( I imagine its the same on 1.8 16v golfs) Should there be only 2 wires going to that (thick red ones)? The previous owner chopped the plug off and used spades instead but these fall off, or short across and turn the fan on permantly. I traced the wiring back and there is a third wire (pink i think) in a connector, wondered if that did anything? Also does that thermo-switch thing provide the water temp reading? If not where does it get the reading from, mine's never worked.

Thanks
Greg
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 17:45

The temp sender is on the front of the block for the gauge and the ecu.

As for the two large wires that have been chopped.....and I'm sure someone will jump in here and correct me but believe that there should be three wires that go to the thermocouple in the rad.
Back to top Go down
GTI Greg

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptyMon Mar 15 2010, 21:40

Had a good play with it today, and the temp gauge is now working for how long i don't know but at least i know where the sender is. Also took the speed sensor out of the gearbox as i don't think thats working its either that or the speedo itself, but the top off the sender was cracked and didn't look right imo. I'm getting there slowly. Don't suppose anyone knows where i can get hold of 1.8 16v and a 2.0l abf wiring diagram? I'vegota few wires without a home if there redundant i'll clean them. Also going to attempt to clean up the bay with some loom surgery.
Back to top Go down
GTI Greg

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptyTue Mar 16 2010, 13:36

I've found a good thread about this conversion on edition i'll post the link so that other peeps can see it, has helped me loads. Still have one or 2 tiny questions i have done a diagram below that should help.

abf in corrado fuelling issues ABFENGINEDiagram

I appreciate the lettering is a tad on the micro size so i'll translate:
" My car has a short elephant trunk like pipe here, where should this pipe go? I assume its a breather for something as when the car is running condensation comes out of it"

"Which of these three is the water temp sender for the ecu and the instrumentation"

This is the link to the edition thread:
http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97434

Thanks
Greg
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptyTue Mar 16 2010, 13:57

the pipe goes to your intake pipe
Back to top Go down
GTI Greg

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptyTue Mar 16 2010, 18:07

As i expected bridgedubber going to get a new pipe that actually reach the intake, as currently mine is just hanging with a breather filter on it.

Thanks
Greg
Back to top Go down
martinb
martinb

Male Number of posts : 1760
Drives : Corrado G60
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues EmptyTue Mar 16 2010, 23:16

when we put an abf in my old Rado it ran bang on with the old k-jet system. Went really well too...huge improvement! abf in corrado fuelling issues 680462
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: abf in corrado fuelling issues   abf in corrado fuelling issues Empty

Back to top Go down

abf in corrado fuelling issues
Page 1 of 1