fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Removing asister spring on coilovers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Removing asister spring on coilovers Empty
PostSubject: Removing asister spring on coilovers   Removing asister spring on coilovers EmptySun May 30 2010, 20:50

When removing the asister spring on coilovers, do the main spring clatter abit due to them not being under tension?

Is it wise for me to do such things when i drive pretty quick?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Removing asister spring on coilovers   Removing asister spring on coilovers EmptySun May 30 2010, 21:00

why do you need them out lee? it depends how low you go without them in, obviously the lower the adjuster ring the looser theyll be. but with the weight of the car on them they will be fine. just dont go gettin air off a bridge at the worp speed you drive Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
thekman

thekman

Male Number of posts : 141
Drives : Polo 6N 1.6 GLX
Registration date : 2009-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Removing asister spring on coilovers   Removing asister spring on coilovers EmptySun May 30 2010, 21:14

i had them out and it they didnt rattle around or anything,but the ride was more bouncy all of the time as apposed to quick hard bumps with them in. If you do take them out i would cut the bump stops in half, i didnt do this the first time and it was just sitting on them all the time
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

PostSubject: Re: Removing asister spring on coilovers   Removing asister spring on coilovers EmptySun May 30 2010, 21:14

matty_mk1 wrote:
why do you need them out lee? it depends how low you go without them in, obviously the lower the adjuster ring the looser theyll be. but with the weight of the car on them they will be fine. just dont go gettin air off a bridge at the worp speed you drive Razz

I've noticed that the tyres on my daily rims(et37 on a 6.5j) have been rubbing slightly on the adjuster rings mate.
Tyres are regular 195/45's.

Did think about cambering the front ready for when i do the rears too

The backroad to work has its fair share of bumps but no bridges Removing asister spring on coilovers Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

PostSubject: Re: Removing asister spring on coilovers   Removing asister spring on coilovers EmptySun May 30 2010, 21:21

thekman wrote:
i had them out and it they didnt rattle around or anything,but the ride was more bouncy all of the time as apposed to quick hard bumps with them in. If you do take them out i would cut the bump stops in half, i didnt do this the first time and it was just sitting on them all the time

Hmmm Removing asister spring on coilovers Icon_scratch , maybe leave them in and run a spacer with longer bolts for the dailys then.

I been messing with 1 side already so what i'll do, is get 1 of my rear 7.5j wide turbos set up right on the other side then see what the gap between the wheel and coilover is.
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

PostSubject: Re: Removing asister spring on coilovers   Removing asister spring on coilovers EmptySun May 30 2010, 21:26

ah yeah thought it may be for cleanace issues more than lows. id assume the thekman tokk his out but lef teh adjuster ring where it was therefore lowering the car more?

Were as that wouldnt solve you problem and give you the problems he mentioned. if you remove you helper and rasie the adjuster to where the helper started, it should have minimul effects on handling. afterall the helper does nothing but keep the spring tight when its jacked up.

Wouldnt have thought youd be goin for camber allrounds m8, will lose fair bit of the handling, bit on the fronts good but rears does nothing but bad Razz
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

PostSubject: Re: Removing asister spring on coilovers   Removing asister spring on coilovers EmptySun May 30 2010, 21:38

matty_mk1 wrote:
ah yeah thought it may be for cleanace issues more than lows. id assume the thekman tokk his out but lef teh adjuster ring where it was therefore lowering the car more?

Were as that wouldnt solve you problem and give you the problems he mentioned. if you remove you helper and rasie the adjuster to where the helper started, it should have minimul effects on handling. afterall the helper does nothing but keep the spring tight when its jacked up.

Wouldnt have thought youd be goin for camber allrounds m8, will lose fair bit of the handling, bit on the fronts good but rears does nothing but bad Razz

Yeah, i removed 1 side(drivers) already but to get the same height as before, the main spring is loose when jacked up. Now obviously the weight of the car will keep it tight but if i take a hump in the road like those along the straight near the mepal outdoor activity place at 70+, i got a fealing the springs will be floating lol.

Need to sort the exhaust clamps before some more lows Removing asister spring on coilovers 651561

Fed up of busting duckbills and only way to make a cl spoiler work on a gti is to go lower Removing asister spring on coilovers Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
thekman

thekman

PostSubject: Re: Removing asister spring on coilovers   Removing asister spring on coilovers EmptySun May 30 2010, 21:39

yeah mine were out to get it lower

i may be wrong here but i think even if u do raise the adjusters up it will still be more bouncy as the assistors take the weight of the car because there far less stiff and then the main spring has its full height to absorb bumps?? Removing asister spring on coilovers Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

PostSubject: Re: Removing asister spring on coilovers   Removing asister spring on coilovers EmptySun May 30 2010, 21:48

thekman wrote:
yeah mine were out to get it lower

i may be wrong here but i think even if u do raise the adjusters up it will still be more bouncy as the assistors take the weight of the car because there far less stiff and then the main spring has its full height to absorb bumps?? Removing asister spring on coilovers Icon_scratch

Na with the full weight of the car, the helpers are fully compressed so pretty much solid anyway and over bumps the weight wont come off enough for the help to be un compressed.

the reason yours is more bouncy after takign them out is its lower so less travel and as you said your on the bump stops.
Back to top Go down
thekman

thekman

PostSubject: Re: Removing asister spring on coilovers   Removing asister spring on coilovers EmptySun May 30 2010, 21:58

i stand corrected Removing asister spring on coilovers Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing asister spring on coilovers   Removing asister spring on coilovers Empty

Back to top Go down

Removing asister spring on coilovers
Page 1 of 1