fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

where to look for a cheap camper

Go down 
+5
dan 72
dub-diva
ratlook_ping
Shaun
vr6dub
9 posters
AuthorMessage
vr6dub

vr6dub

Male Number of posts : 153
Drives : mk2 golf
Registration date : 2008-02-05

where to look for a cheap camper Empty
PostSubject: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptySun May 18 2008, 12:46

im after a cheap camper just to use for bug jam and to go do to cornwall in don't care what it looks like but it has to be super cheap.
does anyone know of any good sites or vw camper forums i could try?

Thanks lee
Back to top Go down
Shaun

Shaun

Male Number of posts : 114
Drives : 1969 Bug
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptySun May 18 2008, 13:02

theres always a good selection on ebay, or www.volksworld.com

although if your budget is too cheap you wont get very far down to cornwall!

just have a hunt around for some reliable bargins!

how much u got in mind?
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptySun May 18 2008, 13:25

Shaun6n2 wrote:
theres always a good selection on ebay, or www.volksworld.com

although if your budget is too cheap you wont get very far down to cornwall!

just have a hunt around for some reliable bargins!

how much u got in mind?

im looking at around £800 tops, been keeping a look out on the bay and will have a look on volksworld.
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptySun May 18 2008, 13:38

Back to top Go down
ratlook_ping

ratlook_ping

Male Number of posts : 585
Drives : Mk1 golf
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptySun May 18 2008, 21:42

they dont exist anymore im afraid :( busses, bugs, KGs ad all that are now silly money. cheapest ones ive heard of are mostly rotten.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ping_i
dub-diva

Female Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptyMon May 19 2008, 09:48

To be totally honest, you have to be really careful when you buy a cheap camper - they are often listed as a project and don't have an mot - you will find they are being sold because of the amount of money that it will take to get it on the road.

You may be lucky and find one that's cheap but take someone with you that will know where to look for rust/rot or ask for a few pointers from someone that knows about campers before you go.

The cheapest ones that are roadworthy at the moment seem start at about £2,500 (and they still need welding, etc. to keep them on the road) and as ratlook says, the ones that are cheaper are usually rotten.

Good Luck with your search.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/dub-diva
dan 72

dan 72

Male Number of posts : 60
Drives : vw bug and 1976 panel van
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptyMon May 19 2008, 09:50

i just sold a bay for 500 it was rotten in a big way
Back to top Go down
Elves29

Elves29

Female Number of posts : 15
Drives : Corrado
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptyMon May 19 2008, 11:03

dan 72 wrote:
i just sold a bay for 500 it was rotten in a big way

But he is with a nice man who is going to make him all better!! scratch
Back to top Go down
dan 72

dan 72

Male Number of posts : 60
Drives : vw bug and 1976 panel van
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptyTue May 20 2008, 09:33

this is ture
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptyTue May 20 2008, 18:45

well just got back from looking at a T25 on a F plate with twin sliding doors interior needs tydying up 1900cc 4 speed, towbar (could come in handy) with a cd player, took it over to a friend who is an mot tester and got it up on a ramp and she is solid underneath, there is a bit of rust and a small hole in the step up just inside the door. should be an easy repair! needs a new back box and lots of bobywork doing, dents in most pannels and surface rust around the wheelarches. brakes need a new washer on the master cylinder? mot till sept
drives really well:D

what whould you lot say is a good price for somthing like that?
Back to top Go down
Old B'stard

Old B'stard

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptyWed May 21 2008, 08:34

I think a t25 would be your best option on a cheapy camper. Plenty being broken up for cheap spares and they do drive nicer than a bay. You are not painting a fantastic picture of this one Cry but it sounds like it would do the job and you will always get your money back. Should be easily in your budget to make it a good buy as i take it its not a pukka campervan but a blank canvas ??
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptyWed May 21 2008, 16:51

well i have left a deposit with the chap today and should pick it up in a couple of weeks time as he is off down under shortly after that. i have already started sorcing a few parts for her. need to get on some t25 camper fourms and find out what wheels will fit, would like to fit the black 928's of my golf but not sure about adapters as i think the centre bore is bigger on the t25? but like you said Old B'stard starting with a blank canvas so can make it my own.
i will try and get a couple of pics up i took on my phone
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptyFri May 23 2008, 16:30

Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
Old B'stard

Old B'stard

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptyFri May 23 2008, 19:48

Thats complete crap affraid but congrats on the T25. I had a twin slider which was great but was a bit of a head scratcher when it came to laying out the interior unless you chose not to use one of the doors Cry
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptyFri May 23 2008, 21:58

cheers dude, yea i did think that:scratch: think im going to keep it quite simple inside all im really bothered about is the bed in the back working.
just need to sort out what wheels im going to fit now and find a new silencer or sweet custom one and lower it.
Back to top Go down
RM2WAS

Male Number of posts : 256
Drives : occasionally
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptyMon Jun 02 2008, 09:15

from that discription I'm fairly certain you're about to buy my old t25. I thought about buying it back when I heard he was selling it again. It's not much to look at, but the only real downside of the thing was that it is only a 4sp, you hit the rev limiter at 85! and if you cruise above about 60 it starts to drink fuel:shock:
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptySun Jun 08 2008, 13:05

RM2WAS wrote:
from that discription I'm fairly certain you're about to buy my old t25. I thought about buying it back when I heard he was selling it again. It's not much to look at, but the only real downside of the thing was that it is only a 4sp, you hit the rev limiter at 85! and if you cruise above about 60 it starts to drink fuel:shock:

if your the chap with the R32 mk2 golf then i think it is! if so jack said you still have all the paperwork for it? gave it a good clean today and its still dirty:affraid: altho jack didn't clean it in the time he owned it:roll: like you said not much to look at but drives real good and as for it beening 4sp im going to try and source a 5sp box for it. as i want to go to devon in it and it would take a week to get down there doing 60. any way will post some pics up in project cars
Back to top Go down
RM2WAS

Male Number of posts : 256
Drives : occasionally
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper EmptySun Jun 08 2008, 17:30

I did have an R32 mk2! just scrapped it last week:(

Paperwork? I don't think I really got anything with it tbh, obviously the V5 but other than that I think I just got the at the time current mot. Good luck with it, it's been through a bit but always got me home Very Happy I even had to race it a few times when Whilst my race car was being built, just to keep up points for the season, ran a 21.3 at pod from what I remember:lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: where to look for a cheap camper   where to look for a cheap camper Empty

Back to top Go down

where to look for a cheap camper
Page 1 of 1