fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)

Go down 
+4
Stampers
james.
Cupra20
Lupton_20vt
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) Empty
PostSubject: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptySun Jan 03 2010, 14:15

just been for a quick drive sorted the abs issue now this had appeared on the dashboard. what does it stand for?
Back to top Go down
Cupra20

Cupra20

Male Number of posts : 553
Drives : Ibiza Cupra
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptySun Jan 03 2010, 14:37

this is a wind up right??

if not what about the handbrake light perhapsRed Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) 651561
Back to top Go down
james.

james.

Male Number of posts : 719
Drives : bmw 740
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptySun Jan 03 2010, 15:19

Yeah sounds like hand brake switch maybe sticking or low brake fluid level sometimes puts them on
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptySun Jan 03 2010, 15:45

Cupra20 wrote:
this is a wind up right??

if not what about the handbrake light perhapsRed Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) 651561

lol nah mate not the handbrake one the comes up in the right dial cluster this is in the center of the two dials.
Back to top Go down
Cupra20

Cupra20

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptySun Jan 03 2010, 16:20

ah right, could be low brake fluid like james said, have you got brake pad wear sensors as it could be those
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptySun Jan 03 2010, 16:38

checked all of that level is fine all new pads last month anyway. the hansbrake isnt sticking as the car rolls freely. Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
Cupra20

Cupra20

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptySun Jan 03 2010, 16:53

um tis a bit queer, would have said it was something to do with the brakes myself, might be worth checking the cables haven't got anywhere or it could be something to do with the abs just cos the lights gone out don't mean the faults gone, faulty sensor or just diry on it
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyMon Jan 04 2010, 09:42

the abs light is still on anyway Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) Icon_rolleyes bump to guy or tiz.
Back to top Go down
Stampers

Stampers

Male Number of posts : 1553
Drives : BMW 32HATE
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyMon Jan 04 2010, 10:15

Is it on the instrument display (top half of the middle block) or the red matrix display (where it displays 'luggage compartment open' etc)?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ghettofresh.co.uk
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyMon Jan 04 2010, 10:21

yea thats the one.
Back to top Go down
Stampers

Stampers

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyMon Jan 04 2010, 11:06

Lupton_20vt wrote:
yea thats the one.

Yeah, but which half you spanner.
Top or bottom half?
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyMon Jan 04 2010, 11:13

well mine is all one thing because its an early mk4. more towards the bottom though.
Back to top Go down
Stampers

Stampers

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyMon Jan 04 2010, 11:54

Try having a look here...

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66495

Cant personally see it being the MAF sensor (that'll cut your cars power down intermittently and only lights up the Engine management light), but it could be an oil pressure problem.

In that thread people mention it being a faulty brake sensor and someone else mentioning they have the lights too and that VAGCOM pointed out it was a faulty wheel speed sensor.

Hmmm, odd one this. I'll have a little look around for you, but its most likely a faulty brake sensor imo. Makes more snese that it would be.

Having said that, Mk4's pop up warning lights like an xmas tree so could be anything really....
Back to top Go down
mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab

Male Number of posts : 1566
Drives : 05' Fabia VRS, 00' TL1000R
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyMon Jan 04 2010, 17:49

Stampers wrote:

Cant personally see it being the MAF sensor (that'll cut your cars power down intermittently and only lights up the Engine management light), but it could be an oil pressure problem.

In that thread people mention it being a faulty brake sensor and someone else mentioning they have the lights too and that VAGCOM pointed out it was a faulty wheel speed sensor.

Hmmm, odd one this. I'll have a little look around for you, but its most likely a faulty brake sensor imo. Makes more snese that it would be.

Having said that, Mk4's pop up warning lights like an xmas tree so could be anything really....

you mean your mk4 pops up warning lights like a xmas tree!
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyTue Jan 05 2010, 09:22

Stampers wrote:

thanks stamps Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) 51732 did send you a pic yesterday of it. think i will just get it plugged in with th other poop lights sorted lol
Back to top Go down
Stampers

Stampers

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyTue Jan 05 2010, 09:42

mk3golfcab wrote:

you mean your mk4 pops up warning lights like a xmas tree!
Shut your pie-hole.
Just cos they forgot to put warning lights into Skoda's...
I think mine lights up as a way of showing it loves me. Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) Icon_silent

Lupton_20vt wrote:

thanks stamps Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) 51732 did send you a pic yesterday of it. think i will just get it plugged in with th other poop lights sorted lol
Yeah, I got the pic mate.
All I could make out was your yellow ABS light on the left, the weird exclamation in the middle, and your ECL light on the right.

To be honest, its either wheel speed sensor (could be, as you know one thing affects another with Mk4's...) or faulty brake sensor.
I'm betting on the faulty brake sensor.
I reckon its that, as the ABS light is on, whilst showing you an exclamation (usually means, dont drive the car as something has crapped itself up). Whack a diagnostic tool in it, but dont reset the codes. Just read up what error codes you get, and if one pops up with a faulty brake sensor, then replace it.

They can be found fairly cheaply and fitted yourself, and it'll keep it from lighting back up and freaking you out. Also, it wont cost so much to fix when its due for your MOT and the bloody light pops up again Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) 51732
Cos we both know, its sod's law, and those lights like to come on at the worst times!
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyTue Jan 05 2010, 09:45

yh tell me about other things going wrong Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) Icon_lol im leaning towards the brake sensor too now. its fine when the car is still at startup takes about five seconds to come on so it must be rotation related. Im popping up to see guy soon for parts anyway so ill get him to plug it in.
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyTue Jan 05 2010, 09:46

take the bulb out and ignore it Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) Icon_geek

like most mk4s it will be something to do with the sh1t abs system
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyTue Jan 05 2010, 16:51

If you take the light bulb out it'll definately poop itself and never let you fix it.
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyTue Jan 05 2010, 16:59

it was a joke... Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) 11737
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyTue Jan 05 2010, 17:06

wtf

So was mine, who'd have guessed.
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyTue Jan 05 2010, 17:42

Chris, why did'nt you just say it was the damn abs light in the first place ya muppet Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) Icon_rolleyes . The first page is chat about what the fecking light is lol.

Are all your wheels fitted with the same series tyres?

If yes then its defo more than likely going to be a sensor on 1 of the wheels and has probs got sh1t up due to you no doubt driving in the sludge caused by the snow. They just need cleaning but putting on vag.com should point out which 1.

The same system applies accross the board including Seat's and Skoda's
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) EmptyWed Jan 06 2010, 08:29

CaddyRage wrote:
Chris, why did'nt you just say it was the damn abs light in the first place ya muppet Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) Icon_rolleyes . The first page is chat about what the fecking light is lol.

Are all your wheels fitted with the same series tyres?

If yes then its defo more than likely going to be a sensor on 1 of the wheels and has probs got sh1t up due to you no doubt driving in the sludge caused by the snow. They just need cleaning but putting on vag.com should point out which 1.

The same system applies accross the board including Seat's and Skoda's

tea looks like it must be the sensor then the red light came up in the snow once or twice but just quickly so i thought nothing of it. Silly question but would it have anything to to with me adjusting the handbrake?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)   Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz) Empty

Back to top Go down

Red Exclamation mark dashboard on my golf (Guy/Tiz)
Page 1 of 1