fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

vr6 into a mk2 golf

Go down 
+3
Tiz
matty_mk1
brynt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
brynt

brynt

Male Number of posts : 211
Drives : lupo gti
Registration date : 2008-05-13

vr6 into a mk2 golf Empty
PostSubject: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptyWed Nov 18 2009, 19:28

how easy is it to put a vr6 lump into a mk2 golf and roughly how much am i lookin at, also which is the better one the 16 or 24v one ?
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptyWed Nov 18 2009, 19:40

Vr6 are 12v, later 4mo and r32s are 24v
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptyWed Nov 18 2009, 21:48

was gonna say your struggle to find a 16v vr6
Back to top Go down
brynt

brynt

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptyWed Nov 18 2009, 23:57

o ok as far as i knew they were 16 or 24 lol so is it fairly straight forward in putting one into a mk2 ?
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptyThu Nov 19 2009, 12:13

if you have a decent mechanical knowledge its fairly easy to do yeah, i reckon i could do one fully/properly in a week now.
Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptyThu Nov 19 2009, 12:46

well you did fit one in a week dint you tiz. bit rough around the edges so with a bit more haste and less speed deffo possible
Back to top Go down
jim-uk16

jim-uk16

Male Number of posts : 599
Drives : 83 MK1, Octavia Workhorse and general chum's carrier pigeon
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptyThu Nov 19 2009, 16:20

i have researched this at depth as almost did mine a few weeks ago, still getting it done just done by someone else.

above are both right a bit of savvy will help.

From what i can remember the main points are:

its easier if your car is 90 spec as the wiring loom will be straight plug in and play, the one with hazard light on steering column not the dash.

mk3 subframe, with mk2 wishbones, 8v gti driveshafts and G60 brakes lets you stay with a 4 stud wheel pattern.

the driver side chasis leg needs a dent to help clear the big balancer wheel on the VR engine.

use the vr radiator/cooling system.

at least 15" inch wheels as uprated brakes might be nice.

decent suspension set-up as it weighs a bit and get a solid front mount as ive been informed the engine bumps the bonnet eitherwise.

Im sure ive missed some points and im sure the above will have more hints, these are some of the points i found were useful to me when sorting all mine out.

now i'd better get it donevr6 into a mk2 golf 51732
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptyThu Nov 19 2009, 17:57

Youll want to convert ya clutch to hydraulic too Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
brynt

brynt

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptyFri Nov 20 2009, 18:39

jim-uk16 wrote:
i have researched this at depth as almost did mine a few weeks ago, still getting it done just done by someone else.

above are both right a bit of savvy will help.

From what i can remember the main points are:

its easier if your car is 90 spec as the wiring loom will be straight plug in and play, the one with hazard light on steering column not the dash.

mk3 subframe, with mk2 wishbones, 8v gti driveshafts and G60 brakes lets you stay with a 4 stud wheel pattern.

the driver side chasis leg needs a dent to help clear the big balancer wheel on the VR engine.

use the vr radiator/cooling system.

at least 15" inch wheels as uprated brakes might be nice.

decent suspension set-up as it weighs a bit and get a solid front mount as ive been informed the engine bumps the bonnet eitherwise.

Im sure ive missed some points and im sure the above will have more hints, these are some of the points i found were useful to me when sorting all mine out.

now i'd better get it donevr6 into a mk2 golf 51732

cheers well as it happens i got a 91 spec car Smile which is good and with runnign G60 brakes which means i getta keep my 4 stud is also a bonus and with the mounts id be gettin uprated one any way as when it gets done it might as well be done properly rather than just half arsed done init
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptyFri Nov 20 2009, 19:26

If you get the complete front end from a mk3 then the whole lot goes straight over, the rack the suspension everything goes.

If you have an obd1 then its plug and play but with obd2 you have to have the immobiliser loom and associated plugs/loom, this goes behind the dash and is also plug and play but you need the key(chip) the immobiliser pick up ring the immobiliser box and loom plus ECU all associated together or its off to have them linked with each other (read pain in the arse)

I've done the lot in a day and fired it the following morning.
The only issue we had was the exhaust but as we had a complete miltek and cat bypass this wasn't really an issue we just had to wait for it to turn up.

http://forum.performancevwmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=35644&highlight=vr6+conversion

Heres one I did on a mk3 but the work is the same all bar fitting a clutch master cylinder and pedal box and drilling a hole for it in the firewall... you have to beat it a little flat first to get it to fit properly. do this before fitting the engine as room is tight !!

If you need any help or advice then just ring I'm more than willing to help out.

Back to top Go down
guy
guy

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptyFri Nov 20 2009, 19:28

Oh I meant to say I'll be doing this conversion for myself in the not too distant future but I'm taking everything from the mk3 including the dash and all the interior loom, AC, ABS, wider rear beam so the whole shooting match.

Phil, LiamBs mate is breaking a vr so can help with all the bits I'm sure.

I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
brynt

brynt

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptySat Nov 21 2009, 08:02

yer rthat has helped alot no i know which engine to go for and now i know it is literlly old engine out new one in just over a few days i gotta wait a few months till funds are up but it will be done soon
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptySat Nov 21 2009, 09:26

Heres an offer for you .....

come and get your hands dirty when I do mine in the new year and I'll help you do yours.

Its all teritory I've been over before.
I would always go obd2 as they make moe power out of the box than the obd1 does. Its the mapping its much better.You just have to et over the imobiliser issue.
Back to top Go down
hasekna

hasekna

Male Number of posts : 254
Drives : a lot
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptySat Nov 21 2009, 15:28

You'll want an adapter for the front engine mount as well, or a corrado vr6 bottom crossmember. You can get the mount adapters from ebay, £30 or summit like that.
Back to top Go down
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptySat Nov 21 2009, 16:13

i put a standard mk2 gti mount on mine and everything never had any problems... was i really lucky or something?
Back to top Go down
brynt

brynt

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf EmptySun Nov 22 2009, 00:30

guy wrote:
Heres an offer for you .....

come and get your hands dirty when I do mine in the new year and I'll help you do yours.

Its all teritory I've been over before.
I would always go obd2 as they make moe power out of the box than the obd1 does. Its the mapping its much better.You just have to et over the imobiliser issue.

yer that sounds cool just give me a shout on here n ill be more than happy to help out in what ever way i can
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: vr6 into a mk2 golf   vr6 into a mk2 golf Empty

Back to top Go down

vr6 into a mk2 golf
Page 1 of 1