fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mk4 central locking

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
josh-wah

josh-wah

Male Number of posts : 49
Drives : mk2 golf (white)
Registration date : 2011-08-16

mk4 central locking Empty
PostSubject: mk4 central locking   mk4 central locking EmptyThu Aug 25 2011, 00:53

central locking in my mk4 golf 2.0l has gone. altho will still lock/unlock boot and sometimes drivers door, all others have to be done from inside except rear passengers side (that wnt open for anything!)

any ideas as aparently this is common but cant find any diy instructions?
its a 2002 on a '51 plate if that helps.
Back to top Go down
james.

james.

Male Number of posts : 719
Drives : bmw 740
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: mk4 central locking   mk4 central locking EmptyThu Aug 25 2011, 09:51

By central locking do you mean using the remote to unlock/lock, or turning the key in the lock?

Past experiences have taught me that alot of mk4 components are made from cheese so best thing to do is probably strip down the drivers door to begin with and remove the lock just to have a look at it and see if any parts are worn, broken ect. If you cant find anything mechanicly wrong then prahaps check the wires that run through that short piece of rubber hose stuff at the hinge end of the door. The wires sometimes break up there because of the thousands of open/close movements.

Hard to diagnose lock problems without having the locks off to inspect them really.

The door cards are quite straight forward to remove, theres a couple of hiden bolts inside the grab handle so you have to prise the front off that to get at them. Other than that its pretty simple. The actual lock can sometimes be a pain to remove though as you have the window mechanism in there aswell. When i last did locks on a mk4 a few months ago i took out the whole window regulator and window aswell.
Back to top Go down
josh-wah

josh-wah

PostSubject: Re: mk4 central locking   mk4 central locking EmptyFri Aug 26 2011, 03:10

stripped down today but could not find any faults. cheers for the help, ill check wires soon.
door card was a pain as window fell down due to pulley breaking a few weeks ago. not a good month for my car (or bank balance)
its a problem with both key and remote so guessing its something to do with electrics (god i wish i had an older car....so much more simple)
cheers anyway for quick answer Smile
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: mk4 central locking   mk4 central locking EmptySun Aug 28 2011, 14:56

The normal thing for these is the switch in the lock, they are made of very crumbley cheese and basically dont tell the module whats going on so the system shits itself.

It can be stripped down and replaced (youtube it) but its a real bind and much more time effective to just buy a new door handle fitting.

Back to top Go down
josh-wah

josh-wah

PostSubject: Re: mk4 central locking   mk4 central locking EmptyMon Aug 29 2011, 16:25

cheers mate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mk4 central locking   mk4 central locking Empty

Back to top Go down

mk4 central locking
Page 1 of 1