fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mk3 brake upgrade

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vdubraver

vdubraver

Male Number of posts : 91
Drives : mk3 golf
Registration date : 2010-11-24

mk3 brake upgrade Empty
PostSubject: mk3 brake upgrade   mk3 brake upgrade EmptyTue Mar 01 2011, 23:36

looking at upgradeing my brakes but want to keep the 4x100 whats the best and eaiest setup that would work ? thanks
Back to top Go down
whittle

whittle

Male Number of posts : 1882
Drives : along the pavement
Registration date : 2009-09-11

mk3 brake upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: mk3 brake upgrade   mk3 brake upgrade EmptyWed Mar 02 2011, 09:56

g60s ftw

probably get the whole setup for around £150
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

mk3 brake upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: mk3 brake upgrade   mk3 brake upgrade EmptyWed Mar 02 2011, 21:42

There isn't an instant fit this now go away solution to this question, so heres my answer....

If you have 256mm set up on your mk3 you should have seperate caliper carriers fitted which means you can just find some calipers and carriers from an early gti or vr6 allowing you to fit 280mm g60 4x100 discs and pads.

Pop a wheel off and check out the hub to see if the caliper bolts straight to it or if there is a carrier between them.

No carrier = Pain in the arse

If there is no carrier then you will have to use early Gti/VR6 hubs/carriers/calipers but then press out the 5x100 flanges and press in your 4x100 flanges. Its easy enough to do but you will shag the bearings pressing out the flanges which adds more money to the build.

So worst case scenario is..

Mk 3 GTi hubs (about) £60 -£100
New bearings (about) £40 for a pair
New 280mm discs (about) £65 for a pair
New pads (about) £35 a set
Then labour to press the bearings and flanges in and out (I'd charge you £30 for this)
Be aware that it's normal to discover that your bottom ball joints are probably worn at this point (£35) and its worth changing them anyway.

Then if you cant do any of this yourself the labour to fit it all for you.

If you are unsure, please ask as I'm moe than willing to do this sort of job for you.(mail or pm)

On the upside you will absolutley love your new brakes and to really get the best out of them fit braided lines and new fluid, after an initial bedding in period (500 miles) you'll be scrapping your grinning face off the screen when you plant your foot on the middle pedal.

I hope this clears it up a little as I think 'fit g60 ones ftw' is a little vague (sorry Whittle) seeing as they are key items of safety.

I've done this very conversion on more than 20 cars and I have this very set up on a mk2 8v in the drive plus currently run 312's on my vr6.

Back to top Go down
guy
guy

mk3 brake upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: mk3 brake upgrade   mk3 brake upgrade EmptyWed Mar 02 2011, 21:50

Oh and if you want to really do the job properly then buy some Black Diamond Grooved discs (£150 ish) and ferrodo 3466 pads (£65) and you will be hard pressed to get better brakes for the money, short of chucking a bloody great anchor out the back. of course.
Back to top Go down
vdubraver

vdubraver

Male Number of posts : 91
Drives : mk3 golf
Registration date : 2010-11-24

mk3 brake upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: mk3 brake upgrade   mk3 brake upgrade EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 18:11

cheers whittle made me laugh and guy thanks for all the options wasnt expecting that reeli helped with massive insight to possibilities !! well just want something abit more safe on my daily as its only a 1.4 and the discs and pads are crap for the size of the car ill jack the car up tomorrow at work and hava look but will more then likely take you up on the offer! hopefully have a chat about it next meet
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

mk3 brake upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: mk3 brake upgrade   mk3 brake upgrade EmptyFri Mar 04 2011, 19:48

Another option is is you have 239mm discs then you could upgrade to 256 from something like a cabriolet by just changing the hubs etc over.
There must be lots of crashed cabbys around , like the one in my back garden with all the appropriate parts ready for you to just swap them over leaving it open for you to upgrade to 280's at a later date money/parts allowing.

The cabbriolet isnt mine but the parts are still for sale should you require them and I can sort this out for you.

pm me if needed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mk3 brake upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: mk3 brake upgrade   mk3 brake upgrade Empty

Back to top Go down

mk3 brake upgrade
Page 1 of 1