fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

t4 transporter qestions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bravo211

bravo211

Number of posts : 1168
Drives : mk3 golf
Registration date : 2009-04-06

t4 transporter qestions Empty
PostSubject: t4 transporter qestions   t4 transporter qestions EmptyTue Dec 07 2010, 11:59

whats the good and bad things about T4 transporters and what things do u look out for when buying one
Back to top Go down
djdougalno1

djdougalno1

Male Number of posts : 376
Drives : T4 tdi, a3 Quattro turbo and Yamaha r6
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: t4 transporter qestions   t4 transporter qestions EmptyTue Dec 07 2010, 18:29

No bad all good along as you get a 2.5 tdi

t4 transporter qestions DSC01292
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: t4 transporter qestions   t4 transporter qestions EmptyTue Dec 07 2010, 19:29

The t4 is a stormer in 2.5 guise, higher mileage ones have issues with leaking boost pipes and the egr clogging up everything related to it.
They nearly all have a noisey idler rattle, easily cured but they can be dear, a good bargaining point.

My opinionis to always get a long wheel base you will really appreciate the extra room. worth the money.
Higher mileage ones knock out drop links, driveshafts and top ball joints all things to inspect carefully as they can be expensive to replace.

Back to top Go down
Tobz

Tobz

Male Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: t4 transporter qestions   t4 transporter qestions EmptyWed Dec 08 2010, 09:59

Definately get the 2.5 but nobody has mentioned that you should also ensure it's the 102bhp variant as it's a completely different beast to the 88bhp.

"They nearly all have a noisey idler rattle, easily cured but they can be dear, a good bargaining point."

Guy could you explain this a bit further???
Mine makes a fairly prominent irregular tap at idle which completely dies out by 2k revs, does it sound like it's suffering from the sound you mention???
What is it making the noise?
How is it cured?
Is there any risk in simply ignoring it?
(Mine has done 230k by the way)
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: t4 transporter qestions   t4 transporter qestions EmptyThu Dec 09 2010, 09:52

If I remember correctly its the vacuum pump idler pulley, they wear out and on tick over they clang or tick loudly, I seem to remember theyre about £60 and a straight swap over.

Leaving it to carry on wont hurt your bus but best get it done as it causes it to stretch the belt and you dont want it snapping.

And I forgot to mention its the 102 not the 88 special that you must buy.
Back to top Go down
Tobz

Tobz

Male Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: t4 transporter qestions   t4 transporter qestions EmptyThu Dec 09 2010, 10:13

Cheers for the reply Guy, I had been meaning to look into this for a while so yesterday I got on the case and came up with exactly the same answer.
It's the vacuum pump as you say. The test is to quickly pump the brakes while the engine is idling and the noise should cease briefly. I did that when I got home last night and hey presto the racket stopped for a while. The pump is actually driven via a pushrod from the camshaft and it's this rod which wears down after all those miles. The fix is to replace the rod which costs about £25 apparently. I guess there would be absolutely no ill effect of leaving it other than the constant annoyance whilst sitting at traffic lights listening to the racket.

Cheers for prompting me into taking action I've been meaning to trace it since march!!!
Back to top Go down
GOLF_STU

GOLF_STU

Male Number of posts : 20
Drives : mk4 golf yeah baby
Registration date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: t4 transporter qestions   t4 transporter qestions EmptyThu Dec 09 2010, 22:45

my 1.9td is ok it does what i want it too Very Happy although there is a 20vt lump sittin in the garage doing nothing excited
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: t4 transporter qestions   t4 transporter qestions Empty

Back to top Go down

t4 transporter qestions
Page 1 of 1