fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
evets

evets

Male Number of posts : 118
Drives : mk4 golf 20v T
Registration date : 2008-05-09

alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. Empty
PostSubject: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 19:48

hi there, im looking at getting some sexy alloy for me golf mk4.. need halp as it the first time i've got allies this size!! they are 18"s 8.5J 5 stud 112... please tell me what i have to do and how much i need to spend roughly to get them on!! i'm looking at dropping her 25/30mm... no more than that!! any help asap would be greatttttttttt!!! cheers..Cool
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 19:53

You'll need 5x100 to 5x112 adaptors for a start,

do you know wot ET (offset) the wheels are cuz the adaptors will lower it by at least 20mm
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
brynt

brynt

Male Number of posts : 211
Drives : lupo gti
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 19:57

i got 18's on my mk4 golf and they fill the arches well but lowering it you gotta be careful as i'm thinkin about lowering mine and everyone i asked for advice have said you gotta go for a full kit which is springs and dampers not just a sprig kit as the springs can go up to 10mm lower than what they state which if you go dampers as well it helps handling as they suit the springs better as well
Back to top Go down
evets

evets

PostSubject: et   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 19:58

matty_mk1 wrote:

do you know wot ET (offset) the wheels are cuz the adaptors will lower it by at least 20mm
Back to top Go down
evets

evets

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 20:02

evets wrote:
matty_mk1 wrote:

ok blue but i've spoken to a few people and thy said go for coil overs?? but was unsure if they would be too hard'a ride... what off set are your wheels.
Back to top Go down
evets

evets

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 20:03

evets wrote:
evets wrote:
matty_mk1 wrote:

ok blue but i've spoken to a few people and thy said go for coil overs?? but was unsure if they would be too hard'a ride... what off set are your wheels.
off set on the allies i have are 16" vw ones... and are et42!!..
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 20:08

id go for coilovers really, cuz ya can lower the car to exactly where you want it to the mm, and if your only lowering 30-40mm the ride wont be very hard atall depending on the brand of coilover you go for.

so if the standard is ET 42 if you add 20mm adaptors to the you end up with an ET 22. so your best bet is to measure from the wheels you have atleast 20mm to see where they would sit and wot sort of arch clearance you have.
Back to top Go down
evets

evets

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 20:13

matty_mk1 wrote:
id go for coilovers really, cuz ya can lower the car to exactly where you want it to the mm, and if your only lowering 30-40mm the ride wont be very hard atall depending on the brand of coilover you go for.

so if the standard is ET 42 if you add 20mm adaptors to the you end up with an ET 22. so your best bet is to measure from the wheels you have atleast 20mm to see where they would sit and wot sort of arch clearance you have.
ok blue, so let me get this, if the wheels i'm looking at have an off set/ET of 35.. i should add a size 22mm adaptor!!?? sorry.. also what about the width its a 8.5j and the one on it are 6.5..
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 20:15

no m8, if the wheels you buy are et 35 and u add a 20mm adaptor it will bring the et down to et15. the lower the et the further out the wheel will sit.
Back to top Go down
evets

evets

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 20:20

matty_mk1 wrote:
no m8, if the wheels you buy are et 35 and u add a 20mm adaptor it will bring the et down to et15. the lower the et the further out the wheel will sit.
F*k me i'm well lost bud.... ha ha ha ha so it moves the wheel out towards the srch or makes it sit in more??...
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 20:23

the lower the ET the further the wheel goes towards the arch.

if u can let me now wot the offset of the wheels ur thinking of i can work it out for ya fella?
Back to top Go down
evets

evets

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 20:30

matty_mk1 wrote:
the lower the ET the further the wheel goes towards the arch.

if u can let me now wot the offset of the wheels ur thinking of i can work it out for ya fella?
the et of the wheels are ET35 they are on ebayunder merc alloys 18"... flat have a look let me know what you think blue..
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 20:40

Im not sure if theyll stick out abit then m8, although on the standard 18x7.5 that the mk4 gti ani have they are et38so it woul dbe the same as having them but with 20mm spaces and the extra 1/2inch on the width.
so that works out at 32.5mm.

so wot ya can do is measure fron the edge of your tyre to the arch and see if there is 32mm gap m8.

hth
Back to top Go down
evets

evets

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 20:42

matty_mk1 wrote:
Im not sure if theyll stick out abit then m8, although on the standard 18x7.5 that the mk4 gti ani have they are et38so it woul dbe the same as having them but with 20mm spaces and the extra 1/2inch on the width.
so that works out at 32.5mm.

so wot ya can do is measure fron the edge of your tyre to the arch and see if there is 32mm gap m8.

hth
nice one mate i'll have a look, tomorrow, you go to the meets in cambridge??
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 21:42

No worries fella,

yeah ill be at the meet m8 in the cabby in my avitar, come over n say hi m8
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. EmptyWed May 21 2008, 21:49

i can never understand offsets....ive looked into them a bit for when i eventually manage to get money for some new deep dishes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..   alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp.. Empty

Back to top Go down

alloy...mk4 gti turbo helllllpppppppppppppppppppppp..
Page 1 of 1