fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

lowering suspension swap

Go down 
+2
MarkGTX
mk2 1300 lil dubber
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mk2 1300 lil dubber

mk2 1300 lil dubber

Male Number of posts : 395
Drives : e30
Registration date : 2009-11-09

lowering suspension swap Empty
PostSubject: lowering suspension swap   lowering suspension swap EmptyMon Mar 08 2010, 18:01

does anyone know if it is alright to swap lowering coils onto standard struts wth adjustable mountings without any problems? im pretty sure it's alright to do, just wanted to double check with someone else that it is.
Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: lowering suspension swap   lowering suspension swap EmptyMon Mar 08 2010, 18:19

depends how low you go really. your standard shocks wont last as long on lower springs but should be ok really
Back to top Go down
mk2 1300 lil dubber

mk2 1300 lil dubber

PostSubject: Re: lowering suspension swap   lowering suspension swap EmptyMon Mar 08 2010, 18:23

only really want to go 40 - 60mm drop dependent on how it looks, and yeh half expected they wouldnt last that long. cheers for confirming me queries much appreciated lowering suspension swap 51732
Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: lowering suspension swap   lowering suspension swap EmptyMon Mar 08 2010, 18:27

you might aswell get some hot tuning coilovers from ebay. they are cheap as chips and you can get the height exactly as you want it. with springs its stuck there with no adjustment.

its gotta be coilovers to get the stance spot on
Back to top Go down
mk2 1300 lil dubber

mk2 1300 lil dubber

PostSubject: Re: lowering suspension swap   lowering suspension swap EmptyMon Mar 08 2010, 18:40

yeh i would but im fairly skint so bit of a no go buying coilovers as much as id love to have em
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: lowering suspension swap   lowering suspension swap EmptyMon Mar 08 2010, 23:14

if your that skint dont waste like £60 on springs, just cut them to be low for a little while then all you gotta do is save like another £100 and you will have enough for coilovers which you will be much happier with.

Also im expecting "dont cut springs its bad etc" but i have cut springs on so many cars and never had a problem however hard i have driven them. The celica gt4 and sierra i both had on cut springs got driven VERY hard and never had any problems and the sierra had 4 coils cut off.
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: lowering suspension swap   lowering suspension swap EmptyMon Mar 08 2010, 23:27

may mate fitted 60mm lowering spings on standard struts and they were fucked in a month, but that was on a civic

i had cut springs on my old mk3 was lowered about 60mm struts lastest few weeks longer than the civic.

i would say just save up for coilies as tiz said then you can go any hight you want and wont mess anything up and spend more many replacing the struts etc
Back to top Go down
millfischk69

millfischk69

Male Number of posts : 997
Drives : MK1 Golf GX 1457cc, 53 plate MK4 R32 in DPB, Kawasaki Ninja J1
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: lowering suspension swap   lowering suspension swap EmptyFri Mar 19 2010, 11:34

i agree with the coilies,

i have had springs on standard struts before on a clio and quite frankly it was poo lowering suspension swap 298631
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: lowering suspension swap   lowering suspension swap EmptyMon Mar 22 2010, 08:52

Tiz wrote:

Also im expecting "dont cut springs its bad etc"

I was expecting the you cant do that brigade to come out in force against you......
If I could be bothered I could show you the formula for working out spring return values but I wont bore you with it but what it means is when you cut coils off of a spring it actually raises the return value of it.
The danger actully lies in not having the spring tied to the strut where it would normally be kept in position by its length.

Cutting springs is not bad, not securing them is.

I loathe the anti spring brigade jumping up and down and however much you point out the laws of physics to them, they just point to the idiots who haven't cut springs properly and had a nasty demise due to their lack of mechanical skills (always a prime candidate for darwin awards imo)
Back to top Go down
mk2 1300 lil dubber

mk2 1300 lil dubber

PostSubject: Re: lowering suspension swap   lowering suspension swap EmptySun Mar 28 2010, 14:29

guy wrote:
Tiz wrote:

Also im expecting "dont cut springs its bad etc"

I was expecting the you cant do that brigade to come out in force against you......
If I could be bothered I could show you the formula for working out spring return values but I wont bore you with it but what it means is when you cut coils off of a spring it actually raises the return value of it.
The danger actully lies in not having the spring tied to the strut where it would normally be kept in position by its length.

Cutting springs is not bad, not securing them is.

I loathe the anti spring brigade jumping up and down and however much you point out the laws of physics to them, they just point to the idiots who haven't cut springs properly and had a nasty demise due to their lack of mechanical skills (always a prime candidate for darwin awards imo)

are you basically meaning that when cutting springs, to make them secure again its best to recut the edge so it sits in the mounting slot properly and it would be just as safe? and you say about the return value are you meaning the rebound and osilliation<(not sure how to spell) of the coil?

also would it be worse or better to stick lowering coils onto standard struts or just cut the standards? cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lowering suspension swap   lowering suspension swap Empty

Back to top Go down

lowering suspension swap
Page 1 of 1