fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
STRASSE KRIEGER

STRASSE KRIEGER

Male Number of posts : 204
Drives : MK3 GOLF
Registration date : 2009-06-10

MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP? Empty
PostSubject: MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP?   MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP? EmptySun Jan 10 2010, 20:48

My mk2 has been a really good runner after i sorted out the mixture its been running great then tonight after leaving a mates workshop i tried to pull away in first then dropped it to second to get better traction and it stalled and when i restarted her she ran fine but there was a kinda really bad tapin just like tappets on an old ford pushrod engine when they need adjusting but twice as bad, also there is a serious lack of power it'll barely go over 40mph.

we took off the rocker cover and the camshaft looks fine even when moving at tick over.

we took off the cambelt cover as we thought maybe it had jumped a couple of teeth??? but that looks tight and not slack and quite new.

we dont think its the bottom end shell bearings but it does sound internal??

we thought maybe its the hydraulic tappets but i havent got much of a clue about how they work or how to fix them etc to tell you the truth i'm not even sure what to look for when it comes to them lol but who knows lol

i'm trying to stay cheery about it and not let it bother me just get it sorted trouble is i need it for work tomorow and dont fancy risking driving it in lol
and i especially dont fancy riding in on my old cg125 lol.

so if anyone can help with advice etc i'd really appreciate it Smile

thanks

Gal
Back to top Go down
STRASSE KRIEGER

STRASSE KRIEGER

PostSubject: Re: MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP?   MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP? EmptySun Jan 10 2010, 20:52

oh yeah forgot to mention before its a 1300 mk2 golf d'reg its got the engine with the 3 centre bolts which hold down the rocker cover if it help to destinguish it from others ive seen.

sorry for the lack of info i cant remember the engine code and i've left my manual at my mates lol

cheers
Gal
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP?   MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP? EmptySun Jan 10 2010, 22:42

you checked your carb?

is the gasket split?
Back to top Go down
STRASSE KRIEGER

STRASSE KRIEGER

PostSubject: Re: MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP?   MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP? EmptyTue Jan 12 2010, 10:08

nah mate not a carb problem i'm sure why did you suspect that by the way??

cheers for the advice bud really appeciate it was hoping more people might try and give advice??? lol ohwell nevermind.
Back to top Go down
alex'87

alex'87

Male Number of posts : 261
Drives : mk3 golf derv wagon, mk1 caddy (project),mk1 mx5 skidder (project)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

PostSubject: Re: MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP?   MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP? EmptyTue Jan 12 2010, 18:26

does it idle?

has it used any fluids? (oil,water)

does it smoke?

knocking noise? pinking noise??
Back to top Go down
STRASSE KRIEGER

STRASSE KRIEGER

PostSubject: Re: MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP?   MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP? EmptyTue Jan 12 2010, 22:10

hi there mate
thanks for the reply but i went out this morning and took a more precise look at the cambelt i.e (i actually looked at the timing marks lol ) and the top pulley was off by about 2 teeth so it HAD jumped after all f*****g unlucky but there you go lol causing the pistons to very lightly touch the valves i reckon which was making that tapping noise and obviously giving the lack of power, so i slipped off the belt turned the cam and stuck it back on now it purrrrs like a kitten lol lucky b*****d or what?? actually touch wood its running better than it ever has touch wood touch wood i'm very superstiouswith that one not just kinky i swear MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP? Lol .

as happy as a pig in s**t lol

thanks again
Gal
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP?   MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP? EmptyWed Jan 13 2010, 09:50

glad it is sorted matey lets hope you havent done much damage MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP? 51732
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP?   MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP? Empty

Back to top Go down

MY MK2 IS PLAYING UP :( CAN ANYONE HELP?
Page 1 of 1