fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trouble starting in the cold and wet

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fool_hardy

fool_hardy

Male Number of posts : 152
Drives : MK2 Golf GTi
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Trouble starting in the cold and wet Empty
PostSubject: Trouble starting in the cold and wet   Trouble starting in the cold and wet EmptyMon Jan 04 2010, 12:26

Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help but I'm having issues with starting my MK2 8v. When I turn the ignition on the starter seems to really struggle and does not always turn, then the alarm will go off because I assume the battery voltage is dropping right off, as soon as i release the key the alarm stops. I've put a multi meter across the terminals of the battery and it's at about 12.2V with nothing on, and I'm getting a bit confused. It seems to just do it in the cold/wet weather. All the electrical connections seem good and the battery looks fairly new. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Stuart
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Trouble starting in the cold and wet   Trouble starting in the cold and wet EmptyMon Jan 04 2010, 12:37

Clean the cables where they fit to the starter motor and the earth strap on the body and the gearbox.

Be carefull taking them off the starter motor (disconect battery first) as ive had them shear the bolt before now as it had all rusted up horrible and was causing grief.

Clean all the contacts up and check that when the motors running your getting about 14.4 -14.6v across the terminals, If not then your alternators seen better days.
With the cold snap that we have had recently it will give any duff or slightly duff batteries a hard time or kill them, check the battery levels too.

I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
fool_hardy

fool_hardy

Male Number of posts : 152
Drives : MK2 Golf GTi
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Trouble starting in the cold and wet   Trouble starting in the cold and wet EmptyMon Jan 04 2010, 13:59

Cheers,

I'll give it a punt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trouble starting in the cold and wet   Trouble starting in the cold and wet Empty

Back to top Go down

Trouble starting in the cold and wet
Page 1 of 1