fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

engine raising.....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WeFoundThePark

Male Number of posts : 425
Drives : Low. Parks: Just as Low.
Registration date : 2009-05-18

engine raising..... Empty
PostSubject: engine raising.....   engine raising..... EmptySun Nov 29 2009, 01:26

has anyone raised an 8v GTI engine or any engine for that matter?

just wanted to see how people went about it and if they had any trouble after they'd done it?

i've pretty much knackered the sh*t out of my sump (massively dented and the bung ripped all the threads out getting caught on a gate support so is now sealed for life...) but i still want to go lower so i'm gonna raise the engine a little bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.betrayyourprinciples.co.uk/
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: engine raising.....   engine raising..... EmptySun Nov 29 2009, 01:36

PM my brother (69rat) he raised the engine in his mk3 by quite a bit wasnt hard at all i just cant remember what he done
Back to top Go down
BenjaminHeavey

BenjaminHeavey

Male Number of posts : 964
Drives : VW Passat B4 2.0 "Passion Wagon", VW Polo mk4 1.0
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: engine raising.....   engine raising..... EmptySun Nov 29 2009, 08:22

Could Add a plate under the car like lotus save you raising it plus i dont the same kinda missing a chuck out my gear box lol
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: engine raising.....   engine raising..... EmptySun Nov 29 2009, 10:29

you got 2 easy options

1; like ben said, get a plate wekded to the bottom of your sump i.e. some thick chequered plate usually does the trick.

2; you could create spacers to put underneath your engine mounts. depending on how much spacing you do, you may also need to create a spacer to go between the manifold and down pipe.

another issue you may come accross when raising the engine is that your throttle will catch on the bonnet. to cure the this you could beat the offending bar on your bonnet back or cut a chunk out of the bar. to follow what im talkin about, go pop your bonnet and look at the underisde.

welding a plate on the bottom of your sump is your easiest option
Back to top Go down
WeFoundThePark

Male Number of posts : 425
Drives : Low. Parks: Just as Low.
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: engine raising.....   engine raising..... EmptySun Nov 29 2009, 14:00

i was originally thinking about a skid pan / plate but the trouble is that the sump hits on the road if i catch a bump as it is so dont really fancy welding something that makes the sump even lower...

i reckon i can raise the engine over half an inch, maybe more, relatively easily. i've just had a look and that should mean the inlet just clears the bonnet supports. just.
Back to top Go down
http://www.betrayyourprinciples.co.uk/
BenjaminHeavey

BenjaminHeavey

Male Number of posts : 964
Drives : VW Passat B4 2.0 "Passion Wagon", VW Polo mk4 1.0
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: engine raising.....   engine raising..... EmptySun Nov 29 2009, 14:26

WeFoundThePark wrote:
i was originally thinking about a skid pan / plate but the trouble is that the sump hits on the road if i catch a bump as it is so dont really fancy welding something that makes the sump even lower...

i reckon i can raise the engine over half an inch, maybe more, relatively easily. i've just had a look and that should mean the inlet just clears the bonnet supports. just.

when im off this this week apart form replacing the manifold gasket im intending to fit either a wooden plate with a sheet of steel on or a complete steel plate depending on price
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: engine raising.....   engine raising..... EmptyMon Nov 30 2009, 14:36

WeFoundThePark wrote:

ive got an AGG bottom end on my 8v, which is a tall block. although only by about 12mm i think, i had to get the hammer out yesterday and beat the s**t out of the support...............but no more catching

what im getting at, is make sure your right before you raise it up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: engine raising.....   engine raising..... Empty

Back to top Go down

engine raising.....
Page 1 of 1