fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine

Go down 
+2
HOOLIGAN
Cherry
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cherry

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine Empty
PostSubject: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyTue Aug 04 2009, 21:54

(Excuse my description of this)
Ok, when its
hot and in idle or as i say when we slow down it keeps cutting out,
then it will either start again straight away or take a few tries and
honestly i have no idea what it could be, its been sat about for a few
months, its just passed an MOT although ive been told that doesnt mean
much, aside from this small problem it runs OK i think.
Any wisdom people?

(Be gentle with me with replies to this please, i have no understanding of cars I'm learning as i go along - thanks x)

Cherry
Back to top Go down
HOOLIGAN

Male Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyTue Aug 04 2009, 22:59

Cherry wrote:
(Excuse my description of this)
Ok, when its
hot and in idle or as i say when we slow down it keeps cutting out,
then it will either start again straight away or take a few tries and
honestly i have no idea what it could be, its been sat about for a few
months, its just passed an MOT although ive been told that doesnt mean
much, aside from this small problem it runs OK i think.
Any wisdom people?

(Be gentle with me with replies to this please, i have no understanding of cars I'm learning as i go along - thanks x)

Cherry
hey cherry, could be a couple of things to why its cutting out. 1st thing to check would be the coil and all the connections, ht leads,dizzy cap etc. 2nd would be to remove the carb and give it a good clean. check that theres no dirt etc in any of the jets or float bowl. if you do find dirt in it id recommend changing the fuel and air filters. hope this helps ya. retired vw mechanic
Back to top Go down
bramley

Male Number of posts : 89
Drives : Mk1 caddy
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyThu Aug 06 2009, 09:36

As it runs and idles really well when cold, only has problems when its up to temperature (it runs up to just past half way on the gauge - is this too hot?) do you think there may be a problem with the auto choke? I have no idea how they work but presumably based on some kind of thermostat? The fuel filter looks lovely and clean but we haven't had time to have a good poke around yet. feels like its miss-firing and cuts out on idle when warm, particularly annoying at traffic lights!! I have to pump the gas to re-start it...
Back to top Go down
Whitegt

Whitegt

Male Number of posts : 988
Drives : mk3 gti......................8v :(
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyThu Aug 06 2009, 09:56

sounds like the classic pierburg carb problems with the automatic choke, either get a manual choke conversion, or if you want to spend a bit more, go for a weber carb, get it set up properly and it will run like a dream:)
Back to top Go down
bramley

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyThu Aug 06 2009, 10:24

Nice one thanks mate! Will investigate manual choke conversions as much as I'd love to fit a weber carb, funds are tight!!
Back to top Go down
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyThu Aug 06 2009, 17:42

thanks guys, much to think about..xx
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyThu Aug 06 2009, 18:02

i had this problem with mine few months back, really foooookin annoying, only done it when warm and over half way on teh gauge, all i done was put anti freeze in :S, and its never done it since, i think it just sorted its self out tbh nout to do with the anti freeze
Back to top Go down
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyThu Aug 06 2009, 19:06

antifreeze? is that even safe?
you guys....crazy
x
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyMon Aug 10 2009, 11:58

not in the carb you silly sausage!, just mixed it in with the water been fine ever since
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyMon Aug 10 2009, 12:18

billybug wrote:
not in the carb you silly sausage!
lol!

Does it cut out when doing around 60?

Is the original airbox being used and is the warm air feed pipe connected from the exhaust manifold to the airbox?

Could be the classic carb icing prob
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
bramley

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyMon Aug 10 2009, 15:53

CaddyRage wrote:
billybug wrote:
not in the carb you silly sausage!
lol!

Does it cut out when doing around 60?

Is the original airbox being used and is the warm air feed pipe connected from the exhaust manifold to the airbox?

Could be the classic carb icing prob

Glad I didn't come home to find Cherry putting antifreeze in the carbs lol...

Nah it seems to be fine at speed - my guess is because it runs cooler when I'm not stuck in funking traffic in Norwich. I will check all the pipes and things are going to the right places - I'm pretty sure its the original airbox.

I think the car just gets pissed off with w*nkers driving in the city as much as I do... Might post in the wanted parts section for carbs - super tight budget though but Whitegt said something about manual choke conversion? would this be difficult? anyone on here done it?
Back to top Go down
Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine EmptyMon Aug 10 2009, 17:06

billybug wrote:
not in the carb you silly sausage!, just mixed it in with the water been fine ever since

oh my god im just embarrassing myself again, see what i mean guys, i needs serious helps.............
xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine   Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine Empty

Back to top Go down

Mk1 Caddy 1.6 petrol engine
Page 1 of 1