fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?

Go down 
+4
Ian83
bridgedubber
powerplant
Lupton_20vt
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too? Empty
PostSubject: Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?   Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too? EmptyFri Apr 10 2009, 00:25

the pump has been on there from new 80,000 miles and im starting to loose water when the car is running is it worth changing whilst doing the cammy?

cheers chris
Back to top Go down
powerplant

powerplant

Male Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?   Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too? EmptyFri Apr 10 2009, 06:16

would be worth it if loosing water...
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?   Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too? EmptyFri Apr 10 2009, 06:43

yeah why not mate.
Back to top Go down
Ian83

Ian83

Male Number of posts : 493
Drives : Mk4 GTi
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?   Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too? EmptyFri Apr 10 2009, 07:40

If your doing the cambelt you might aswell as if you need to change it later your going to need a new cambelt again.

They do sometimes start to weep from where the pulley shaft goes into the housing. Which with G2 antifreeze will leave a nice pink crust stain down the side of the engine!
Back to top Go down
vladimir

vladimir

Male Number of posts : 860
Drives : bora
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?   Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too? EmptyFri Apr 10 2009, 09:21

yes mate do it no point having to do it all again when it pops for good! i got some g12 antifrezze u can buy at a little price if u want?
Back to top Go down
Cupra20

Cupra20

Male Number of posts : 553
Drives : Ibiza Cupra
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?   Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too? EmptyFri Apr 10 2009, 13:57

If your changing the water pump make sure you change it for one with metal impelers, as the plastic ones are known for braking!!
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?   Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too? EmptyFri Apr 10 2009, 15:27

vladimirr32 wrote:
yes mate do it no point having to do it all again when it pops for good! i got some g12 antifrezze u can buy at a little price if u want?

yea well gsf want 22.50 for a metal impellar one. Lol i just got all the coolant anyway work at halfords you see trade discount.
Back to top Go down
vr6dub

vr6dub

Male Number of posts : 153
Drives : mk2 golf
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?   Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too? EmptySat Apr 11 2009, 17:24

Cupra20 wrote:
If your changing the water pump make sure you change it for one with metal impelers, as the plastic ones are known for braking!!

What he said. i replaced mine with metal impelers when changing the cam belt
Back to top Go down
mark-1vw

mark-1vw

Male Number of posts : 1234
Drives : ^^THE ABOVE ^^
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?   Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too? EmptySat Apr 11 2009, 18:37

if a cam belt runs a water pump i always change it, you don't wanna be doing the job again if it fails Idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?   Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too? Empty

Back to top Go down

Changing cam belt on my 1.8t best to do water pump too?
Page 1 of 1