fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coilovers, greaseing the threads?

Go down 
+2
matty_mk1
Liam B
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Liam B

Liam B

Male Number of posts : 1257
Drives : T4 Transporter, Mk2 Golf ABF
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Coilovers, greaseing the threads? Empty
PostSubject: Coilovers, greaseing the threads?   Coilovers, greaseing the threads? EmptyMon Feb 23 2009, 22:59

put a new set of coilies on in the summer, but like a knob didnt grease them, just sprayed them with wd40, and then did the same in december.

took my wheels off to day to see that the threads were looking mank, Suspect not sceazed tho, but painfully stiff!

i dont want to put grease on them as its sticky and i dont wont it to attract all the shite from the road.

whats the best course of action to take? what can i put on them that wont attract dirt? my mate said to put tape aroud the threds but if i greese them surly the tape wont stick?
what have you guys done? thanks Liam.
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Coilovers, greaseing the threads?   Coilovers, greaseing the threads? EmptyMon Feb 23 2009, 23:38

best type of grease to use is motorbike chain grease. tape wont last long atall. ive jsut left mine though and just drawn them with wd40 whenever i take the wheels off and theyve been fine so far.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Coilovers, greaseing the threads?   Coilovers, greaseing the threads? EmptyTue Feb 24 2009, 07:52

other things to look at are the gators motocross bikes use on their forks just cut iin half either side of the rings and cabletie top and bottom Smile
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Coilovers, greaseing the threads?   Coilovers, greaseing the threads? EmptyTue Feb 24 2009, 08:58

Football sock will pull over a coilover!.

Defo grease them though, yeah dirt will stick but atleast you can wipe off easy when you adjust again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
polo steph

polo steph

Female Number of posts : 1445
Drives : black 6n polo and 6n2 GTI
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Coilovers, greaseing the threads?   Coilovers, greaseing the threads? EmptyTue Feb 24 2009, 12:18

i have just put coilies on my gti polo n have bought sum spray on grease form ebay, i saw it recomended on another site, it seems pretty good stuff but i havent put it on yet, its called ACF-50, and is an aticorrosion. ive heard u can buy proper coilover socks from venom mayb?
Back to top Go down
bob_drinks_beer

bob_drinks_beer

Male Number of posts : 515
Drives : Polo 6n 1.4 16v

PostSubject: Re: Coilovers, greaseing the threads?   Coilovers, greaseing the threads? EmptyTue Feb 24 2009, 16:11

polo steph wrote:
i have just put coilies on my gti polo n have bought sum spray on grease form ebay, i saw it recomended on another site, it seems pretty good stuff but i havent put it on yet, its called ACF-50, and is an aticorrosion. ive heard u can buy proper coilover socks from venom mayb?

is it a pink ish can? used to use somethin similar on microlights (think it was acf-90), but more as an uber wd40 to undo stuff. its really good at stopping corrosion, but not sure how long it'd stay on for. assuming we mean the same stuff Smile lol
Back to top Go down
Liam B

Liam B

Male Number of posts : 1257
Drives : T4 Transporter, Mk2 Golf ABF
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Coilovers, greaseing the threads?   Coilovers, greaseing the threads? EmptyTue Feb 24 2009, 21:34

thanks guys and girls, will look into the stuff on ebay.
Back to top Go down
polo steph

polo steph

Female Number of posts : 1445
Drives : black 6n polo and 6n2 GTI
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Coilovers, greaseing the threads?   Coilovers, greaseing the threads? EmptyWed Feb 25 2009, 14:36

bob_drinks_beer wrote:
polo steph wrote:

is it a pink ish can? used to use somethin similar on microlights (think it was acf-90), but more as an uber wd40 to undo stuff. its really good at stopping corrosion, but not sure how long it'd stay on for. assuming we mean the same stuff Smile lol

hay, yeah thats the stuff, it is for airoplanes i think lol, thats y i thought it wud b pretty sh1te hot. it says it doesnt really wear off so only need apply every 12months?
ill link ya up: http:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1311&_nkw=anti+corrosion&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Back to top Go down
bob_drinks_beer

bob_drinks_beer

Male Number of posts : 515
Drives : Polo 6n 1.4 16v

PostSubject: Re: Coilovers, greaseing the threads?   Coilovers, greaseing the threads? EmptyWed Feb 25 2009, 16:19

polo steph wrote:
bob_drinks_beer wrote:
polo steph wrote:

hay, yeah thats the stuff, it is for airoplanes i think lol, thats y i thought it wud b pretty sh1te hot. it says it doesnt really wear off so only need apply every 12months?
ill link ya up: http:
[url=http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1311&_nkw=anti+corrosion&_sacat=See-All-Categories
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1311&_nkw=anti+corrosion&_sacat=See-All-Categories[/quote[/url]]
yup same stuff!

gonna try some on mine as mine are siezed solid on one corner!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coilovers, greaseing the threads?   Coilovers, greaseing the threads? Empty

Back to top Go down

Coilovers, greaseing the threads?
Page 1 of 1