fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Might as well introduce myself

Go down 
+16
mk1g60phill
tyeness
lee
martinb
curtis_caddy
ratlook_ping
Buey
Ian83
Tiz
alex'87
MarkGTX
billybug
matty_mk1
bridgedubber
krazy*k
westie
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
westie

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Might as well introduce myself Empty
PostSubject: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyTue Feb 03 2009, 09:54

Right well, names Paul, 18 and from Rushden in northants. Passed my test last thursday but unfortunately don't have a car yet. Aiming to get a VW of some kind though, preferably a mk3 golf lol but some people are trying to persuade me otherwse. I've liked VW's for ages and always wanted one (i think my dad must be sick of me by now Laughing). Found this site because a dude at my dads work gave him a Fendubbers card Cool. I think that's about it for a general introduction so far, if you wanna know more feel free to ask haha
Back to top Go down
krazy*k

krazy*k

Female Number of posts : 513
Drives : MK3 polo G40 Slag
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyTue Feb 03 2009, 11:11

congratulations on passing your test and welcome to the club ( u have so gotta get a vw for a 1st car & 2nd, 3rd lol )
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cambsdubcollective/
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyTue Feb 03 2009, 13:17

good one for passing!

youll prob regret getting a mk3 if its a 1.4, aim to get a reasonable sized engine.

my old 1.4 was nippy but loads a people say theres are crap
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyTue Feb 03 2009, 13:19

Congrats on passing cheers

And welcome along.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
westie

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyTue Feb 03 2009, 20:04

Cheers for the kind words and warm welcome Smile

So far i don't actually know what car i'm in the game for getting. Like i say i'd love to have a nice mk3 golf, but the insurance would kill on the bigger sized engines and people are trying to put me off getting a 1.4. Parents want me to get a Polo or something but i'm just not too keen on them to be honest. Decisions, decisions lol Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyTue Feb 03 2009, 20:20

I dont think you can go wrong with a lupo/arosa for you first car tbh, pretty nippy especially the 1.4s and cheap to run and insure. what more could ya want for first year or so.
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyTue Feb 03 2009, 22:37

welcome! nice one for passing!

mk3 1.4s are pretty slow!, i had a 1.8 when i was 18 but the insurance was alot tbh, it depends if you wanna go fast really Razz
Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyTue Feb 03 2009, 22:45

welcome along, like matty says a lupo or a polo would be a good first car, cheap to insure and run.

also insurnance is going to be stupid money even for a small engined car. when i passed my test i payed £120 a month for a 1.8gti rocco, and that was as a named driver on a policy with my dad.

just get something that handles nicely, maybe not vey fast but still puts a smile on your face when your going round the twisties
Back to top Go down
westie

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyTue Feb 03 2009, 23:00

Cheers people Very Happy. So, just out of curiosity, what do we reckon to mk4 golfs. Is the 1.4 version any good. Considering this as an option as it's a lower insurance group than mk3's. Failing that i'll have to look for a clean polo or something like you say lol
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyTue Feb 03 2009, 23:11

i wouldnt go for a 1.4 mk4 will be silly slow most likely be povity spec and youll be suprised how low mpg youll get out of it.
Back to top Go down
alex'87

alex'87

Male Number of posts : 261
Drives : mk3 golf derv wagon, mk1 caddy (project),mk1 mx5 skidder (project)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyWed Feb 04 2009, 09:45

i would get yourself a mk3 polo as ur first car. 1300's are pretty nippy and with a decent drop it'll handle well too. its ur first car so ur never gonna get insured on anything big without really spending lots of money. a fun car doesn't nesessarily have to be quick!!!!!
Back to top Go down
westie

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyWed Feb 04 2009, 12:00

Yeah I'm not really looking for something particularly quick just yet, i'll wait till i get a few years no claims before that lol, at the minute just looking for something that's reasonable all round y'know

I've got a soft spot for the mk3 polo's, only trouble would be finding one in good condition that wouldn't need a lot of work putting into it...my dads given me several lectures which have really limited my potential selection of cars. He's worked at alconbury on all the cars for god knows how many years and says that he doesn't want me to have a car that'll want a lot of work to keep it going :|
Back to top Go down
alex'87

alex'87

Male Number of posts : 261
Drives : mk3 golf derv wagon, mk1 caddy (project),mk1 mx5 skidder (project)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyWed Feb 04 2009, 12:55

there's loadsa really good ones out there. what you spend is what you get. the coupe's do hold their money quite well, but they are really good cars, and they look the tits when done up right!
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyWed Feb 04 2009, 13:16

for gods sake dont get a mk4 1.4 they are so underpowered its unbelieveable. A friend of mine has one and hes had to have a new gearbox and his bottom end is going. Dont think just cause its newer it wont need work it will just be more expensive to fix than the older stuff.

For a first car definately try and get a polo.

and dont get a mk3 1.4 they are such dull cars you will be after a week lol.
Back to top Go down
Ian83

Ian83

Male Number of posts : 493
Drives : Mk4 GTi
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyWed Feb 04 2009, 18:57

Hello and welcome along
Back to top Go down
Buey

Buey

Male Number of posts : 483
Drives : Mk1 VW Golf Cabrio & Seat Leon FSi

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyWed Feb 04 2009, 21:13

Hello Paul,
I dont think you will go far wrong with most VWs, contrary to what people think most people dont keep there first car much longer than a year if they havent smashed it up beforehand. So dont worry too much about speed, you will look for that on your second car. 1.4 Polos or Lupos will be quicker than a 1.4 mk4 golf and if your heavy with the right foot, more economical too. But I recently sold a mk3 1.4 golf on a P'reg only done 65k miles I put a nice set of alloys on it and the computer said I was averaging 32mpg. Not a bad car for a first car.
You sound like yo have your head srewed on right so I think you should have whatever car you want as long as it has the VW badge on it and you can insure it, im sure you will go for a quicker car second time around.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=669158062&r
westie

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyThu Feb 05 2009, 11:34

Thanks for the kind words and advice Smile it's much appreciated.

Think i've found quite a nice mk3 golf up for sale, only done 38k and has every MOT and history etc. Body looks clean as and the seats look hardly used Shocked. only 1 and a half hour drive from me so i think i'll be taking a look Wink
Back to top Go down
ratlook_ping

ratlook_ping

Male Number of posts : 585
Drives : Mk1 golf
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyFri Feb 06 2009, 08:47

get a mk1 driver? they may not be fast in a streight line, but dropped on coilies theres not much thatll stay with one thru the bends, muuuchhhh more fun Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ping_i
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

Male Number of posts : 3070
Drives : mk2 driver
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyFri Feb 06 2009, 10:35

ratlook_ping wrote:
get a mk1 driver? they may not be fast in a streight line, but dropped on coilies theres not much thatll stay with one thru the bends, muuuchhhh more fun Smile

agreed! tom (tiz) had a little 1.3 4 gear beast. wasnt the faster car in the world but did pull hard geek
Back to top Go down
ratlook_ping

ratlook_ping

Male Number of posts : 585
Drives : Mk1 golf
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyFri Feb 06 2009, 11:00

i had a driver, wa a fook site funner round the twisty stuff than my gti, (minus the fact my gti runs like a pig)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ping_i
martinb
martinb

Male Number of posts : 1760
Drives : Corrado G60
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyFri Feb 06 2009, 12:40

Hello & welcome Cool
Back to top Go down
lee

lee

Male Number of posts : 401
Drives : mk5 gti. gsxr750
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyFri Feb 06 2009, 21:44

hi & welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
westie

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptySun Feb 08 2009, 15:14

Thanks everyone Smile

Been a bit disheartened by insurance. It seems i won't even be able to insure a 1l polo, given my current situation i think a quote of £1.5k is a bit steep, especially considering the car. :pale:
Back to top Go down
krazy*k

krazy*k

Female Number of posts : 513
Drives : MK3 polo G40 Slag
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyMon Feb 09 2009, 11:16

how come you cant insure a 1l polo ? thats what i had when i first passed and my insurance was £500 from directline that was the cheapest i could find
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cambsdubcollective/
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself EmptyMon Feb 09 2009, 14:56

westie wrote:
Thanks everyone Smile

Been a bit disheartened by insurance. It seems i won't even be able to insure a 1l polo, given my current situation i think a quote of £1.5k is a bit steep, especially considering the car. :pale:

geeez!, or though when i had my bug as my first car my insurance was over 2500!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Might as well introduce myself   Might as well introduce myself Empty

Back to top Go down

Might as well introduce myself
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next