fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi

Go down 
+24
Tobz
Maizetina
kevdub
todd
azzeer
vr6dub
Marvel
ruffdub
mk1g60phill
onlyady
barnzy beetle
max
Lupton_20vt
MarkGTX
LewisG
remy313
greased-up-deaf-guy
curtis_caddy
billybug
pinky
CaddyRage
Tiz
VW Mike
mk1rolf
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

Male Number of posts : 877
Drives : 76 bus..superfly Tdi
Registration date : 2008-01-21

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Empty
PostSubject: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySun Nov 02 2008, 09:48

So my main project has had to be put on the back burner as this has to come first ........

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Picture482

After braking down one to many times it was time for a different approach .............

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Engine

2 litre Subaru turbo .............Very Happy

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Image020-2

petrol tank is now out as well, just got to wait for my new bell housing so i can mount the lump in for the rest of the fabrication work to begin..

This afternoon is gonna be spent stripping back the wiring loom:cry:

Last edited by mk1rolf on Fri Jan 17 2014, 20:07; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySun Dec 21 2008, 11:00

It's been a while but...

Cut in a t3 hatch for easier access

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Hatch2

Rjes bell housing.........

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Bellhousing

was hoping to get the gearbox bracket done this weekend and have the engine sitting in situ.....sadly it never happened

Also got to weld these into the original bus tank

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Suabarupumpfixing

everyone likes shiny things......

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi 73c5_1_sbl

Manifold has got to be cut here and there to re-locate the turbo as it originally sits behind the engine..in the bus that will in croach on the firewall and the petrol tank Shocked

so it's going to be somewhere like this

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Eng-stand3
Back to top Go down
VW Mike
VW Mike

Male Number of posts : 2138
Drives : LWB T5 and 69 bug - we will see who is fastest on the strip hey Mark ;)
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyMon Dec 22 2008, 10:45

looks like as fine project there sir Smile will be interested to see updates Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.mightymetamorphicracing.co.uk
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyMon Dec 22 2008, 13:52

Cheers dude cheers , i was beginning to wonder if i'd done something wrong.. over 100 views and not a single comment ,good or bad.....confused
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyMon Dec 22 2008, 15:30

looking good dude should be nice with that lump in it, reliable and quick. What power is it standard and are you going for more or keeping standard for reliability? Gonna sound nice too afro.

oh yeah and what you doing for cooling?
Back to top Go down
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyMon Dec 22 2008, 16:15

Hey, from what i can make out they are 200bhp standard :pale: , so untill i can get an uprated gearbox ( even the later 2 litre bay boxes are going for around the £400 mark affraid ) im going to have to be pretty light footed, not to mention the non servo 'have to stand up on the pedal to slow down' brakes taking a battering.....

Ideally i just wanted a 2.2 non turbo, but i was drunken on ebay one night and this was a bargain buy it now.......and i just wanted the sound of a bloody great dirty dump valve:twisted: ..

Cooling wise ive got a big 'ol jag radiator that's going underneath with a scoop....
Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyMon Dec 22 2008, 18:48

Best thing to do with old air cooled cars, fit reliable water cooled motors lol!

Keep up the good work fella king
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
pinky

pinky

Male Number of posts : 344
Drives : Polo G40 Coupe
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyWed Dec 24 2008, 00:18

I was going to ask why you didn't fit a subura NA engine, I can appreciate what your doing I just think its a bit of a waste in a camper. Very nicely though done I wish I had the time and patience on something as large as a camper
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyWed Dec 24 2008, 00:49

CaddyRage wrote:
Best thing to do with old air cooled cars, fit reliable water cooled motors lol!

Keep up the good work fella king

but unreliable aircooled engine are way more fun Laughing
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

Male Number of posts : 3070
Drives : mk2 driver
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyWed Dec 24 2008, 19:23

glad to see your going the rjes way, mate of ours got mixed up with a tsr conversion, not good Suspect least your can run the subaru starter now and from what we have seen from rjes its all good quality gear. get your rad well sorted as our mate had a lot of trouble with colling his Cry
Back to top Go down
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyWed Dec 24 2008, 22:32

billybug wrote:

but unreliable aircooled engine are way more fun Laughing

Not when you've got young kids and an irrate missus they're not No

Ive heard a few nightmare storys to do with the tsr conversions...not good when your paying 6 large for it No .. The Rjes stuff is quality and just as importantly he'll help you out no matter how many emails you throw at him to do with the complete conversion...

I know what you mean pinky..it is alot that wont get used...but it was sooo cheap i couldn't let it pass

Nearly finished the gearbox mount, so hopefully have the engine in before the new year
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyThu Dec 25 2008, 01:42

it will be a beast Smile you will get to blow some chavs away in a vw camper Laughing thats my idea of fun!
Back to top Go down
greased-up-deaf-guy

Male Number of posts : 379
Drives : Seat inca
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySat Dec 27 2008, 21:09

One sweet project mate, looks like its gonna be a tight squeeze lol.

Cant wait to hear it tear past!
Back to top Go down
remy313

remy313

Male Number of posts : 299
Drives : Pea mint green polo
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyMon Dec 29 2008, 12:49

you have pulled your finger out then and done some work, more than me ay, im slacking big time,

i was behind you yesterday at the traffic lights outside the worx aka the jobcentre,

u have a good xmas?
Back to top Go down
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySun Jan 18 2009, 20:12

Remy you old git, how you doing?....you wernt behind me dude, must of been the missus, i was laid up with flu......

My god it's been nearly a month doesn't time fly affraid ..... So then, now the festive shenanigans are well and truly over ( i had flu for most of it ) it's time to get a move on.....

welded the swirl pot into the tank.....

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Petroltank1

Then using the section of subaru tank that held the swirl pot i sealed it up.........well after cutting in the mounting for the fuel pump

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Petroltank2

Due to the subaru tank being deeper i had to shorten the length of the pump........

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Petroltank3

Then ground back the welds and double checked that there were no holes before using a little etch primer to see off any rust before i paint next week..

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Petroltank4

hopefully by then i'll have the tank lining and get that part done and out of the way......
Also chopped and re welded the gearbox hanger, although im not overly happy with it and may change it a little......

oh tried to get the clutch shaft fitted................... only i got the wrong size repair kit Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySun Jan 25 2009, 18:49

Some more slow progress today...

Wanted to finish the tank off today but the weather had other ideas ....... so i put that to one side and played around with the gearbox hanger...
Couldn't manage to track down a standard 20mm cross shaft repair kit so went with an after market urethane jobbie.... which was a little over sized and needed a light sanding ( with the angle grinder Twisted Evil ).... Subaru clutch bearing then went in..
Then trail fitted the box back in the van....
forgot the camera this morning so sub standard phone pics
..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Gearbox01
..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Hanger
..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Hanger1
..There would have been a lot more done only.................... i've left these bits in a 'safe' place.....and now can't find them.... the bearing is for the flywheel so has to go in first before the clutch can be fitted and the engine in the van Rolling Eyes
..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Tat029
oh well, hopefully have the engine in next weekend...... if i get the re-ordered bit's in time..
Back to top Go down
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySat Jan 31 2009, 18:59

Good day today, well better than usual as i didn't have a hangover Surprised ..... The parts turned up in time so it was all systems go......

The input shafts are different between the subaru and the vw , you can now get specially made shafts if you want to run a subaru or aftermarket clutch if you want to run BIG power...........I don't* ,i think 200bhp is enough for a bus and went with a 228mm vw friction plate......

So bearing in, plate in ...then connect up..
..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Setup

mounted up in it's new home....... well not totally, gearbox is mounted just got to create an engine support bar ( or if i can't do it, buy the Rjes one)
..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Setup1

Because the turbo clutch runs opposite (it pushes rather than pulls) i have to run a hydraulic set up (just a little bit more grief to over come then Rolling Eyes )
..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Setup2

Then couldn't resist seeing a bit of shiny ..........was hoping just to have to modify the next section that runs to the turbo, but the pipe work is hanging far to low and i dont think i'll have much if any ground clearance once it's off the ramps
..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Setup3

*....Yeah right Twisted Evil would love more, but dont have the funds that are needed
Back to top Go down
LewisG

LewisG

Male Number of posts : 245

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySat Jan 31 2009, 20:07

good work fella, its guna be immense when you get it done.
Back to top Go down
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySun Feb 01 2009, 18:29

cheers dude.. Very Happy ....

So, today......
Was supposed to get some box section off a mate ........ but i forgot to let him know Laughing

So came up with a plan....

Original late bay bar, turned upside down , a little grinder work

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Enginebar

with the original mounts moved back...and hey presto........... still need to weld two plates to it for the engine mounts to sit

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Enginebar1
Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySun Feb 01 2009, 18:50

its getting there, should be cool when its done! theres been a scooby sat idling outside my house for the last 20 mins and they do sound rather nice
Back to top Go down
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySun Feb 08 2009, 19:45

Had to work saturday and only got half a day in today...not happy..

Anyway.........more on the engine bar, spent most of the time underneath the engine measuring................... then re-measuring and still getting it wrong Laughing

After a lot of cutting and grinding( love my grinder I love you ) i ended up with this

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Enginebar2

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Enginebar3

Wasn't ( and still not really) happy with the corners, so added a bit of support.....may add side angles next week

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Enginebar4

Just have to wait and see if my welding (and the welder only being 90amp) is up to the job.... :pale:

...oh and my eldest daughter has told me it's got to be painted pink..... queen
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySun Feb 08 2009, 21:14

looks good fella fair play on taking on such a big task. My mate works at a garage in exning that does this especially, been down the yard in one or two of them, certainly puts a smile across the face with the dump valve Very Happy . Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptySun Feb 08 2009, 22:16

the welds look ok fella, and the way that plate is attached it should be strong enough. you could put some angles on the corners for peace of mind but it should be strong enough.
Back to top Go down
mk1rolf

mk1rolf

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyMon Feb 09 2009, 19:01

cheers guys Very Happy ....

i think im going to add some angles at the weekend just for piece of mind..

Laughing when it's cold and everything is going wrong, i have to stop and just remind myself.....it's all about the dump valve.....
Back to top Go down
greased-up-deaf-guy

Male Number of posts : 379
Drives : Seat inca
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi EmptyMon Feb 09 2009, 19:15

Coming alone nicely! Good work on the engine bar, was gonna say either turn your welder up abit or slow your wire feed down alittle.

I so wanna hear this on the road!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi   ..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi Empty

Back to top Go down

..'76 Baywindow...briefly EJ20T now going superfly Tdi
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next