fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cat C write off

Go down 
+4
Tiz
matty_mk1
MarkGTX
d4n1el
8 posters
AuthorMessage
d4n1el

d4n1el

Male Number of posts : 40
Drives : seat ibiza sport
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyWed Oct 12 2011, 14:54

Hi peeps,

I sold a car on ebay a coulpe of weeks back and the bloke has sent me a msg saying the car is a cat c write off and wants some money back. His words were " if you don't give me £100.00 of my money back i will get it through other means ". I am assuming he means leagally and just wanted to know if anybody knows where i stand on this. I genuinely didn't know the car was a cat c and sold it in good faith.

Thanks,

Dan.
Back to top Go down
MarkGTX

MarkGTX

Male Number of posts : 2925
Drives : Rocco and Passat
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyWed Oct 12 2011, 15:01

I have always thought a car was sold as seen unless stated otherwise. Maybe check the eBay guide lines and see is they have anything to say.

Also, it may nit even be a cat c, he could be just conning you for £100.

Oh, and he really should have checked before bidding if it concerns him that much
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyWed Oct 12 2011, 15:06

Simply do a hpi on the car, that will tell you everything.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
d4n1el

d4n1el

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyWed Oct 12 2011, 15:12

I got on to the phone to the dvla and they have confirmed that it was recorded as a cat c in may 2010. And as for ebay, he is trying to say the car was not as described. But i agree and think he should have checked before buying.

Last edited by d4n1el on Wed Oct 12 2011, 15:51; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyWed Oct 12 2011, 15:23

you are technically breaking the law if you sell a written off car without informing the new buyer.
Back to top Go down
d4n1el

d4n1el

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyWed Oct 12 2011, 15:48

OK, bit of an update.

After speaking to trading standards, they have told me that as long as the car was as described, i have not done anything wrong because i never put in the advert that it WASN'T a cat c therefor the buyer should have checked/asked before buying, so i am not breaking the law. This only applys to private sales not trade.
Back to top Go down
nelds

nelds

Male Number of posts : 1816
Drives : 2.5TDI T4 LWB
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyWed Oct 12 2011, 19:11

you cant inform the buyer is was Cat C if you didnt know.......he should have carried out a HPI check
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyWed Oct 12 2011, 20:10

If it wasnt written off in your ownership then the person who sold you the car broke the law. Whoever owned the car when it was written off should have informed the new owner and that should have been carried through. Hopefully you don't end up in court for it as its swings and roundabouts. I dont think it would wash becase you didnt say anything about it being a write off as that would open so many loopholes.
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyThu Oct 13 2011, 15:25

IF he had bought it from a bonifide auto trader then he'd have recourse.
If he bought it in a shady deal out the back of a pub for a third of its value then buyer beware.
He actually bought it from a private sale that was openly advertised to the best of its knowledge,
HE failed to check out what he was buying so = TOUGH TITTIES BATMAN,
If he chose to take you to small claims (which he could) the judge would probably rule in your favour unless you have a history of this sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
Tiz

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyThu Oct 13 2011, 15:59

that theory works fine in the case of like a blown engine etc but not a written off car not being declared. If you remember I had to go to court over that poxy beetle so had to read up on these laws pretty well as I decided to represent myself.
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyThu Oct 13 2011, 16:40

Tom, I bow to your greater knowledge, but as far as I recall its innocent till proven guilty.
They have to prove intent and motive.

Ultimately, the law doesn't protect you from being stupid with your money.
Only a judge could rule reasonably in a case such as this.
Surely common sense should prevail, I'd offer half the money with out prejudice

Back to top Go down
rp24k

rp24k

Male Number of posts : 522
Drives : Audi S4 Avant, 2011 t5, 74 bay, Audi A1 S-line tdi
Registration date : 2009-12-05

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: .   Cat C write off  EmptyFri Oct 14 2011, 09:00

you are definately not breaking the law by selling a cat c write off car. you only need to tell the person who is buying it if they ask. if you lie and say its not a write off then you are breaking the law
Back to top Go down
mystic blue

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-10-03

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  EmptyFri Oct 14 2011, 20:01

if it was in 2010 the v5 is marked so he new as soon as you gave him the log book
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cat C write off  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cat C write off    Cat C write off  Empty

Back to top Go down

Cat C write off
Page 1 of 1