fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be

Go down 
+21
nelds
shippy666
jim-uk16
mark-1vw
BenxK
todd
Pistacheuro
Lupton_20vt
tomstanforster
CustomChris
69rat
billybug
hoopster
Tiz
caddyman
bridgedubber
MK1G60
VW Mike
CaddyRage
matty_mk1
curtis_caddy
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
VW Mike
VW Mike

Male Number of posts : 2138
Drives : LWB T5 and 69 bug - we will see who is fastest on the strip hey Mark ;)
Registration date : 2008-01-18

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 29 2012, 06:36

I'm disappointed you didn't go for pink dude :(
Back to top Go down
http://www.mightymetamorphicracing.co.uk
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

Male Number of posts : 3070
Drives : mk2 driver
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 29 2012, 19:15

sorry man Cry would have set the black and silver off nice that!

so thought i would post some sneaky pics of what im up to instead of the golf, more to come of the "car" there going on after the hectic weekend planned.

before
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0023-3

after
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 Adam4
Back to top Go down
jim-uk16

jim-uk16

Male Number of posts : 599
Drives : 83 MK1, Octavia Workhorse and general chum's carrier pigeon
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyTue Apr 17 2012, 19:52

I'm seriously starting to worry about you joe.....what started as a daily has gone waaaaay too far!! Shocked

And every part ive brought over to you, you've cut, welded, trimmed!! is any of it left?

looking bang on though mate, i'll bring your interior trim over this week Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 06:35

not updated this in an age, have been super busy with peoples wheels etc. been chipping away with this but not bothered to update it, got to the stage i have a few pics to show something pretty good.

gearbox shifter mech all split, masked blasted and painted as per usual
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 2ce93a5e
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 43c0836c
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0125-1

pd passat inlet manfiold, blanked and soaked in fairy power spray for a week. turned all the diesel crud to slop so i could clean it out better
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0129-2
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0130-2

next onto the turbo, dan the man once again come through and got the stud out, so i could continue with the next stages.
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0140
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0141-2

turbo and inlet ready for blasting
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0145-1

turbo lightly blasted to get the lumpy rust bits off, then a few little bits taken off and masked
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0146-1

cold side painted in heat silver
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0153-2

jodie spent her day off helping too, got loads done so great success! she back masked the cold side then painted the hot side heat black
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0158-2

she then blasted and painted a few bits that hold the oil pipe on the turbo
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0159-2
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0162-2
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0164-4

then back in one piece, really pleased with this!
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0166-2

inlet mani, egr, exhasut mani, gaskets, new studs, bolts and nuts ready to all go on. its all bolted up now but got to dark for photos
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0168

down pipe parts came, 3 90degree bends, meter of tube, flexi piece, 10m of heat wrap in black and some nice stainless fancy cable ties
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0144

cut up, tacked and test fitted again
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 0d1ee1a4

back off for all teh above to happen to the turbo etc, so the down pipe got several coats of heat black then heat wrapped the next day
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0169-2

Back to top Go down
CaddyRage
Admin
CaddyRage

Male Number of posts : 6348
Drives : T4 2.5tdi daily, 83 mk1 golf gti 16v, 92 mk1 Caddy project
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 08:44

Nice work man
Back to top Go down
http://www.fendubbers.co.uk
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 10:53

Solid progress there Joe.

Cool

Is that an allard egr delete?
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 10:56

Cheers chaps Smile

More samco ordered for boost pipes and turbo

No Chris I made it, with spout for my landy pump

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0143-1
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 10:57

Top notch welding dude!
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyWed Apr 25 2012, 11:01

Yeh stu isn't bad at all really, couple pics of the new rad and cooler set up
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 E36de2bd
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 B0a027e7
Back to top Go down
caddyman

caddyman

Number of posts : 1127
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyThu Apr 26 2012, 08:42

spot on dude must pop ova at weekend in the new weapon and drop your bits off to lol Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptySun May 13 2012, 09:55

few from yesterday, havent updated really as been pretty busy with work and other peoples stuff. thought i would update in bulk once i made progress.

one boost pipe made, more plans and ideas thrown about with the lads about breathers and header tanks, so will show those once there complete too, so all of a sudden everything should just fall together, right? Laughing

so go back a few weeks, i had my pump sent off and rebuilt inside and out, i roughly blasted it first before it went thinking paint it when it come back but it come back perfect! brand new like everything else!

before
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 3aa0ca96

after
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0187-1

also steve kindly done a very firendly price on the quick shift mk3 kit out of his mk2 that sadly killed itself! so after replacing the hole bushes and linkages for the shifter with new items i took it back apart again, dont think i put pictures up from the other week when i done this so it doesnt look like ive gone backwards too much! good comparison of the stock and after market kit
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0186
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0184

bump bracket adapted ages ago by dan, blasted and painted after another meeting with the grinder to make my cam belt cover fit so had to repaint that again too. backing plate finally fully welded, blasted and painted too.
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0188-2

pump on
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0191-2

before i start i must say the idea of this in basic terms was from chris, so im sure he will take credit for the mounting positioning. so thanks to chris!

so with basics mapped out quick drawing and took it into work to speed the process up, onto some 3mm alloy, quickly rough cut the outside edge, and holes drilled.
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 3aed845c

inside edge took out with a punch and die on a fly press, serious arm ache after this bit!
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 73f6cd11

filed and sanded to shape, checked with drawing. unsure why but it looks a lot bigger that the drawing!
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 583f9dd1

top and bootom H sections cut and sanded (less work to brush finish it if the starting point is better)
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 701ed8ee

then tacked up to the picture i posted in the week, can see how big it actualy is next to the relentless can
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 6acbcd99

with that dont time to work on the cable splitter/holder. so stu let me pinch a bit of his jig for his aviation chassis so that saved me buying some.

mapped out
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 4c05f8a0

drilled
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 14828565

cut of the lump
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 F91b4f68

side hole drilled, next the sides were cut off with the grinder, roughly shaped then refined on the circular sander to correct shape.
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 A95e63d8
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 A703bec0

file wrapped in sand paper to take the hard marks from the sander out, then finished with scotchbrite
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 47c7aedb

the most worrying part, cutting it up
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 16a56bb7

laptop just frozen, more pictures in 5!

cut in half
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 40985532

layed out to see how it is doing for size
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 28804ee8

so whats it for im sure a few thing think? it holds the shifter cables away from the down pipe. the down pipe i made runs right where the cables wanted to go! so nice flow on the zorst and make the cables work around it was the plan. so if you read the thread i made my own shifter tower so cables HAVE to go through the fire wall. if i was running a stock set up im sure i could have done away with all this but theres no fun in that!

so holes in the fire wall drilled, more pics of how it all works next week once the shifter is in the car too i hope Smile
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0194-1

it all bolts down onto the holes in the stearing rack for the rod change set up for the rod change boxes.
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0195-1
Back to top Go down
caddyman

caddyman

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptySun May 13 2012, 16:22

im in love dam you lol i feel another project coming on lol
Back to top Go down
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyWed May 23 2012, 08:08

this progress is amazing!
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyWed May 23 2012, 08:11

Cheers dude, loads more done but no pics yet. Boost pipes made and yes fitted Smile

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 35501585
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 A7d82c00
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 74fbb3cb
Back to top Go down
MK1G60
Admin
MK1G60

Male Number of posts : 1015
Drives : MK1 ABF Bike Carbd, MK1 G60/20vt Project, MK1 Caddy 1.6D
Registration date : 2009-08-01

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyWed May 23 2012, 18:03

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 51732
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyThu Aug 02 2012, 18:49

decided i wasnt going to update this until it was completely done, changed my camera a couple weeks back and lost all my bloody photos since i last update, was nearly 100 a lost! so bit gutted as ive done loads since! biggest hold up was sorting a turbo after finding out the t3 was pretty worn out, so decided to go big or go home.
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 7699434212_662eda9dd0
turbo by the pinstriper, on Flickr

so dan made an adaptor for the turbo last week, nice alloy mock up jobby as we new it would need sorting. version two should be sorted tomo so i can cut up my down pipe and sort that then all back apart again, down pipe and zorst manifold are getting ceramic coating then will re heat wrap the down pipe just for the nicer look as the coating will keep temps down more than the wrap. should all being well be at edition with this!

caddy mans teve got most of my interior back in at the weekend too, was like a mobile shed before but i held him up as i hadnt got all my side of things done! morfe pics soon...

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 7699438842_c104928e06
shifter by the pinstriper, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
caddyman

caddyman

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyThu Aug 02 2012, 22:16

you not finished that bloody shifter yet lol
Back to top Go down
ra man

ra man

Male Number of posts : 119
Drives : mk2 20v, defender 90, ccm r30, yzf r6
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyFri Aug 03 2012, 13:41

i'll be round tomorrow mate
Back to top Go down
caddyman

caddyman

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptyFri Aug 03 2012, 14:33

ra man it will be running tommorw then Razz
you best get polishing josph lol
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 12 2013, 09:56

havent really done updates in order for ages, i thought i lost a few pics along the way when i got a new camera but the memory card seems to want to play ball so got a few back. so i will try and continue in some detailof what went on for this to just turn into a near finished car.

skipping a few months back was the joys of wiring, luckily adam was nice enough to come over for a couple days over some weekends to chop up some looms to create my minimal bay loom, new fan loom to work off of an over ride switch thats in the shifter tower, and chop all teh unwanted bits out of the light looms. then he sepperated them into a few sections to run down either chassis leg and a few into the scuttle, so the engine loom runs down the drivers side leg with the light loom for that side, then teh right side has the light loom for this side, wiring for radiator temp sendor over ride loom and the battery lines which got put in the back of the car.

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0221-1_zpsefa76da9
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0220-2_zps2ecf1bcd

so the loom was fed down either chassis leg after being half loom taped from the fusebox to the front of the legs roughly, then i put it in some plastic flexable tubing and then black taped over that to keep it all dry, not that the chassis legs will ever hold water.
so then this is just the engine loom running under the front panel and getting the correct lengths of wires to each plug, i done them one by one after adam giving me some lessons in cutting, soldering shrink wrapping so i was more confident as i hadnt done wiring before and just looking at it makes me cringe big time!
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0227-3_zpseecbb691
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0228-3_zps8c8a5daa

little work station with wiring joys
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0229-1_zpsc467f6fa

so i wanted to do something a little different with the wiring other than just a normal loom tape job, at work we use this kind of thing on our machines so i thought i would give it a go, it took 10 hours nearly to do the bay and light loom, also done the rad loom as you can see that through the top of my slam panel as i thought it was a cleaver idea to cut big holes in it.

basically its a sheeve that you slide wires into, all black and a nice weave on the go, it does how ever need some thought on cutting plugs off, and getting all teh heat shrink on in order to close teh ends of the sheeving up once the plug end is soldered back on, i dont all this whilst making the wires longers and shorter. this is how theengine loom comes up through the front mount
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 5AB38243-2D79-4D81-B0FE-40E732BE0974-235-000000BEB3E2DC02
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 12 2013, 10:13

i forgot take a few step by step photos of the engine loom, i installed a boost gauge and later on a oil pressure gauge as the original one on the clocks was telling me i had then didnt have pressure.

so first of all (same step with the wiring plugs) i used heat shrink to make the end of the wire/pipe look black. so imagen the plug soldered on, heat shrink fed upto the ends of the wires on teh plugs and heated up, by this time you would have put the correct length of sheeve over the wiring with an additional two piece of heat shrink to hold each end of the sheeve down, and dont forgot teh heat shrink under the sheeve to go over the wires you just soldered back together.

Before you put the sheeve on you need to use a soldering ion to burn the ends to stop it from fraying

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 3FFBBB97-20D2-4B25-BAFD-1C8A7C3FA93B-235-000000C00CF6E183

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 E40C364D-8C9B-4865-870E-4D628C523FB3-235-000000BFE957BD39

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 109F43B2-368B-49A8-B0E6-EF1A9320EA7A-235-000000BFFA07F295

so one wire is simple once you get used to getting everything on before the plug. And yes I did have to unsolder plugs again!

So with the boost gauge and oil pressure going into the car I wanted to run them together in the nay and into the car as one wire instead of two. So the boost line comes off above the head between inlet and the pump and the oil pressure at the side of the head, so are pretty close and flow together nicely, so this is where the "two into one wire" comes in. Basically a length oh sheeve and two more pieces of heat shrink, two wires fed into the one bigger piece of sheeve, heat shrink slid over the end of one piece of sheeve onto the two single pieces and then heated up. Then the other piece slid to the end of the wires and shrunk that end which ends up in the car.
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 623BF870-CB49-473A-B5E4-B46D5B04C7B9-235-000000C0326A85E9

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 37EFA06D-599F-4379-9979-C381CE22C89B-235-000000C08A71DA9F

Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 12 2013, 10:28

as you can see from the first wiring photos to the last one of the install of the gauge pipes/feeds the hole seems to be together. so will now back track and try fit what happened in between.

with the battery being in the boot i needed to run nice thick cables from battery to starter, earths and bstarted to the alt (i used a different thickness for this one) so i got some welding earth cable from teh local welding place and some ends to solder on, so with the ends soldered on i repeated the steps on the sheeving so all teh wires and cables match in the bay and nothing looks out of place.

with a bit of thinking or where to put the earth on the engine, i thought i would mimic the original design with the bolt on the gearbox, so i took out my skimmed stainless bolts and stuck it in teh lathe, these being m12 nice and chunky to remove a little from the head with no danger of weakness, so i drilled and tapped the head to m8 about 6mm deep. then of corse it all bolts up with the earth in between teh two piece, and again skimmed the letters off of the m8 bolt.

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DB1FBCA4-2DDE-4CAF-9C14-412C5F9DFDF6-8110-00000802E718E8D0

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 F63A6E52-31F8-4EE8-9826-2D963E71754B-2299-0000019CF43F1CBD

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0251_zps04088796

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0252-1_zps54e71407

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 972332C8-1B67-4959-A0AB-89EE78B7DC13-8110-0000080396D22E64

Last edited by curtis_caddy on Sat Jan 12 2013, 10:50; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 12 2013, 10:41

so thanks to chris getting my addicted to AN fittings, what started out as making some turbo feed and return lines turned into trying to keep everything black to match the sheeve on the wiring. ended up in my breather tank i wanted to make having weld on spout in AN males to mate with teh lines i planed on making. so obviously nothing comes with these fittings for this idea from vw, so i had stu at work weld on a steel fitting to the cam cover, anyone who knows the original cam cover has a ugly bracket and a filter stuck on top than breathes from block and cam cover and feeds into the inlet and fills it with shite. so teh breather tank works and looks pretty cool too. so the old bracket came off the cam cover with the spot rivet dips welded and smoothed, and the already existing hole from the breather having teh male fitting welded on.
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0233-2_zps827e99ea
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0235-2_zpsfb9f9682

so that was pretty simple fix, next onto the block where the breather pipe would normaly come up and go to the head area, my pipe was already broken anyway. so i was going to have to buy a new one of those if i wanted to keep that set up. so i took measurements from the block end and made a plate up, amchined the O ring grove in it to seal it to the block like the original and got stu to weld an alloy AN male fitting here too, also gave it a plash of sattin black, looks factory to the un trained eye, the cam cover also ended up sattin black with an original deisel oil warning sticker going on.

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EBFA642B-3780-453B-8D57-32B0AA1518F0-2299-0000019CDA2E184D

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 29F22896-7B3E-438B-9E4B-56F2C014DFF4-2299-0000019D076BBC82

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 C0AAE3FE-16AB-484E-81E4-A0D857D8C4DC-2299-0000019D1876F737

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 DSC_0236-1_zps1f112224

fitted to the block, also see teh AN fitting for the turbo oil feed

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 8F3B1948-291B-41ED-B467-9B18724125DB-2299-0000019D46C30741

i didnt take many photos of making the breather and brackets, fitment etc so will get some soon as its back out the car again for clean anodising-
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 7858705510_817c5a8846
filters by the pinstriper, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
curtis_caddy

curtis_caddy

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 12 2013, 11:12

So what seems ages ago now the turbo, down pipe etc was all on, I sent the turbo off to have if inspected and wasn't up for boost pressures I wanted to run, and it worked out better to buy a unit that flowed so much better than the t3, but nothing was s direct fit. So dan made me an adaptor, ended up over an inch thick and in 316 stainless, all done on manual machines, and then I finished it off by porting each end to match the manifold and turbo, dan did take a lot of material out on the mill to save time or me. Think it took 6 hours between us. (I think I have posted photos of this before but here it is anyway)

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 8058820667_e7cc5080c2
adaptor 2 by the pinstriper, on Flickr
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 8058820667_e7cc5080c2
adaptor 2 by the pinstriper, on Flickr

So turbo mounting situation sorted, time for the old down pipe to get cut up, (had already painted and wrapped it) new flange on the garrett unit- I couldn't find an off the shelf 5 bolt flange for this anywhere even in America. So a few measurements and test pieces in alloy to make sure I got the holes in the correct place I marked up the only piece of 8mm steel I had to hand and set about making my own flange, to the and in a V band making the down pipe easy to come out if needed (and yeh it's had to come out due to turbo failure already)

So here is some step by step photos of said flange-
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 8FEA3F46-B885-4C51-9EB5-7C2531A33C3A-2299-0000019DE5EEF42B

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 F4E3F855-9A77-4178-929E-17636A10C871-2299-0000019E022DE29E

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 0E794315-EDA1-480C-B045-AD43A0D63095-2299-0000019E1B0A8176

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 729A381E-FAA9-4B00-A691-DB76DF07AFBB-2299-0000019E2F680F9A

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 542F3958-7D05-4105-94CF-1848B7D3CDDD-2299-0000019E59176CBA

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 A11C043A-4010-4D02-913B-943A1A7A1A92-2299-0000019E695ECE3D

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 23CA2DDA-14F4-4099-AFC9-0899EF914742-2299-0000019E74314F3D

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 6A7B88C1-9FED-4648-BE26-70D00F08D6B7-2299-0000019E817E21FA

I got a cheap V band set up off eBay 2.5" to match the down pipe I made for the t3. I found the t3 down pipe with the simple square 4 bolt fixing tricky to get on and off over the studs on the turbo once it was in the car. So V band was good for fitment, and as you can see the holes in the flange are actually 2" not the 2.5" I needed.

So I took a slice off a length of 2" steel tube I had, and started hammering it out to expand it upto 2.5" to mate with the v band. Due to the V band sitting heavily over to one side both ends had to be shapped different. I did manage to get both sides out of one piece which was super handy too

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 485D46E6-8EEA-4F6B-9D23-10DE544ECE6C-2299-0000019E9170DE1B

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 67CB2E36-4E2E-4EC7-9D24-43656EEEAFBE-2299-0000019EA34885C2

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 AD33399B-C2AD-4CFE-8E39-99F48223C850-2299-0000019EB32311DB

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 4ED10457-773F-46CB-9FA8-070751F3498D-2299-0000019EBEFBB517

I take and finished cutting it in at home, back to work the following week for stu to weld up
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 34483C4F-B8EF-43A2-9A6F-15D820D5457B-2299-0000019ED396D5B6

then i smootherd the insides out ready for coating, blasted it then sent it all off
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 7741633782_4db9e7d07d
flange by the pinstriper, on Flickr

And then had it ceramic coated with the down pipe and exhaust manifold
mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 F94F92DB-FACB-4018-AE4B-F42DDB2833A9-2299-0000019EE7FE9271

Back to top Go down
caddyman

caddyman

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 12 2013, 12:14

god i do love this car lol soon be done dude Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be   mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

mk2 golf mtdi build-daily to be
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next