fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mk2 golf temperature gauge

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ell

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-05

mk2 golf temperature gauge Empty
PostSubject: mk2 golf temperature gauge   mk2 golf temperature gauge EmptyFri Aug 05 2011, 21:53

hi all,
i have a mark 2 golf driver 1.6 and im in need of some advise, ive read a similar post on here about the same instances occuring to me of the alternator belt snapping off & the batery light coming on but i ended driving another 30 miles with the problem till i had seen there was steam coming from the coolant tank.
the temperature gauge was not working at the time, but as i got the belt sorted thought i best do that at the same time and i got a new temperature sensor the red on i think it was.
temperature gauge now works but always saying the car is overheating after the first 5 miles of a jounrey, but it is far from overheating no signs of doing the head gasket so i was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or a similar ??????????

thanks ell
Back to top Go down
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf temperature gauge   mk2 golf temperature gauge EmptySat Aug 06 2011, 10:56

where did you get the sensor from?

is it genuine VAG?
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf temperature gauge   mk2 golf temperature gauge EmptySat Aug 06 2011, 13:10

My monies on the fact it boiled up, and it whacked the stat and now it wont take the correct amount of water and bleed properly ie theres an air lock and its boiling on the head.

Do you get proper heat in the car ? (see as its summer you wouldnt use it !)

Not sure which ones the temp sender on a 1600 but red doesnt sound right surely theyre brown or blue or even black but hey if it works go with it.
Back to top Go down
ell

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf temperature gauge   mk2 golf temperature gauge EmptySun Aug 07 2011, 20:09

bridgedubber Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:56 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where did you get the sensor from?

is it genuine VAG?

hi bridgedubber,
i got it from abbey motor factors in bury and i dont think it is gonna be a genuine vag i think it was DELPHi

&

hi guy,
how wud i be able to verify that as in the air lock?
and on the way to bug jam i put the heating on as the temperature gauge went up and teh gauge started to go down as i put the heating on
it may have been the black one then rather than the red

thanks for the help chaps
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf temperature gauge   mk2 golf temperature gauge EmptyFri Aug 12 2011, 07:44

If the thermostat decides to be an arse and stay shut then they are a complete b*****d to bleed up.

When you fill them you must fill them with the heater slider all the way over to hot, this is to allow the heater matrix to fill properly.
If you dont fill the matrix properly you can bet your bottom dollar it'll air lock.
Often a good thrash or a long run will sort this out as long as it doesnt boil on the head and cause more issues.

I'm betting that when you changed the sensor that you let loads of coolant out and then just topped up with the heater on cold, hence why its been erratic ever since.

Since going to bug jam and putting the heater on have you had to top up the coolant ?
Has it been fine since ? (temp or coolant loss)

If its still doing it then thermostat its the next step along with water pump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mk2 golf temperature gauge   mk2 golf temperature gauge Empty

Back to top Go down

mk2 golf temperature gauge
Page 1 of 1