fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

need info about mk2 golf conversions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
daz207

daz207

Male Number of posts : 4
Drives : mk4 golf 1.8t (180)
Registration date : 2011-07-11

need info about mk2 golf conversions Empty
PostSubject: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions EmptyMon Jul 11 2011, 16:48

hi every one i had a golf mk4 1.8t (180) engine code AUQ but some one drove in to me and now it is a write of but engine is all good and was thinking of puting it in a mk2 golf but before i go buy a mk2 i wanted to no how easy or hard it is to do Smile

Thanks

Darren
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions EmptyMon Jul 11 2011, 19:54

The short answer is relatively easy.
The long answer is that's a bit involved and depends on how much you want to spend doing the conversion yourself or whether you want to pay someone to do it for you.

If you're mechanically competent it's almost a straight swap if you have the right bits.
Firstly rip the mk2 engine and loom but leave the lighting ones.
Pull the engine and box from the mk4 and trial fit it in the mk2 making/adjusting mounts as needed
Remove it, then install mk4 loom and un immobilised ecu and also a hydraulic clutch pedal box from a corrado vr6.
Sort out the exhaust issues. Put it all back in.

There's loads of info put there, qpeng have a picture guide (google it)

Good luck.

You can do this all in a weekend if you have the know how and collect all the bits before hand.
Back to top Go down
daz207

daz207

PostSubject: Re: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions EmptyTue Jul 12 2011, 10:20

Cheers for replying Smile defo going for the mk2 now just need to find a tidy one Smile

Can I ask why can't I use the gear box of the mk4 ? Is it because it won't fit as it is a 6speed box ?
The vr6 gear box will fit strate on the 1.8t will it ?
What drive shafts will I have to use ?

Sorry for the list lol just wanna no everything I need to do before I do it

Thanks

Darren
Back to top Go down
daz207

daz207

PostSubject: Re: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions EmptyTue Jul 12 2011, 17:31

and what do you mean un immobilised ecu wont i be able to use the one of the mk4 golf ?

cheers

darren
Back to top Go down
RS4Paul

RS4Paul

Male Number of posts : 185
Drives : vw T5 ,new Tiguan, RS4 B5
Registration date : 2008-11-14

PostSubject: Re: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions EmptyTue Jul 12 2011, 17:41

The key and the clocks have transponders in so even if a wrong key fits and turns it wont start . so unless you want mk4 clocks and the mk4 ignition key fitted you will have to get it un imobilized ..........Mik at MV developments might be able to help ,he helped me in the past
Back to top Go down
RS4Paul

RS4Paul

Male Number of posts : 185
Drives : vw T5 ,new Tiguan, RS4 B5
Registration date : 2008-11-14

PostSubject: Re: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions EmptyTue Jul 12 2011, 17:42

But that engine would be better in a Mk1
Back to top Go down
RM2WAS

Male Number of posts : 256
Drives : occasionally
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions EmptyTue Jul 12 2011, 18:31

daz207 wrote:
and what do you mean un immobilised ecu wont i be able to use the one of the mk4 golf ?

cheers

darren

you can use the mk4 ecu, but you'll need to send it to somebody like stealth racing to get the immobilizer removed, should cost about £100.

The vr6 gearbox won't fit on as it has the wrong stud pattern, but I believe you can get mounts from dutchdubs so you could then use your 6 speed box. Although if you do go the 6 speed route I'm not sure what shafts you will need. Your best bet is to get a 5 speed from a mk3 or mk4 TD, it will bolt straight in and give you nice cruising ratios, you can then use the standard mk2 shafts.

If you whip out both the mk2 and mk4 loom and send them off to Andy Outhwaite at ACR he will splice them together for a nice and easy plug and play setup.

Qpeng will sell you a downpipe which is the worst bit of the exhaust to sort, other than that get an intercooler and pipework, slim line fan, a few waterpipes and Roberts you mothers brother.
Back to top Go down
guy
guy

PostSubject: Re: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions EmptyTue Jul 12 2011, 18:42

There you go, easy peasy, oh there are issues with throttle bodies too, if you have fly by wire you have to p**s about but if its on a cable you're in like flynn.

I can help you with the ecu immobiliser issue, I have a friend who does it for £90.
Back to top Go down
daz207

daz207

PostSubject: Re: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions EmptyTue Jul 12 2011, 21:18

So the 6speed box will go in the mk2 then all I got to do is find driveshafts and get different mounts ? Any one no what driveshafts will fit ? Or would the 5speed box be better ?

I don't really wanna put the clocks in the mk4 in the mk2 so if it only cost 90 to get the ecu sorted I think that's the way

I got told today I will have to change the fuel tank as well :s is that true ?
Back to top Go down
RM2WAS

Male Number of posts : 256
Drives : occasionally
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions EmptyWed Jul 13 2011, 19:16

nope, as long as you get a GTi model, the standard tank and pumps will be fine.

Back to top Go down
guy
guy

PostSubject: Re: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions EmptyWed Jul 13 2011, 23:16

The 6speed box does fit but you have to modify the subframe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need info about mk2 golf conversions   need info about mk2 golf conversions Empty

Back to top Go down

need info about mk2 golf conversions
Page 1 of 1