HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tiz

Male Number of posts : 3773
Drives : myself mental
Registration date : 2008-01-28

1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro Empty
PostSubject: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyWed Dec 22 2010, 19:55

Wasnt sure if anybody on here would be interested in this... but just incase here is my metro build thread copied over from retro rides.

Righty its about time i did a build thread for this i guess.

Spotted it up on retro rides for 200. Having always fancied an early metro and always loving white cars with red interiors i had to have it. It had running problems, bald tyres and has a rusty front valence. Short MOT and short tax but i had to have it. Gave the guy 150 for it and drove it home about 30 miles with it missing and farting about, stalling at every junction, hard to start and no power but i absolutely loved it! Not to mention it has only covered 45k, aside from the front valance is solid as a rock! no rust anywhere else at all really. The drivers side rear arch has had a big of a bash at some point but that will all be fixed and painted in the near future.

How i bought it:
1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro 39539_10150287936770462_793020461_15179926_5235927_n
1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro 66910_10150287936905462_793020461_15179928_5612060_n
1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro 67414_10150287937435462_793020461_15179941_5869055_n

The next morning i got straight out of bed and started making it work properly. It had new points and a new condensor but the points were barely opening, put it this way none of my feeler gauges would fit in the gap! So i set them correctly. Cleaned the plugs up and gave the carb a tweak. It was instantly better! it was like a new car, drove great, pretty nippy for such little power and gave great mpg. Changed the oil filter and some fresh oil and i thought that was going to be it, just smoke around in it now and again as it was number 3 in my little fleet didnt expect to use it much but somehow i managed to fall in love with it and started making plans. Engine swap was first on the agenda i went through lots of options, honda single cams, k series, tuned bigger a series, metro turbo engine but on a little ebay hunt i came across part of a supercharger "kit" which consisted of the inlet manifold, some crap gaskets, a belt that was too small, half of the bolts and fixings i needed, a tensioner and a horribly bent bit of pipe with some crappy looking flanges either end. Believed to be a jonspeed kit but no way of knowing for sure i guess. Well i paid 260 for it and ive modified pretty much all of it and used hardly any of the original bits so not sure how great of an investment that was. Found a charger for 170 that was in pretty good shape.

The biggest challenge came when i was trying to find a crank pulley. There are some off the shelf from jonspeed, vmaxx etc but all varying prices, varying quality of customer service(from poor to awful!) All of them were far too big and would create around 22psi+ of boost with my set up which is ridiculous! I did the calculations and it came out that an 80mm pulley would give me around 10psi after losses. Got some quotes from various engineering companies to make a complete custom pulley, quotes came in from 150 - 300 which i wasnt prepared to pay as i was trying to do this on a budget. A friend of mine suggested a guy he works with who is great on the machines. So after having a chat with him we decided to machine the standard pulley to accept a bolt on pulley to drive the supercharger. This meant less cost and if i ever wanted to change pulley sizes another one could be made easier to bolt onto the stock crank/v belt pulley. I had this made wider incase i wanted to ever run a more "man sized" belt in the future.

1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro Pbucket

I was very impressed! the finish and quality was fantastic! Very tightly machined even with the bolts removed it takes some force to seperate the 2 faces i cant do it with my bare hands and im a big guy! This pulley and he machined the inlet flange on the supercharger flat(as it normally has a lip to accept a rubber hose on the cooper S) and he only charged me 80 so i was chuffed to bits. Will most definitely be using him in the future for any bits!

Again as this is on a budget i kept looking at the inlet manifold/exhaust manifold combo thinking surely i could just cut off the inlet part, bit of grinding and it would be just like the mg metro item? It uses a twin downpipe and looks like it would flow pretty well so this saves me money on buying an lcb manifold, standard exhaust will do for now(back box has been removed and straight piped with 2.5" upswept polish tailpipe, not loud at all sounds nice). Did a little bit of porting work on it too to smooth flow out a bit. and open it up to gasket size(looks rough in the picture but is just dirt/reflection in the picture)

From the start of the project i wanted a big polished open trumpet on the end of the carb, so i bought one. Looks awesome i think! I really have a passion for carbs, they are such an engineering masterpiece and can look fantastic! Especially a polished SU

After some trial fitting of the supercharger it looked like i was going to have to modify the blower unit as the pulley almost sits on it. After looking inside and seeing there is a lot of room between the duct and the fan blades i think i could be able to cut the offending area out, flip it over so rather than it being convex it will be concave and plastic weld it back in. Should look pretty factory but give the room i need for the belt and pulley to be safe.

The red line is where it will need cutting

The next thing to do was drill and tap the end of the supercharger to accept the 4 m5 bolts to hold the carb to supercharger pipe flange. There isnt much "meat" here to get a good bite but some of them i can get a nut on the back and some i will just threadlock in.

They wont be the only thing holding the carb on anyway as i plan to make a nice bracket to hold the carb to the engine. These supercharger setups always suffer from carb icing. This is due to the absurdly long pipe they use to connect the supercharger to the carb which puts the carb right down near the distributor in the direct cold air flow. Doesnt take a genious to work out this is going to cause the fuel to drop out of suspension in the super cold air and cause carb freezing. Id say the piping is a good 2 feet long! I didnt want all this and i wanted the carb in a different place anyway. So i cut the pip down and angled it so it would sit about 4 inches from the supercharger meaning the pipe should warm up nicely. The bracket i plan on making will bolt to the 2 bottom carb mounting bolts and then to the exhaust manifold studs so this again should transfer some heat. This should completely eliminate the carb freezing issues. Not to mention looking a lot better.

Flange bolted on looks good(even if the flange shape is a little poor by the kit makers)

Hmmmm perhaps not, that doesnt look good for flow

see how much of the supercharger inlet blocks the inlet on the flange? I will mark this and port it out to match the profile of the flange, unless it will make the material too thin on the charger in that case i will just get it as close as i can and smooth and polish it to make the best of a bad design for now.

Once that was done i did a mock up of the supercharger to see where i could mount the carb and what i needed to do.

inlet on

Charger, crank pulley and belt on

There was a perfect space between the mastercylinders, battery and coil that i was looking for to keep the pipe work short and simple! So i cut the pipe at the right angle and went to weld it up.. Great no gas, So i couldnt weld it up nicely but i could make a couple of crappy tacks to get the fitment right and see how it was going to look. I'll get another bottle of argoshield after christmas and weld it up nicely.

sits quite high though... Of course i wont be cutting a silly hole in the bonnet for the dash pot to sit out of. I think the best thing to do will be making some bonnet raisers to make the bonnet sit up at the back, should aid cooling a little bit more and put the bonnet vents a bit more direct in the flow so that should help too. (i think it looks cool too but shhhhh thats probably the inner chav)

And i really need to get a new front plate, but what a cool front view

With that done and airhose from my compressor all over the floor i needed to make a hose reel. I have my "tester" wheel from when i made some reversed steels so that was it! a cool deep dish steel hose reel

Hopefully everybody who is reading this is still awake, sorry for the long first post but wanted to get it all up to date. I will carry on from here now. Videos when its running of the noise will be of course provided!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyWed Dec 22 2010, 19:56

Righty well todays progress then.

The header tank was so filthy I could never see where the coolant was etc not to mention how crappy it looks(i know the rest of the engine bay looks like crap at the moment but once ive got everything figured out and modified to fit round the charger etc I'm going to look into cleaning it up and hiding things as I really want to show it next year)

This is how it started out:

Soaked it in bleach and boiling water inside and out. Not looking too bad now but going to leave over night

Right thats enough of the washing up in the warm... Out into the cold we go :( Decided today I would have a crack at my heater box modification and it couldnt have gone better... Apart from slapping myself in the face somehow with the soldering iron when I was plastic welding and burned my face :( hurts pretty bad.

Finished product

As you can see gives me loads more clearence for the charger, absolutely loads of room inside still and its perfectly sealed. Best bit is when the charger is in and you just look in the bay you wouldnt even know its been done which is what I was hoping for.

Noticed that the outlet at the bottom of the charger covered half of the inlet manifold well... inlet. Which would have been absolutely crap for flow. So using the suplied gasket I marked it out and cut it all out with my die grinder and carbide cutter. Looks a little rough in the phtotos but its smooth to the touch and should flow nicely. Also opened up the charger inlet a little as I mentioned before

Then I bolted the crank pulley on to 80ftlbs/108nm and knocked over the lock tab washer(i put a cheeky dab of thread lock on the threads too, to make sure) and tried the belt back on with the tensioner on and belt under tension. Ignore the huge bolt its all I had laying around I will get some new bolts. Looks like the bottom water hose wont fit between the belt like I was hoping for and it wont fit behind it normally

So I need to extend it backwards and lengthen the metal bottom rad hose. shouldn't be too much work but it will put the hose in a much safer place rather than inbetween the belt

Next up with the tensioner on I notice the breather didnt fit :(

As you can see it fouls on the tensioner bracket :( I think I can cut and shorten the pipe between the canister and the tapet cover to tuck it in a bit tighter so it clears the tensioner bracket. Going to make the hose fit right first and get the exhaust manifold on so I can make sure the final position clears everything before I get too excited. Otherwise has anybody got any better ideas for a breather? Something in the rocker cover maybe? But one in the rocker cover wouldnt be enough would it? Ideally I need this block one and put one in the rocker cover for a forced induction setup shouldnt I really? Or will the one over the tappet cover be fine?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tomstanforster

tomstanforster

Male Number of posts : 1385
Drives : Mk1 Karmann cabby,Mk1 caddy,B3 waggon,2011 caddy van
Registration date : 2009-10-19

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyWed Dec 22 2010, 20:08

this car is mental ,it steve's old car aint it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyWed Dec 22 2010, 20:13

yeah i bought it off him a little while ago, he had given up with it due to the little problems. I sorted them within half an hour of having it home Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tomstanforster

tomstanforster

Male Number of posts : 1385
Drives : Mk1 Karmann cabby,Mk1 caddy,B3 waggon,2011 caddy van
Registration date : 2009-10-19

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyWed Dec 22 2010, 20:19

does it still bob like a tractor,i had a mg metro it was so fun to drive
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dan34

Dan34

Male Number of posts : 1409
Drives : DC5
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyWed Dec 22 2010, 20:22

Awesome progress dude! Be good to see this on the road! 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro 680462
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ec-dc.co.uk
billybug

billybug

Male Number of posts : 4530
Drives : 1993 Mk3 Golf
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyThu Dec 23 2010, 08:33

love it! and the blower looks bigger than the engine Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VW Mike
VW Mike

Male Number of posts : 2138
Drives : LWB T5 and 69 bug - we will see who is fastest on the strip hey Mark ;)
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyThu Dec 23 2010, 08:50

Nice work dude Smile Proper little pocket rocket when it's finished! Always had a soft spot for lowered metros!

[center]www.mightymetamorphicracing.co.uk

Transport available for all your projects...PM me for a quote
[/center]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mightymetamorphicracing.co.uk
bridgedubber

bridgedubber

Male Number of posts : 1831
Drives : mk2 golf gti 2.0 8v, mk2 golf gti 2.0 16v ABF, mk4 golf gt tdi
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyThu Dec 23 2010, 08:59

this was the coolest car steve ever owned
Back to top Go down
View user profile
max

max

Male Number of posts : 2945
Drives : Mk4 GT TDI
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyThu Dec 23 2010, 18:00

This car is fully awesome Tiz. I love how the blower is almost bigger then the block! Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyThu Dec 23 2010, 21:05

max wrote:
This car is fully awesome Tiz.

Fully Agreed Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyFri Dec 24 2010, 19:53

Well..... IT RUNS!! ive had a quick drive, it definately needs some fettling but it runs and drives!

Bit of a combined update from today and yesterday as i spent most of yesterday buzzing around collecting bits and bobs to finish it off and get it going. First i needed a new bottle of gas for the welder. I used to just do a bottle exchange at a local place but BOC are really tightening up on this and are going to start chipping bottles soon. So i thought what the hell i will look into getting a BOC account and doing it all legit. Turned out its only 9 a month and 49 for a full size bottle of gas(holds 3 times as much as my little Y sized bottle). Bare in mind the Y size costs 7 a month and 45 for a bottle it didnt make much sense to go for that. So now im all legal and can easily go get gas whenever i want only 49 for a bottle every time. I really recommend it to anybody who is worried about getting gas as it was so easy and so cheap.

Pic for comparison:

Once I could do some welding again i welded up the inlet pipe(sorry no pirctures) and modified the breather to work the opposite side of the engine so it would clear the charger

Then my minispares ordered turned up with inlet manifold gaskets so i could start putting it together. GREAT!

New thicker and wider washers to spread the load and get a better clamping force(note the frost on the exhaust manifold!)

Then decided i needed a breather in the rocker cover too really so i cut down an old oil pickup pipe i had laying around which made a nice breather boss. Put it between 2 pushrods at the read of the cover so it cant really be seen, its a bit tight against the charger but works fine.

Carb on(you can see the pipe from the breather here too. Decided im going to get a nice polished catch tank off ebay and put it in the top left hand corner of the engine bay, nice area there to bolt it down and pipe the breathers up to.

Sorry I just like this picture

I bought a 1025 belt which turned out to be too short :( so i had to return it and get a 1050 belt. This was just right, needed a little bit of persuasion to get it on but was pretty much spot on. Once i got the belt on I made the water pipes. Sorry i didnt get any pictures of these as i was too excited to get it running! But i basically extended the metal water pipe and the joiner onto the water pump to push the U shaped pipe behind the belt up against the bulkhead so it had no chance of rubbing on the belt.

So yeah VIDEO TIME! Sorry for the shite quality it was shot on my crap blackberry but you get the idea(apart from the dark drive you just get some sound in that). Its running super super rich i think the needle i ordered was a bit OTT so im going to put the ADP back in and reprofile that to work with the setup.

Start Up

Dad Driving it, wanted him to give it more so i could hear the charger whine but he didnt haha

And a drive in the dark(i do have my lights on haha just doesnt look it in the video because the camera is crap)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
k-dubber

k-dubber

Male Number of posts : 103
Drives : mk2 gti 16v :D
Registration date : 2010-09-10

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyFri Dec 24 2010, 21:03

now thats pretty awesome Thumbs up
how long did it take you to get it all working?
Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyFri Dec 24 2010, 21:16

From gathering all the bits to getting it running its been exactly a month! Took about 2 weeks to get it all working and put it together and 2 weeks before to gather all the bits. Probably take me that long again to get it running nice though haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Haz

Haz

Number of posts : 86
Drives : Mk3VR, Ibiza20vt, G40.
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyFri Dec 24 2010, 23:28

Respect Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyTue Dec 28 2010, 20:30

Been having a play with it and found out I had a big leak on the inlet manifold sealing to the head... theres a suprise with the crappy inlet manifold! so it all came off and I got the file out. Filed it all flat, big of instant gasket on the mating faces to make sure and it runs LOADS better not but I cant stop the poxy manifold and downpipes blowing apart those clamps are crap! so its all coming back off to fit an LCB manifold when I order one as it sounds terrible at the moment so thats a bit of a set back

I made 2 plates to raise the boonet and it looked terrible and the bonnet was really unstable due to the weak and thin hinges austin blessed them with. So I decided to cut a hole in the bonnet and edge it with carbon fibre. I quite like it for some reason but thinking of replacing it with some sort of fibreglass bonnet bulge or reversed scoop to stop meddling fingers undoing the dashpot plunger... You know how people are.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyTue Dec 28 2010, 20:30

Stripped it all back down today and looking at it i decided to make my own sort of "LCB" i am sick of those useless clamps and joints on the manifold to downpipe so i cut the 2 into 1 section a little after it turns into 1 to mimic the LCB design. Found some pipe i had laying around that happened to be the perfect sleeve to clamp onto the original pipe so i could have a sleeve joint there rather than the first sleeve joint being on the end of the mid pipe. After tweaking the heat and wire speed settings i managed to get some nice strong welds down(i heated the manifold before to help penetration). They seem to have penetrated well and look like they will hold. Definitely a lot longer than those useless clamps! I figure this is the same setup as the metro MG pretty much so i think it will flow plenty for my setup and will save me the 100 of a decent LCB.

The layout

Welded up

It fits great! and all sleeves up nicely just need to get the right size clamp tomorrow and i can put it all together for hopefully the final time!

Supercharger had to come off to get the manifold off so i thought what the hell lets strip it down and port it. I wasn't happy with how quiet it was anyway i wanted a lot more whine so decided porting and blocking the silencer holes was the way to go for me. Also want to do all of the flow increasing mods to the carb as mentioned in the vizard bible as there looks to be some good gains there and i figure more flow through the carb can only help on a supercharged setup. Oh yeah and decided i wanted to take the gear off the back that drives the waterpump "pto" out the back as its almost had my fingers a couple of times!

Back off

Coming apart

All ported out(shown with a crap out of focus picture that makes the finish look really rough and jagged edges but its all good i assure you!)

Done in accordance with all information and guides i could find online. Basically porting out to the edge of lining it up with the blades. Contemplating carrying the triangle up further into more of a point so it carrys on right to the edge. Currently got the casing in my room next to the heater as ive blocked the silencer holes up with chemical metal as welding warps the case. Some places say not to use chemical metal but lots of people have used it with success. I keyed the area well and drilled some shallow holes around the edge and inside of the ports to ensure it could get a good bite and ive had a lot of success with it in the past so i have faith!

I also found out its easier to bolt the charger to the manifold then to the head as its really had to get to all the bolts on the flat plate that hold the charger on. Its a little fiddly doing all the inlet washers and nuts so temporarily superglued the nuts to the washers to help getting them back on in one piece.

and the metro up on the ramps and axle stands waiting for it to all go back together.

Should hopefully be back together and running again tomorrow with any luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonnyboy17

jonnyboy17

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyTue Dec 28 2010, 22:34

Genuinely Awesome that!

Makes me tempted to Charge the Jetta.. but not in the usual way. Hmmm.

Need to see another vid when the whine is more prominent.

Jonny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whittle

whittle

Male Number of posts : 1882
Drives : along the pavement
Registration date : 2009-09-11

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyThu Dec 30 2010, 21:48

That is so sick man
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptySat Jan 01 2011, 12:07

Back to top Go down
View user profile
guy
guy

Male Number of posts : 1689
Drives : MK 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, T5
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptySat Jan 01 2011, 14:49

Good skills Tom !!

With your expansion tank if you fill it with kettle cleaner and leave it to soak, then just before you empty it out go and find some pea shingle off the drive (or similar(I have small glass beads)) pop it in the bottle and shake like a mother fucker and all the crap will come out and it'll look shiney shiney.

View user profile
Tiz

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptySat Jan 01 2011, 15:26

guy wrote:

Good skills Tom !!

With your expansion tank if you fill it with kettle cleaner and leave it to soak, then just before you empty it out go and find some pea shingle off the drive (or similar(I have small glass beads)) pop it in the bottle and shake like a mother fucker and all the crap will come out and it'll look shiney shiney.

Cheers mate Smile ah! that sounds like a good idea i'll have to give that a go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowvalve

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-07-07

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro EmptyFri Jan 21 2011, 13:36

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro   1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro Empty

Back to top Go down

1982 Supercharged 998cc A Series Metro
Page 1 of 1