fendubbers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mk2 coilovers.............help please.

Go down 
+2
LOWANDSLOW
duxdubber
6 posters
AuthorMessage
duxdubber

duxdubber

Male Number of posts : 55
Drives : mk2 golf gti 16v and discovery 3
Registration date : 2010-08-20

mk2 coilovers.............help please. Empty
PostSubject: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 18:44

To some this is gonna be a stoopid question, can anyone tell me how to adjust the ride height of my coilovers as they were already fitted to my car when i bought it but have never used a car with them on.

cheers peeps scratch
Back to top Go down
LOWANDSLOW

LOWANDSLOW

Male Number of posts : 877
Drives : Mk2 golf 8v
Registration date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 18:51

You need a c spanner mate and wd40 ! There are two spinning locknut (If you are lucky they are not stuck) One sets the height and the other locks it in position adjust and make sure you measure so you know what height to set the otherside at! Thanks a rough guide mk2 coilovers.............help please. 51732
Back to top Go down
duxdubber

duxdubber

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 18:58

Ok cool. Where and what does a c spanner look like? I know the two nuts your on about, where is the best place to measure to and from. Is measuring the amount of thread below the lower nut accurate enough?
Thanks for the advice. Very Happy Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:03

If you havent got the C spanners have a look on ebay but sizes vary though so you will need to measure your adjuster ring.

measuring the thread is a good way to get each side close but to get the same ride height either side the coilovers may need to be at different heights Wink Also the amount you drop on thread does not equal the same on ride height.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
LOWANDSLOW

LOWANDSLOW

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:11

Like matty said look on ebay or speak to some one who sells coilovers for the c spanner ! When you take the wheel look for some where fixed to measure off!
Back to top Go down
jonnyboy17

jonnyboy17

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:17

like already been said, c spanner on ebay. but if you havent got one, hammer and a punch to knock the adjuster rings round.
Back to top Go down
LOWANDSLOW

LOWANDSLOW

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:21

ROUGH JONNY ROUGH LOL mk2 coilovers.............help please. 795435 Or just borrow on !
Back to top Go down
duxdubber

duxdubber

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:21

Brilliant, thanks for the advice. Just to confirm, to lower the ride height of the car you have to tighten the rings (squeezing the spring tighter)? How do I know when I have reached the maximum limit both ways?
Sorry for sounding so dumb but wanna get it right. Wink
Back to top Go down
Lupton_20vt

Lupton_20vt

Male Number of posts : 6815
Registration date : 2009-02-01

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:23

duxdubber wrote:
Brilliant, thanks for the advice. Just to confirm, to lower the ride height of the car you have to tighten the rings (squeezing the spring tighter)? How do I know when I have reached the maximum limit both ways?

the lower you want the car the further down you want the rings.
Back to top Go down
duxdubber

duxdubber

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:24

LOWANDSLOW wrote:
ROUGH JONNY ROUGH LOL mk2 coilovers.............help please. 795435 Or just borrow on !

Does sound a bit extreme. lol!
Back to top Go down
whittle

whittle

Male Number of posts : 1882
Drives : along the pavement
Registration date : 2009-09-11

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:24

duxdubber wrote:

other way around.

thread the lockrings downwards. you will know when you have reached the limit as the lockrings will fall off, or the arch will rest on the tyre
Back to top Go down
duxdubber

duxdubber

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:27

whittle wrote:
duxdubber wrote:

other way around.

thread the lockrings downwards. you will know when you have reached the limit as the lockrings will fall off, or the arch will rest on the tyre

Downwards?? You sure? I thought tightening the springs (upwards) would make it sit lower?
Back to top Go down
whittle

whittle

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:28

duxdubber wrote:
whittle wrote:
duxdubber wrote:

other way around.

Downwards?? You sure? I

slaphead

Last edited by whittle on Mon Sep 13 2010, 19:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
matty_mk1

matty_mk1

Male Number of posts : 6255
Drives : Mk2 audi TT / BBM mk2 VR / Air'd passat wagen
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:30

duxdubber wrote:
whittle wrote:
duxdubber wrote:

other way around.

Downwards?? You sure? I thought tightening the springs (upwards) would make it sit lower?

LOL seriously dude, you want the body to go lower, so wind the adjuster down.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=680468476&
duxdubber

duxdubber

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:37

Your the experts (compared to me) Wink , so i will be winding the rings downwards. Excellent! Thanks again for all the advice. gives me a job to do at some point this week before sunday at players. Thumbs up
Back to top Go down
whittle

whittle

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:38

duxdubber wrote:
Your the experts (compared to me) Wink , so i will be winding the rings downwards. Excellent! Thanks again for all the advice. gives me a job to do at some point this week before sunday at players. Thumbs up

Put a photo up once its done!
Back to top Go down
duxdubber

duxdubber

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. EmptyMon Sep 13 2010, 19:43

whittle wrote:
duxdubber wrote:

Put a photo up once its done!

I would if i could but seem to have problems posting photos on here. It sits low anyway as you can see in my avatar pic but i gotta a feeling the front is slightly higher than the rear. Want to get it as low as poss without the wheels rubbing as its sitting on 17s!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mk2 coilovers.............help please.   mk2 coilovers.............help please. Empty

Back to top Go down

mk2 coilovers.............help please.
Page 1 of 1